Slee Skid Plate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've loved my slee plate. Sure it's quite concave now, but considering the fact that I've dropped a 7000 lb rig on it more times than I can count it seems to be holding up OK.

Haven't managed to bend mine yet (but there's always tomorrow).

Better mousetrap material: I do wish the forward/center set of bolt heads on the xfr skid were better protected. Can't believe I haven't sheared one off yet. Also, had to do some minor grinding for better clearance at the xfr case to avoid annoying contact vibration.

Very curious of what @reevesci has cooking...will be keeping watch on that development.

Haven't managed to bend mine yet (but there's always tomorrow).

Better mousetrap material: I do wish the forward/center set of bolt heads on the xfr skid were better protected. Can't believe I haven't sheared one off yet. Also, had to do some minor grinding for better clearance at the xfr case to avoid annoying contact vibration.

Very curious of what @reevesci has cooking...will be keeping watch on that development.

Creeper's design is really nice starting point. Everything can be improved in many ways, but there has to be a point of diminishing returns.
His 2.0 version was very stout.

Creeper's design is really nice starting point. Everything can be improved in many ways, but there has to be a point of diminishing returns.
His 2.0 version was very stout.
I've sent J some info on this :) I have version like 1.2 (and have managed to bend very minor).

Hard to tell by this photo but the center of that skid plate is deflected up about 1/2" from the edges. I love this plate.
IMG_0029_zpsirkmziu7.JPG

It's official. I have acquired the Creeper Sleeper skid jig. I should have it in hand early next week and then just need some time to put it into production.

I'll have these available for sale soon.

Jason
Dang...a week too late for me. Got tired of waiting and went with the Cruisin plates instead...

Jason,
will that fat lip be part of the design too and maybe, hopefully a vertical brace to the frame?

View attachment 1615444

From what I can tell the last two pics are two different versions. I plan to make a few changes:

1) the main plate will be one piece instead of two. More than likely I'll go to 3/8" with 1/4" gussets.
2) lengthen the stiffner gussets and go the full length of the main plate with a pitch.
3) make the plate work for drains for early and late 80s.

By looking at @retrofive pics the outer edge of the plate is thin and not reinforced by the gusset. So, by lengthening and pitching the gussets this will eliminate that weak area. Not to mention making the plate thicker. IMO, a main skid should be a minimum of 1/4" HSLA steel within 18" of any support. After that the thickness should be increased.

As far as a frame/vertical support, I'm not sure yet. I need to get my hands on it and build one with the above mods before I'm able to answer that. From the mods above I currently don't see a need for the brace.

J

Full disclosure about mine. @CreeperSleeper had some personal stuff going on at the time, his dad stepped in and built mine. I drove up to attend Cruisin the Woods event (great event BTW for anybody looking for some Oregon fun) and creep and I installed the night before (8-9yrs ago). Bolted up perfect and been there since. So mine is sort of a one off compared to the pic drag posts with the "fat lip". Hence I said v1.2.

I've emailed J more pics and can provide more for this development to him. He is in the driver seat here and I won't say anything more until he says so.

I look forward to this simple effective skid being back in production and what TT will do with it. @CreeperSleeper is great guy and his simple solution has been effective for this piece.

Last edited:
From what I can tell the last two pics are two different versions. I plan to make a few changes:

1) the main plate will be one piece instead of two. More than likely I'll go to 3/8" with 1/4" gussets.
2) lengthen the stiffner gussets and go the full length of the main plate with a pitch.
3) make the plate work for drains for early and late 80s.

By looking at @retrofive pics the outer edge of the plate is thin and not reinforced by the gusset. So, by lengthening and pitching the gussets this will eliminate that weak area. Not to mention making the plate thicker. IMO, a main skid should be a minimum of 1/4" HSLA steel within 18" of any support. After that the thickness should be increased.

As far as a frame/vertical support, I'm not sure yet. I need to get my hands on it and build one with the above mods before I'm able to answer that. From the mods above I currently don't see a need for the brace.

J
Ok well it looks like im gonna wait on this. I remember @CreeperSleeper thread and loved that design but it wasn't available when I tried to get one. I will be looking forward to this finished up.

Ok well it looks like im gonna wait on this. I remember @CreeperSleeper thread and loved that design but it wasn't available when I tried to get one. I will be looking forward to this finished up.

I'm in for that skid, @reevesci :cool:

I'm slammed right now with customer rigs, but have these on the weekend to do list. Just not sure what weekend it will be yet. I have a few things in front of it I have to get finished up.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom