A/c compressor failure/no heat or air conditioning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I’m new to this forum and I wanted to thank everyone in advance for their help. I have a 2001 land cruiser that I am having issues with the a/c and heater. I have a horrible grinding noise coming from the-clutch in belt assembly that is loud too. Any advise would be great!

Thanks for the response, the sound is like bearings grinding by the belt close to the compressor. The heater and a/c controls are not working at all. I have no air at all.

Did you ever find an answer to this? Mine just did the same thing - I have cool air and warm heat, but definitely not cold/hot. Then one day riding down the highway, the A/C light starts blinking, and the compressor made a grinding sound. When I popped the hood to look at it, it was shooting sparks. '03 LX FWIW.

From where did you see the sparks?

May be you have a frozen compressor bearing at the clutch mechanism. Just replace the bearing and it is simple if you are ready to do it. No need to remove the gas or recharge.
If you are buying the bearing it is only available online and STAY with JAPANESE bearings like NSK / NACHI/ KOYO. I used a Chinese bearing and it lasted 6000 miles!
See form 3:51 on this video (No need to remove the compressor off the engine)

From where did you see the sparks?

May be you have a frozen compressor bearing at the clutch mechanism. Just replace the bearing and it is simple if you are ready to do it. No need to remove the gas or recharge.
If you are buying the bearing it is only available online and STAY with JAPANESE bearings like NSK / NACHI/ KOYO. I used a Chinese bearing and it lasted 6000 miles!
See form 3:51 on this video (No need to remove the compressor off the engine)

The sparks seemed to be from the backside of the clutch, so I hope you’re right! That would be way easier (and cheaper) than replacing the entire compressor.

I just had the compressor replaced and it stopped making the grinding noise. I have heat but now I’ve got another issue because my ac refrigerant levels keep lowering. Maybe have a leak somewhere?

It's not unusual for leaks to develop in the rear unit. the lines are aluminum and corrode. It's a common remedy to pinch off and weld the rear AC tubes closed and only use the front due to the cost of replacing the lines. Try searching - there's a lot of info.

I just had the compressor replaced and it stopped making the grinding noise. I have heat but now I’ve got another issue because my ac refrigerant levels keep lowering. Maybe have a leak somewhere?

^^^^^^^^^ Not "maybe". You have a leak. ;)

Refrigerants are non-consumables (they are not used up in operation, as with engine oil...etc.)

The ONLY way you will have low refrigerant levels (after a proper charge) is through leakage.

Small leaks are of no concern and not worth chasing down. Just recharge when needed. But IF you are losing refrigerant at a greater pace (needs to be recharged more than once every couple of years) then you'll want to find the source(s) and correct.

If you like the rear AC, try to locate the hoses from a salvage yard. Due to the interior size and on the place you live, the rear cooler heps cooling the truck in no time. I saw a thread about fixing the leak by using the adapter. Good and you'll find the adapter. this is an easy fix so try that instead of closing it down.

One of the most common leaks in the rear line is located right below the passenger floor. The water/rocks all hits the ac line right there causing it to corrode faster. I installed long front mud flaps so the lines are safe now.

Dealer told me today it was a faulty compressor. The new one that was just replaced is faulty. I will have the compressor replaced again and hope it solves the problem. Thanks guys

Did you buy a brand new DENSO compressor? Or at least a low mile used DENSO compressor?

Make sure the technician add the compressor oil.

Any new but aftermarket or remanufactured compressors does not work, or at least cannot be trusted.
You can test the compression of a compressor just with your finger tips. Close the high side and just turn the compressor clutch about 15-20 degrees and you should feel an enormous pressure at your finger.

All my car still have factory compressors even at 270K miles. Most of the time the compressor goes bad if one turns on the AC right away when the interior is extremely hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom