87 FJ60 - "Willie" "The Beast" Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you decide on a 2FE, I've got a complete 3FE cylinder head here in northern New Mexico. I was going to run it down to Brian at Empire Engines in Albuquerque to check it for cracks, etc. PM me if you'd be interested. I also have a spare throttle body with throttle position sensor.

2fe? It’s still feasible but research some threads here. Parts are apparently getting hard to find.
I’d just go with a throttle body kit like AFI

I'd suggest a headlight upgrade with wiring harness then look to your interior. New carpet, seat foam, and seat covers will transform how you interact with your ride. If you haven't already gone through your steering, brake, and tune up components, definitely start there.

An H55F is a fantastic upgrade but not one that you'll see a dollar for dollar return on if you have to sell. Saving some of that money for future, unexpected repairs would be smart, though not instantly gratifying. Steadily improving your Cruiser over time and doing the work yourself when you can will result in a well planned outcome, avoiding expensive rework.

Good luck.

Here's a good pic of the rig, by the way. It has slight cockroach to it, but the suspension has settled nicely.
20170714_184643.jpg

That's a very nice 'Cruiser! I'd have to say TBI would be my choice, then save the rest towards that 5-speed.

I've thought about aftermarket EFI, looked into Howell's kit - https://howellefi.com/product/toyota-landcruiser-tbi-kit/
Typically I'm a "keep it Toyota" guy, so the "2FE" solution sounds cool. Probably too much for me to bit off and my head was rebuilt just a few years ago.
Nice call on the tail light and signal lenses. Only one of them is really nice. I don't wheel it enough to get sliders.
I have a leaky power steering pump as well that'll need tending, and my window regulators are stiff as hell (hoping a good removal and cleaning will fix those.

Jim C already responded. He's out of office until next Wednesday, but we're going to connect and see if we can make that work.
Solid Axle romp in Ouray sounds like a helluva good guys weekend. May try to sneak over the passes for that.
1. headlight upgrade
2. turn signal and tail light lenses
3. Interior (up to $1000 - seats, soundproofing, window regulators, cargo and tailgate carpeting, etc.)
4. carb rebuild hopefully (not quite sold on EFI just yet.)
5. rebuilt power steering pump
6. steering refurb (tie rod ends, bushings, etc..)

Then take a deep breath and see where I'm at. All subject to change of course. I'll be sure and keep everybody posted.

Rebuilds on FJ60 PS pumps usually don't last due to the fact the shaft rides on a bushing, not a bearing. No way (currently) to replace the bushing. But there's hope just around the corner:

Unobtainium

I was a Toyota purist once. Then i needed to replace my mega tired 22R. Swapped in a series 2 3800 from a grand prix and been bit by larger engines ever since.

After having a 3.8 V6, a Mitsubishi diesel, and finally an LS 4.8 in my 3 Toyotas, I've decided I am no longer fond of Toyota's engines.

Reliable? No question about it. To me, that just means you have to keep the turd that much longer!

Hurt feelings?? I'm not sorry!!

My wife wants me to PAINT IT!! It already has 30 year old paint on it in most places.... WTH??

Last edited:
I would not paint it at all. Looks real clean and nice as it is. Plus the aging paint IMO makes them look more classic and used. I know he's pretty backed up but you should also check out wagongear.com for options. Personally I would love to do the tailgate compartment. Not too pricy and pretty neat. But I do like the list you started. Seems pretty solid and legit. Have fun with it!!

These 60s always need something. There will always be something to fix, there will always be a liquid to change, there will always be “one more thing” to do.

I say f*%k it. Get the 5 speed. You’ll always want it & may never get it. Do the other stuff as it comes. And it will always come...

Boss hog is like the little devil on my shoulder, except this time he's holding a five speed. I listen to the devil on my shoulder quite often

Boss hog is like the little devil on my shoulder, except this time he's holding a five speed. I listen to the devil on my shoulder quite often

Trust your feelings Rusto...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom