"Custom" backspacing question...I know, I know, hear me out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
(...hmm, now where did i put that beating-the-dead-horse emoji??)

So just got word the "custom" backspace wheels in 16x8 I ordered from US Wheel can no longer be made with the perfect, sweet spot 3.5" backspacing that is ideal to our wagons. ( they used to make them in 3.5 but apparently changed the rim which prevents a 3.5).
They can be made in ranges of standard 4"-5.5" backspace, or in 1.5"-3.0" reversed. That 3.5 in between is not available.

So, based on a 16 x 8 wheel with a 285/75/16 (33" equiv...I currently run 33/10.5/15) which backspace do you think would be better: 4" or 3" ??
The 4 inch is deeper and pulls the tire inward, 3 inch will push the tire outward...but too far in, or too far out?..that is the question.

Just not sure which way to lean on the backspacing. Thoughts??

Side note: These wheels are a confirmed fit over the caliper and no problem with the tie rods. And I am not using spacers.
...and the other 16" wheels I ordered that fit perfectly have been on a perpetual marthafawking 7 month backorder!! Thats why I went the US wheel steely route. Beyond frustrating to say the least.

:deadhorse: :bang::poop::flush:

Same wheels, different tire now. Profile pic was same size BF AT's and the new tires are Yokohama GEO's

IMG_2151.JPG

IMG_2152.JPG

Very helpful pics actually, thanks. From that I can imagine where a 1/2" less backspace and a wider tire 285 vs 265 might sit.

Not sure about that 3" BS, might be too much on the outside.

The 3.65" stock BS on the original chrome wheel was designed for 8-3/4" wide tires (225/75R15).

A 3" BS on a 285 tire is going the wrong way. I'd get 4" BS if you're hemming & hawing over 3 vs 4.

Yep, hemming n hawing because I can't get exactly what I want. The devil is in the details...esp when ordering non returnable wheels.

But yea, leaning towards the 4".

The 3.65" stock BS on the original chrome wheel was designed for 8-3/4" wide tires (225/75R15).

A 3" BS on a 285 tire is going the wrong way. I'd get 4" BS if you're hemming & hawing over 3 vs 4.

Stock BS is 3 3/8".

Update: So was able to speak with "The guy" at US Wheel, very helpful and nice dude. As mentioned in OP, he confirmed that about a year ago US Wheel changed their manufacturing/wheel blanks slightly which prevents them from creating the magical 3.5" backspace. He said this has been an issue for a few other orders they received. Was not an issue previously, in fact I have one of their 'old' wheels new in box with 3.5" bs I ordered for a test fit...and fit was perfect I just decided to go a different route at the time....and now we're baaaaack...again.

Long story short....he was able to find a handful of the older wheel blanks and is making up a batch of 16x8/3.5" BS for me, should ship early next week. We shall see.

I think the 4" backspace would work fine, or even the 3" if you want a wider stance, but as tires get bigger, etc it becomes a battle of inches or millimeters for what works.

Note: I post this because my quest for 16" wheels has been a several year process (mostly waiting for my current tires to wear out mixed with some trial and error time and liking and disliking wheels and indecision and steelies vs alloys and backorders and a sprinkling of procrastination :hillbilly:). Pretty sure I've read EVERY post regarding wheel sizing for a 60 series...ad nauseum. We've all seen the 'wheels that work' thread(s).
Bottom line, there's VERY FEW 16" wheels off the shelf that fit our rigs without spacers. Hell, I don't like the fact that these are 'customs'....what if I need to replace one??
When going larger than 15" dia. the backspace becomes less of an issue as the wheel fits around tie rods, the tough part is fitting the inner hub of the wheel around the front brake caliper. Most don't bowl outward enough to clear the brakes. For me grinding metal off the brakes or grinding metal off the wheels or spacers are not acceptable solutions (cue the spacer argument here).
What I tried that works:
- these US Wheel steelies (very basic old school wagon wheel...with minor backspace question)
- the ProComp 87 steelies (fit great, but very heavy, may go back to this if all else fails)
- Eagle Alloy 100 (well known option....the ones I ordered are currently on 7 MONTH backorder! yea, WTF?)
Yes, there's a few other options - the Vintiques, Stockton, overseas OEM steelies, but again factoring in cost, likes/dislikes, styles, available widths, etc...it narrows down real quick.

So for now, after all that, I'm rolling with these. Will update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom