4bt vs 6bt cummins swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

everything I read a diesel swap is basically illegal, via Feds for sure, and most states, and if anyone with authority is checking it will be caught, so please explain how we can be doing diesel swaps? I'm not trolling, honestly trying to understand.

everything I read a diesel swap is basically illegal, via Feds for sure, and most states, and if anyone with authority is checking it will be caught, so please explain how we can be doing diesel swaps? I'm not trolling, honestly trying to understand.

Depends on where you live, if it's California it is very tough

@b16 - As I understand it, 1997 and before can convert to Diesel legally. There is a form that you send to the DMV and they check for the diesel, then you can register the vehicle as a diesel officially.
No s***? Well damn, this is good news! Why did I have such a difficult time back in 1999 when I swapped engines in a little 1996 honda. I had to go through BAR then. I guess with diesel these years there is no BAR? Would this be easier, smog wise, vs a GM v8 swap?

No s***? Well damn, this is good news! Why did I have such a difficult time back in 1999 when I swapped engines in a little 1996 honda. I had to go through BAR then. I guess with diesel these years there is no BAR? Would this be easier, smog wise, vs a GM v8 swap?

@b16 - Exactly, much easier smog wise (or lack of smog) with a Diesel since there is no BAR.

Reactions: b16
In Texas there is nothing on my title that says gas or diesel. Diesel is safety only for inspection and they don't care what your car originally came with. Just register your truck the same as you did before.
Technically I believe the engine has to be the same year or newer than the truck. That goes for any engine swap.

In Texas there is nothing on my title that says gas or diesel. Diesel is safety only for inspection and they don't care what your car originally came with. Just register your truck the same as you did before.
Technically I believe the engine has to be the same year or newer than the truck. That goes for any engine swap.

OK, just what I was told, have 97 80, at inspection station nice knowledgeable agent said; if its not 25 years old we will scan the VIN and it will come up gas and I have to look for all the normal anti pollute gear on the car and it will not pass because it is not there (if its a diesel)
after 25 years, it's a maybe, because he won't look for it.
then I googled and read for several hours info across the US and said what I said in prior post due to that reading

OK, just what I was told, have 97 80, at inspection station nice knowledgeable agent said; if its not 25 years old we will scan the VIN and it will come up gas and I have to look for all the normal anti pollute gear on the car and it will not pass because it is not there (if its a diesel)
then I googled and read for several hours info across the US and said what I said in prior post due to that reading

We don't need no stinking inspections :hillbilly:

What are you considering a "inspection station" and "agent"? I have gone to three different fixit type places and only talked to mechanic type guys. Maybe your county is different. They are still some counties in Texas that still don't sniff test gas vehicles but they now lock you down for inspection to the county that your registered in. No more driving to small town USA to get an inspection.

What are you considering a "inspection station" and "agent"? I have gone to three different fixit type places and only talked to mechanic type guys. Maybe your county is different. They are still some counties in Texas that still don't sniff test gas vehicles but they now lock you down for inspection to the county that your registered in. No more driving to small town USA to get an inspection.
To be simple and direct; I'm in Texas, in a county that requires emissions and safety (Parker), the inspection station is a state sanctioned place to get safety and emissions which if one passes is a certificate that gets given to the county tax assessor and the agent is the guy who does the inspection. In my case Car Country in Hudson Oaks.
To be repetitive, he scans the VIN, it comes up as an original gas motor (still in there, not swapped, though I would love to do a diesel swap) and he will check the motor to make sure it has the emissions parts in place. He said if it had a diesel, (if was swapped), he would look for the emissions parts (wouldn't be there) and he couldn't pass it. He said after it is 25 years old, he would no longer scan the VIN, just do the safety inspection, so maybe, but told me to check with DPS in TX.

To be simple and direct; I'm in Texas, in a county that requires emissions and safety (Parker), the inspection station is a state sanctioned place to get safety and emissions which if one passes is a certificate that gets given to the county tax assessor and the agent is the guy who does the inspection. In my case Car Country in Hudson Oaks.
To be repetitive, he scans the VIN, it comes up as an original gas motor (still in there, not swapped, though I would love to do a diesel swap) and he will check the motor to make sure it has the emissions parts in place. He said if it had a diesel, (if was swapped), he would look for the emissions parts (wouldn't be there) and he couldn't pass it. He said after it is 25 years old, he would no longer scan the VIN, just do the safety inspection, so maybe, but told me to check with DPS in TX.

Sounds right except 12v Cummins never had emissions junk on them from the factory so you "should" be in the clear. I have heard that as long as you stay compliant with the engine that is swapped in your good, but who really knows. Always a big grey area with all this stuff. You can also add in whether or not a diesel needs a muffler to pass but I have passed for years with two different diesels (including my 97 LC) with no muffler. If you ever swap I would just stay clear of that inspection station. Next time I go in for inspection I will ask to see the data that comes uπ when scanned.

When I first went for inspection I was scared about all these things as well and asked all the same questions. Never an issue.

I have a question on the 4bt, can I still use the stock air box/ filter? I have a snorkel and would still like for it to be functional...

I have a question on the 4bt, can I still use the stock air box/ filter? I have a snorkel and would still like for it to be functional...
I don't know about the 4BT but the 6BT needs lots of air that the snorkel can not supply. I have a opening on my Donaldson air cleaner to let in more air. I can seal it up if needed and run only snorkel but turbo lag is greater.
Safari makes a snorkel for diesels which is 4" rather than 3" but it isn't available for the 80 series. Only Hilux and 70 series from what I have found.

Jeep CRD out of Cherokee. I owned one and loved it.

That being said I have always had 6 cyl. Cummins. 6BT, ISB, ISC - they are all good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom