Factory roof rack removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the link. From that thread it appears that any 6 mount rack from 1998-2000 or 2003+ would fit the truck. Remaining questions are whether the crossbars are the same width, and whether I would have to purchase different trim pieces to complete the installation.

where can I order them can you post a link I need asap already removed factory rack .. hope it doesn,t rain....

The part number listed on the receipt is 75557-60010 and the description is "moulding". I apologize, I threw away the package they came in or I would have made sure that number is the same. If this number doesn't work, you can check with CDan, I bought them from him.

If you "google" the part number, all sorts of online options pop up. The covers themselves won't keep water out, they're purely cosmetic. The screws/bolts with sealant is what keeps the water out.

I have a 98 with the 6 mounting points. How do I access the center mount bolts for removal? It doesn't appear that the cover can pop off like the two end mounts as it is sandwiched between the top rail and the roof.

little off topic, but I've got a buddy with a 2002 LC looking for end caps that I will buy if anyone has some laying around. Dealers can no longer get them.

Will this work ok to seal the bolt threads? I'm also using an o ring. Will I be able to take these out in the future if I want?

IMG_3969.JPG

I was inspired by this thread (and because my new Rhino rack just arrived!!) this weekend and took my rack off. I have a 2004 LC with three pillars and the rack mounted to the roof with 12mm bolts. Besides getting the plastic covers off – where I consequently broke most of the tabs off – the job was a piece of cake.

I don't need the rack or crossbars anymore and do not plan on keeping them around. Anyone want the kit? Just a heads up: two of the screws that secure the pillar to the parallel load bar are stripped. The other six heads were snapped off by my drill. The screws rusted themselves in and need to be drilled out. The crossbars are a-ok. Send me a PM if you want it all. FREE.

View attachment 1310105 View attachment 1310106
I know this is a long shot but any chance you still have those cross bars?

I removed the factory rack on my '06 this weekend, but found that there is a section of bare metal roof rail about 4 inches long and about 2-3 inches in front of where the front mount is for the factory rack.

In posts #59 and #60 of this thread, there is a reference/bad link to an old thread about solutions for filling the channel, and I was wondering if anyone remembers what solutions were suggested/recommended. I've already got replacement, low-profile screws and the factory plastic covers for the holes/areas that are vacated by the bolts that hold the factory roof rack in place.

It's just annoying that the rubber trim doesn't cover the whole channel of the gutter. I'm not even sure if it would matter in regards to water penetration. The idea I've been toying around with is to sandwich a small piece of rubber gasket from an automotive store trimmed to fit the space.

Any recommendations welcomed.

Thanks,
Jon

I removed the factory rack on my '06 this weekend, but found that there is a section of bare metal roof rail about 4 inches long and about 2-3 inches in front of where the front mount is for the factory rack.

In posts #59 and #60 of this thread, there is a reference/bad link to an old thread about solutions for filling the channel, and I was wondering if anyone remembers what solutions were suggested/recommended. I've already got replacement, low-profile screws and the factory plastic covers for the holes/areas that are vacated by the bolts that hold the factory roof rack in place.

It's just annoying that the rubber trim doesn't cover the whole channel of the gutter. I'm not even sure if it would matter in regards to water penetration. The idea I've been toying around with is to sandwich a small piece of rubber gasket from an automotive store trimmed to fit the space.

Any recommendations welcomed.

Thanks,
Jon
Any chance I could take those cross bars from you?

@pbreisch - Thanks for the link. I don't think I'm missing those parts, but your link did get me some part numbers that I think will work.

75505-60020 Drip Molding, right for Sunroof w/o luggage rack and
75506-60020 Drip Molding, left for Sunroof w/o luggage rack

These two parts, when I look at the schematics seem to run the full length of the drip rail. Now the only problem is whether I want to spend the $150 for the parts or just put that towards a Gamiviti.

Thanks,
Jon

@pbreisch - Thanks for the link. I don't think I'm missing those parts, but your link did get me some part numbers that I think will work.

These two parts, when I look at the schematics seem to run the full length of the drip rail. Now the only problem is whether I want to spend the $150 for the parts or just put that towards a Gamiviti.

Thanks,
Jon
Just leave them off. Unless you are in the habit of taking drone photos of your 100 from above, you'll never notice they aren't there. They serve no purpose at all other than a purely cosmetic one.

Thanks,
Jon

Post up photos of the roof and we'll be able to give you better idea of what you need.

Man if I would have known these drip rails were so important I would have kept mine when I added my roof rack. I may still have the drip rails laying around and I still do have my stock rack taking up space in my garage....
Not sure if you are serious but I can take them cross bars off your hands

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom