Builds Work In Progress aka: Badass (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah pretty sure I’d emailed you thru mud or fb or tagged you. It’s all okay tho. Looked like the trip went well. I saw that you’d hung up in TX for a night and I tagged a few of my friends for you.
Good info on the rims. They’re just too damn big tho. I really want to put my stock on w/ 31.

I'd second going to 31x10.5, you will really enjoy it. Though I've not run 35s on my 60 I can tell you the drivability and handling will be welcomed with the smaller tires. I actually have 30x9.5 on my 85 with OME springs (3.73 gears). Its a great driver.

Thanks. Yeah except for the visual wow downer factor I’m really up for the change.
The truck came to me set up this way and I dig it cuz it’s so intense. It’s fun to have to haul myself up and in and watch my kid monkey crawl into the backseat (god forbid I help him, he’s 4.5) but the gears were most likely never switched up so it’ll take the 31’s easily.
But what @Juggernaught is saying about the shackles.... he’s suggesting I swap out for stock length?
@HemiAlex mentioned once having stock shackles avail, right? Forgive me for not fully understanding this aspect of the truck. My primary focus thus far has been the engine.
And what about my shocks which I added per the height of the lift and the tires? Will I have to downsize them? I hadn’t even thought of that when I decided to pick up smaller tires.

about my shocks which I added per the height of the lift and the tires? Will I have to downsize them?

If you only change the tires the shocks will be fine.

If you end up changing your shackles for stock ones you might have check that your not bottoming your shockes out when the tire is stuffed up into the fender.

The reason longer shackles can cause issues is they basically tip the front of the axle down the axle Is meant to sit somewhat back from level. Doing that affects the castor Which can cause the steering to wander. And also could cause the drive shaft to vibrate. You can correct bad castor with shims.

Longer shackles don’t hold the axle in line under the truck as well when cornering. The additional length of the longer shackles with the flex in the bushings allow the axle more side to side slop when you throw the weight into a corner. Causing a sloppy/wobble feeling in a corner.

Also any shackles with the wrong springs could have a bad shackle angle causing a excessively rough ride.

Longer shackles and high lift springs could cause issues as well. spring eyes are supposed to sit somewhat level with each other. This would affect the way the spring acts when either you hit a bump or pothole.

Unless your truck isent driving well I wouldn’t worry about your shackles.

If you only change the tires the shocks will be fine.

If you end up changing your shackles for stock ones you might have check that your not bottoming your shockes out when the tire is stuffed up into the fender.

The reason longer shackles can cause issues is they basically tip the front of the axle down the axle Is meant to sit somewhat back from level. Doing that affects the castor Which can cause the steering to wander. And also could cause the drive shaft to vibrate. You can correct bad castor with shims.

Longer shackles don’t hold the axle in line under the truck as well when cornering. The additional length of the longer shackles with the flex in the bushings allow the axle more side to side slop when you throw the weight into a corner. Causing a sloppy/wobble feeling in a corner.

Also any shackles with the wrong springs could have a bad shackle angle causing a excessively rough ride.

Longer shackles and high lift springs could cause issues as well. spring eyes are supposed to sit somewhat level with each other. This would affect the way the spring acts when either you hit a bump or pothole.

Unless your truck isent driving well I wouldn’t worry about your shackles.
Thats a great explanation for a book learner.... I’m a visual learner. I need pictures to understand all that or it just comes across as mumbo jumbo. Chuckling. I can barely envision that. ;)

I feel the exact same way... hands on the only way to really learn. :wrench:

Course I have broke more than my share of things learning...

My friend laughed at me the other day cuz I was gonna put an old sock filter on my Nissans new fuel pump. I said call me a jackass if that’s a bad idea. He texts back, jackass. Later after I’d put a new filter on, I said, but that’s how I gain experience... doing things multiple times!

My spring eyes sit cockeyed off my shackles. Could be some force could put them right or it time to swap for better parts. Idk. There’s a pix a few pages back. I really have no idea. Truck IS all over the place while I drive. Is it simply the truck and it’s handling, is it the roads in CT, or is it me? Again, idk, I have control but I probably might come across like a drunk driver!

If your steering wheel has as much slop as mine, then we're both drunk drivers!

I can only see the one rear shackle, but appears stock. When i swapped to OME springs recently i re used my 270k mile shackles and pins. I admit i need to replace them. Some were very thin. If you got rust, i bet they're thin too.

Is there any repair you won't do?? I go through your thread dumbfounded, "A girl is doing all this??"

Is it weird of me to feel some version of proud?

Thanks man. The flattery goes a long way!
My shackles aren’t stock. Fairly sure they’re an addition by a PO. I’ve got a good side to side upclose pages back. Possibly 2 or so. I “could” be mixing up terms... shackles to hangers.

He does but never rebuilt some of the stuff I have. He drives an 06 4Runner gen4 that he lifted, its super cooshy. He’s a helicopter mechanic so deals w/ way intense stuff. We’re new so who knows... He thinks my truck is neat but not his style. This weekend I’ll take him in a drive in it. Most likely it’ll surprise him w/ how loosy goosy it is!

Maybe go 33's? Still tall, retains the rubber overdrive and looks good in the wheel wells. The 10.5 widths fit on stock wheels too.
If you wanna keep the 35's, I suggest 4.56 gears and that is a bit pricey (and your brakes won't work well, bad handling, etc.). 31's are most reasonable choice but you won't be cruising at 70 mph anymore.

I don’t have a bunch of spare cash to simply go 33. I’ve got 31’s and that’s what I have to go to. I’m not cruising now at 70. Never have. I’m happy at 55 in both my old cars. I have nowhere I need to go to fast.

By the time you wear out the 31's you will know for sure what you will replace them with. I've been running BFG AT KO's for 20 years without any complaints.

I'd go through all the mounting points, see if anything moves, check tie rod play (and verify toe is in spec) verify you have a good steering dampener, check for p/s leaks, inspect intermediate shaft for play at u joint(s).

Last but not least, if play in wheel is greater than spec (1.47") and everything else checks out and play stops at steering gear input, do the adjustment again on your gearbox...which would be weird since you did just rebuild recently.

I have 1.5" over shackles and its pretty solid for a solid axle truck, I have the steering play adjustment at about .75" of play at wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom