Blizzard White LX470 Slow Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just picked up the nicest truck I have ever owned... A 2004 LX470 with 103k miles, one owner, bought and fully serviced at the same Lexus dealer here in St. Louis. Not one maintenance item was ever skipped on this truck! Accident free (just a scuff on the drivers rear bumper). It is spotless, nearly 100% rust free (just the slightest surface stains here and there). Just gave it its first bath, and based on the finish quality, I think it lived in a garage, got driven to work and parked in a structure there. The interior is like new with only the slightest wear on the leather.

8F72037A-9F21-4531-837D-A5F311B3F82B.jpeg

That’s my wife’s Instagram post... I should mention that she loves how it rides (compared to my 4Runner with the 2.5” Tundra TRD / OME lift). And if she’s happy, we’re all happy!

My plan is a slow build with the intended goal of comfort on the highway and moderate off-road driving (I did part of the TAT last summer with my stepson in my 4Runner and plan to pick up where we left off this summer). I hope for the explorations to expand as time allows in the years to come. It also will see duty as a daily driver.

4BB2B1FD-D280-4F9C-86C1-F0905EB65CB1.jpeg

A few quick fixes are needed to get it sorted before I make any changes to it-
-The Nav is outdated (I probably won’t use it much except around town and on highways, I use Gaia and an iPad with a Dual GPS for “remote” travel), but for $10, why not?
-The leather is in great shape but dirty so I ordered the Lexol kit off EBay for $16 to get it up to shape.
-The hood struts are shot, so I’ll get those on order soon.
-The rear sub is blown (the sales guy was told $2k to fix... really??!!). I opened the panel up and I’ll pull the speaker to have it rebuilt locally for $30.
9CC11992-0D71-43AD-AE05-10541AB527C4.jpeg

The tires are straight stock M&S, so I plan to look around for a deal on some decent all-terrains a bit larger than stock. Hope to get lucky on Craigslist there, then sell the stock ones to recoup some cost.
-HATE the gold package Trim! I’ll try to plastidip the emblems black, and if I like it, may do all the chrome in black to make it black & white. If I don’t like it I might just debadge or rebadge as a Land Cruiser (maybe even Cygnus, lol!)
-KISS drawers. I’ve made my own before, but the decent price point and apparent quality of that product makes it seem like a no-brainer!
-Oh yeah, pull the running boards and add front mud-flaps and adding LED lighting underneath to replace the running board lighting (just white, no funky colors).
-Maybe a raised air intake.
-Raised differential breathers.
-A hidden winch as I want to keep the truck light and close to GVWR.
-The Front Runner gravity fuel tank if they’ll sell me one in the US? Has anyone installed one of those?
-I’d love to add one of the stock (Amazon model?) tire carriers, but they seem to be a major undertaking that is more than I feel like tackling.
-Attic Storage shelf.
-Anderson Plugs front & rear.
-James Baroud RTT?
-Witts End Console products.
-IPad / cell phone mounts.
-Auxilliary electric fan kit.

Well that’s about it for the brainstorm so far. I’d like to keep it reasonably light, don’t have a lot of need (that I see) for the steel bumpers & carriers, although they are way cool. Mostly I’ll just drive the wheels off it, enjoy they hell out of it, and get it off pavement as often as possible!

Just to stir the pot a little- I also have the aforementioned T4R mentioned above. Night and day. Simply no comparison IMHO. My stepson is getting that for his first car! Score! I also once owned a 2004 LR Discovery which I loved but found too stressful to own!

Oh, and I did find this tonight while exploring the compartments in the back, pretty darn cool! I know, I’m a car nerd.

F787ABC4-5A90-4646-9E47-A399A82408B6.jpeg

Feel free to chime in with any thoughts, advice or whatever!

Cheers all!

Welcome!

See this Definitive list of AHC maintenance items for everything AHC related for the stock suspension. Recommend you pick a device to run Techstream to troubleshoot and can be used on the 4R as well. (have some time on your hands to read this thread, its long!)

Highly recommend getting rid of the stock running boards ASAP! I went with the Slee Stepsliders because I have three small kids and the sliders come in handy everyday at school ;).

I'm starting to research a larger gas tank as well. Interested to see if you pursue that FR tank and how it works out.

Thanks for the welcome, I’ll absolutely check out the AHC thread! Yeah, running boards are high on the list without a doubt.

I’ve just started reading about techstream. It seems there isn’t any “plug n play” self contained unit that is sold like the y have for LR’s. I’m a Mac guy, but I guess I could buy a cheap netbook to run it, but many of the abundant threads make it sound like it’s a bit tricky to run, no? Although, effective maintenance of the AHC may mandate it.

Not sure how soon I’ll be able to swing the tank idea, if at all, but if I do, I’ll definetly post up.

@ChuckB i just noticed you’re in Cadiz, Spain, very cool. By daughter earned one of her degrees in Spanish and spent a semester in Granada. She loved it!

Spain is AWESOME!

I'm a Mac person and not an IT expert by any means. I have been able to getting it running on 3 different machines (MacBook, Asus netbook, and a HP Stream tablet). Stick with the 32-bit version, it seems to be easier to work with for non-IT people like me!!

This just popped up, I haven't tried it, but you might want to give it a try if you don't want to buy a new machine. How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes

I'm in the process of replacing my rear AHC springs with new OEM springs and Slee 30mm spacers. Techstream is invaluable in making this happen when not at a dealer shop.

Did a few things yesterday- Used the Lexol leather care on the seats, which honestly, were in real good shape anyway.

image5.jpeg

The below shot is a half cleaned seat. Not a huge difference, but cleaner anyway.

image4.jpeg

Installed a small rescue tool / seat belt cutter / window punch. Its mounted straight, just looks crooked because its curved. I'll probably mount a small flashlight above.

image3.jpeg

Most importantly- Pulled the running boards (and the wife says it looks "bad-ass!).. I tend to agree!

Front mud-flaps on order...

image2.jpeg

The AHC is set on low here. I need some tires; hoping to find some Craigslist deals.

image1.jpeg

Thats all for today. Got lots of small stuff on order, so more to come. Spent a lot of time under it yesterday, amazed how clean and rust-free it is underneath.

So while I was up under it working on getting the running boards off, I saw this. Looks like a weight, and there’s one on each side mounted to the frame rail. Are they necessary? Do they perform a function? Or are they in the category of muffler bearings and flux capacitors? Has anyone taken them off?

60E3466B-F476-442E-9508-F1A068B324B5.jpeg

Got the subwoofer back from the local shop and reinstalled it today. Sounds great! Now I have to help my youngest get the (slightly larger) subwoofer installed in his 4Runner.

So while I was up under it working on getting the running boards off, I saw this. Looks like a weight, and there’s one on each side mounted to the frame rail. Are they necessary? Do they perform a function? Or are they in the category of muffler bearings and flux capacitors? Has anyone taken
Completely useless. Pull em.... also nice purchase. Have the same year and color. Mark Levinson?? If so the amp is notorious in taking a crap on ya. Have to send it out to United radio in New York to get refurbished and works better than new if/when it happens. Looks like you got a good start on your purchasing. Have fun!

Thanks for the advice on the frame weights, can’t imagine what they were put on there for.. Yes, ML stereo which I finally cranked with the rebuilt sub reinstalled driving home this eve. By far the best sounding car stereo I’ve ever had. Absolutely amazing sound (I’ve never had any cars known for their stereos, so I’m easy to impress). And thanks also for the heads up on the amp, I’ll keep them in mind if / when it dies. Trying to figure out a Bluetooth and satellite radio add-on also.

Well, I would say the frame weights are only useless if you are running MT/agressive AT tires, headers/exhaust or a thumping stereo system which would mask the sound. Toyota has a pretty good grip on cost cutting unnecessary parts. It's not cheap either at $250.

On that note: if anybody wants to buy an extra frame weight, I have one for sale cheap! lol.

I had to send my amp to United Radio and the customer service was excellent and works perfectly again! Highly recommended.

Managed to eke out a little time last night to attack the “Gold Package” emblems on the back with the Plastidip stuff. Super-easy to work with and I’m very happy with the results.

95D32D04-41A1-49CB-9AC0-BBAEED896C49.jpeg

E9E274ED-BE89-4183-BD31-140045591D00.jpeg

Looks so much better with black emblems! Now onto the wheel hubs and front grill “L”.

On an unrelated note, now that I had the subwoofer rebuilt, I can tell the passenger door mid is blown...:bang:

De-bling continues. So far all of the gold badging on the rear, the small “L” on the hubcaps and the grill are all done. I just remembered the little gold cap around the base of the antenna. I think that I might continue with doing the rest of the chrome on the rear too. Completely changes the look I think. It was probably every bit of 6 coats to cover it well. It seems to not cover as well as regular paint.

DBD738FB-7C19-48A4-B6BA-F55E59FE98F9.jpeg
E4477A3C-497A-4197-AA89-B5DD6628747D.jpeg

Threw these on that I picked up on Amazon. They work well so far.

62BFEFE2-1599-4C7E-9307-04A69E358125.jpeg

These seemed like a steal at $60 from Trail Tailor, so grabbed them and bolted them up the other day. Super heavy duty

AC8C9971-25FC-4CF0-8786-7AEFA74A1EE2.jpeg

Got some toys in the mail from Mr. T. Been on backorder for a month... For where the running boards aren’t.

FFE4E887-5B3D-4723-8DC8-97EC6F21A7A8.jpeg

Looks good! I too have a new 04 LX. I look forward to following your thread. So far all I have done is maintenance, but the mods are coming soon!

I am in the market to buy something like this truck. Care to share how much you paid for it? This will give me some idea as yours is in an outstanding condition and this is precisely the kind i would like to purchase? Feel free to direct message if you don't feel comfortable sharing this on this forum.

I am in the market to buy something like this truck. Care to share how much you paid for it? This will give me some idea as yours is in an outstanding condition and this is precisely the kind i would like to purchase?

Don’t mind at all. $16.5k. Darn near like new, single owner, all dealer service recomendations exceeded, serviced at original dealer, garaged, and I bought it at the original dealer as well. I may have been able to track one down somewhere for less, but would have had to arrange for a ore-purchase inspection, shipping, or flying to drive it back, and the uncertainty that (for me) comes with buying a car from a great distance. I am very happy finding this (rare in St Louis) car in this condition at this price.

Looks good! I too have a new 04 LX. I look forward to following your thread. So far all I have done is maintenance, but the mods are coming soon!

Very cool! You’ll probably jump ahead of me though as I work 56+ at my normal job plus teach some and started doing a little handyman work too! (Mostly to pay for Cruiser s***!!) :clap:

Make sure to post up a build thread! I learn a ton reading about others work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom