Anybody running a Mean Green Alternator? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No experience with MG. But why not go with the 150 Amp Tundra upgrade? Can be rebuilt with off-the-shelf parts anywhere in the world and put's the juice out at low RPM's, which is where most need it.

Agree with above. That said, running a Mean Green Alternator and Starter in my 77 FJ-40...love both and no issues with either.

No experience with MG. But why not go with the 150 Amp Tundra upgrade? Can be rebuilt with off-the-shelf parts anywhere in the world and put's the juice out at low RPM's, which is where most need it.

Thanks I will look into that. I was just on the MG site the other night looking for a Chevy application and noticed they make them for the UZJ now, it wasn't offered last time I was on their site that I recall.

Cheers

Ran a Mean Green as part of a Dual Battery Set Up on an 80 Series.
The batteries would not last one year. Changed batteries twice and the same thing happened. About an 8 month life span.
Changed the alternator to an OEM one on the same set-up and batteries lasted 3+ years as they should.

Have several friends with mixed experiences regarding Mean Green on a 1FZ-FE Engine... Some had the same result as me, some had no problems. Maybe it was bad luck on my part? My experience with MG is from about 10 years ago, so their quality might have improved by now.

Running a sequoia 150A alt for a couple of months....so far so good.

I've had a Mean Green starter in my '98 since 2004. 150k and no issues.

There was a mean green installed on my 01 it lasted almost 2 years. Installed by PO. The diode was bad caused interference with stereo. The voltage regulator was bad because it wouldnt make any power at idle. I took the starter apart and it didn’t have the heat shield on it like OE. Also I could see some corrosion internally and some of the screws and bolts where either almost stripped or crossed threaded. I am in the south the corrosion wasn’t bad but not having that heat shield probably allowed it to get more exposurer to the elements.

Called mean green since PO told me it had lifetime warranty haven’t heard back in a weeks time.

The Mean Green alt I installed in my FJ-60 many moons ago was a PITA to mount (I had to get creative with fasteners) and put out 14.6 v IIRC. I would go OEM in whatever flavor.

Running a sequoia 150A alt for a couple of months....so far so good.

Is it plug n play? I've added a winch, lights, probably a fridge soon...looking for some more juice. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom