Lets See Your Solar Setups For Camping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.yotatech.com
I have gone with a few 100 watt solar panels, and I just upgraded yesterday.
I have upgraded again, I took possession of the Overland Solar 120 watt folding one yesterday.
Owner Brian drove to my home and hand delivered it too, as he was on this side of the mountains, very cool.
He dropped by yesterday around 4 PM, and I tore into it to check it out, and read the paper work on it.

I have been using the Renogy 100 watt Suitcase one for a few years, but this one is a lot more efficient, and higher wattage output.
With the Renogy there are lines on the glass, there are no lines on the SunPower crystals of the Overland Solar setup, thus letting in more sunlight.
The case and panel itself are smaller than the Renogy, so my FJ will be happier not feeling so bloated inside when loaded up for a trip.

This comes stock with the red colored Anderson plugs, but my cable that goes from the 2nd battery in my dual battery setup has the gray Anderson SB50 plugs on it, so Brian swapped out the red ones Friday night before dropping it off to me on Saturday.
I had also bought a 30' extension from him earlier in the year, and he also had swapped it over to the gray ones.
It also comes with a short cable with Anderson plugs and alligator clips if your rig is not setup like mine with the hard wired cable (he carries these too) from the battery to my ARB bumper in which to plug in the solar panel.

I have heard nothing but great things about Brian's company, and the reviews over on his site are from some very happy customers.
My Renogy is pretty much sold already to a member/moderator over on my forum YotaTech, he should get many years out of it.
I am using a solar panel primarily to keep the Optima Yellowtop topped off as it runs the National Luna Weekender 50 Twin Fridge/Freezer.

Links:

Overland Solar

120 watt model

Pics:

1.jpg

2.jpg

The new one takes up less space, very nice

3.jpg

Being a tri-fold it sits lower, but is hardly any longer than the Renogy, nice
And yes, that is the Dr Who Christmas special I am watching this morning that recorded on Christmas.

I had ran some tests with the Renogy back in April, and on my dual battery setup it had the 2nd battery up to 13.4v in no time.
Very anxious to test out the new Overland Solar one since it is suppose to gather in more light and output more power.

10.jpg

2.jpg

Here was the Renogy one in action from this past August, I had great sun exposure mostly all day long

G'Day Fella's,

Here is an image, of a quick wet weather set-up, for an overnight camp.
Wet camp, quick set up. (3).JPG

I have both an 80 and 120 watt folding portable solar panels, that I connect (only one at a time) to my auxiliary battery, with a 50 Amp Anderson connector (on the A/battery).
I prefer this set up, as I can move the S/panel around during the day, chasing the sun thru it's cycle.
Even with the 80 Watt S/panel (in the image), this works a treat/keeps the battery fully charged, and the fridge/freezer running/Beer cold, even in Summer.

Hope that helps

Happy New Year!
Homer

Last edited:
I use a folding panel in oz. Packs quickly into its supplied bag and similarly quick to deploy. I like the portable nature of this setup since I can park the vehicle in shade and just move the panel around as needed to catch the sun.

metzke2.jpg

I have a second 'extension' cable that's about 25' that I can add to the approximate 15' of stock cable if needed. SB50 connectors make that easy.

ive.jpg

SB50 connectors are on both the main and aux battery (additionally I can 'join' the two batteries if needed via a marine switch), though normally I just charge the aux battery since all 'camp' loads are connected to it. This includes the fridge, ham gear, camp lights, power outlets, internal lights, air compressor etc.

And yes, I often pop the hood when camped out bush - no excuse to not check fluid levels, belts and generally verify everything is ship shape :)

cheers,
george.

I am about to do the dual battery on my 80 using your write up, then I gotta wire in my 100watt renogy panel and mppt controller.

I'm using the Zamp 120 watt portable setup. I like George's remark of parking in the shade and being able to set panel in the sun. For that reason, I got a 25 ft extention for it. In direct sunlight, the voltage indicator on my National Luna fridge/freezer reads like my engine is running - maxed out. I can live with that. I also like Phil & titanpat57's perm mounted panel setup for convenience. Zamp is "local" for me....well just a short 3 hr drive...lol...Bend, OR. I have a dual battery setup with isolator and a Zamp 2k watt inverter.

Somebody tells me why those folding portable setups are so much more expensive than the equivalent without a couple of hinges and brackets?

Good question e9999.
The Zamp brand I assume is made in the USA, and may be good but that is a lot of money.

Doh!
Homer

Somebody tells me why those folding portable setups are so much more expensive than the equivalent without a couple of hinges and brackets?

US ripoff factor. They are extremely cheap in oz - esp when you consider they are in oz dollars too. I guess folk in oz just buy a LOT more of them for camping than would be the case in the US...

One of MANY examples on oz ebay.

Mono 120W Folding Solar Panel Kit Caravan Camping Power 12V Charging Battery | eBay

cheers,
george.

Yes George, I believe I paid $250.00 (AU$) for my 120Watt portable panel.
It is made in China but with Bosch solar cells and not sure the brand of the controller etc.

D'oh!
Homer

After the new tariff, you're going be paying more if you want solar made outside the USA.

US ripoff factor. They are extremely cheap in oz - esp when you consider they are in oz dollars too. I guess folk in oz just buy a LOT more of them for camping than would be the case in the US...

One of MANY examples on oz ebay.

Mono 120W Folding Solar Panel Kit Caravan Camping Power 12V Charging Battery | eBay

cheers,
george.
I don't see that kinda attitude about winches. Oh they'll pay 3 or 4 times what the Chinese made winches cost and not skip a beat because - "they're made better". But....I guess that doesn't apply to solar panels....

^ There is a significant price discrepancy between a fixed panel (relatively cheap even in he US) versus a 'folding camping panel' for the same wattage. There is clearly a premium being charged for the 'camping' market that is presumably driven by it being a relative niche. That is my point about the ripoff factor. i.e. a folding panel CAN be a lot cheaper than we are seeing - but the 'specialty' suppliers are charging us for that pleasure.

*IF* a US 'assembled' folding panel that costs 3-4x an import provides me 3-4x better performance, then yeah, no worries, I'd buy that.

My Pixel phone - nice phone (wonder where it is made?), or iphone if you are so inclined (where is it made?)

Generator, we all seem to like Honda units - wonder where they are made?

Land Cruiser, great vehicle, where was it made?

Winch, yeah, that is something that the quality of the steel, gears, motor, etc can vary significantly. For that I WILL and have bought WARN (the US made ones).

I make my purchases based on value/reliability for $ spent. I just bought some US made taps/dies since I wanted a durable product and trust the quality of the steel will be better than some harbor freight/home depot/lowes 'import'.

The solar panel tariff - well that is brain damaged on way too many levels... Let's take it to the extreme - imagine if we could get offshore panels for $0, would that hurt the US economy? i.e. would free energy be bad for the US? Though I assume the oilmen wouldn't be too happy :)

cheers,
george.

One thing that you're not mentioning, George, about the USA made portable kits is that they usually include the controller and cables to connect to a rig's electrical system. All I can speak for is my Zamp. The controller is easy to use and is quite flexible. Senses when connected to a system. You choose what type of battery it will be charging, necessaary because wet cell, gel cell and AGM are charged differently. Also comes with a carrying case that protects it during transport or when stored and not used. So when you figure all that in, maybe not such a big difference in price.

I have a "Humless" 130w folding panel for a reasonable price, currently listed at $265 USD. Ordered it last summer, might have been a bit cheaper, can't recall exactly. I did get nailed another $90 for duty about a month later (had it delivered to BC from the US)

Folding Solar Panels | Plug And Play Solar Panel Kits

Haven't used it yet, but it is a very nice and sturdy panel.

Awesome new MPPT controller with bluetooth control for $99

Last edited:
E6D36513-EF6E-48EC-A6BC-BC6DA8C7C8B1.jpeg
180w folding panel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom