1FZ Head Porting and CNC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think that should be easy with a good build. That is basically what I am after. The stroker takes care of most of that. Problem is that it’s probably cheaper to do a swap or mild turbo.
Oh well, life is a compromise!
The pony is the best and cheapest! :)

Casting is so 80 s. A whole head can be cnc digitized and machined now, with whatever mods you want. Just need the moola!
Ya that lack of "moola" seems to be a common problem.

I would think if you are only looking for 300cfm @ 0.450" I would think you wouldn't have to do a lot. I wouldn't even bother with carbides and just get 60-80-120 grit sanding rolls and tapers and 180-240 grit buffing discs. Like you said smooth out the casting flash, a little better knife edge on the divider and blending the gasket match and you should be fine.

This is what 12 hours gets with Robbie:

Intake:

1ZXI%FspRva1Tfc4vbo5nA.jpg

hSlRaESVQNaBtA9R4RimoQ.jpg

Exhaust:

C8F1Q8y+TT6wbaTQYrbkVQ.jpg

IoBK9KYpRGS+n2RRueaZcg.jpg

I am not 100% complete but that’s about how I do mine too. I have a couple more tricks up my sleeve as it relates to the gaskets and port sizes but I will show them when I get to that point. And who knows Robbie might already do it, but part of it is drilling a small alignment hole in the head, manifolds and gaskets and then using a roll pin to keep everything lined up. There is enough slop in the gasket around the stud holes that the gasket can shift covering part of your port.

You can see in the unfinished port below, that I lay down the machinist blue, and then the gasket and use a metal scribe to get my line and then open the port to that size. This one is close with 60 and 80 grit but needs to be cleaned up with 120 and 180 grit still. And I haven’t touched the valve side of the port yet.

12 hours sounds like a bargain! Lol

E5AA246B-678C-4D9A-AAB4-5E4D80CEF9F0.jpeg

How did I miss this thread! Count me in! Might be a little expensive to ship a head to Bahrain...

How did I miss this thread! Count me in! Might be a little expensive to ship a head to Bahrain...
If we had the cnc data we would only need to provide data to any cnc head porter in our area!
I for one would be willing to pay for the data if the flow and velocity numbers were where they needed to be for my project.

so how much does the head work help really? i know on racing cars it can be worth a ton but with the old ECM and wimpy cams i cant imagine you get a ton of extra power.

This thread isn't for people sticking with old ECM and wimpy cams.

so how much does the head work help really? i know on racing cars it can be worth a ton but with the old ECM and wimpy cams i cant imagine you get a ton of extra power.

Well if you are talking CNC work and the like then the market is very small as said earlier. Just wondering what real world power is to be made from the old forklift engine from some head work.

If Bahrain was for real, I’m excited. It was his one and only post.

The market is very small in terms of Mud. The poster from Bahrain I imagine sees a lot more high performance 1FZ's. Not to mention the OP Hazard is in the middle of a no holds bared 1FZ build with Titanium connecting rods and custom pistons, also a very small market, but this isn't being done for the majority.

Well if you are talking CNC work and the like then the market is very small as said earlier. Just wondering what real world power is to be made from the old forklift engine from some head work.

Im not a guy that trades cars very often. I’m old enough that I’m thinking in terms of keeping the 80 until I can’t drive it anymore. I want to have good we’ll thought out parts. I’ve been DD my 1994 while my regular DD Tacoma had some maintenance performed. Better brakes and more hp and this thing is perfect. Total outcast in glitzy Dallas, but I love it.

this isn't being done for the majority
I agree with you, there's an old saying when it comes to building High performance engines, "Speed cost money, how fast do you want to go"

Yeah and I am not saying it to be an a******, but well thought out parts from one person's needs are not the same as another persons. For example with this mod, we are talking about increasing flow dramatically for Hazard's purposes it is because he is increasing displacement drastically, or for other purposes it is because there is a big power adder being used. For 99% of the population neither a huge turbo or custom displacement changes make sense in this application. Increasing flow and port size means for the average person slowing port speed, which is not what you want. So well thought out for well thought out purposes not for everyone.

Im not a guy that trades cars very often. I’m old enough that I’m thinking in terms of keeping the 80 until I can’t drive it anymore. I want to have good we’ll thought out parts. I’ve been DD my 1994 while my regular DD Tacoma had some maintenance performed. Better brakes and more hp and this thing is perfect. Total outcast in glitzy Dallas, but I love it.

Yeah and I am not saying it to be an a******, but well thought out parts from one person's needs are not the same as another persons. For example with this mod, we are talking about increasing flow dramatically for Hazard's purposes it is because he is increasing displacement drastically, or for other purposes it is because there is a big power adder being used. For 99% of the population neither a huge turbo or custom displacement changes make sense in this application. Increasing flow and port size means for the average person slowing port speed, which is not what you want. So well thought out for well thought out purposes not for everyone.
I am learning a lot of stuff here about something I know nothing about. I am in the 99% and don't have the skills or the equipment nor knowledge to do any of this myself, but I like to learn about things and the way they work. I am not great at it, but that doesn't effect my curiosity.

So in general, what is the reason that people do this type of thing? You talk about increasing flow and the need desire to do so when adding a turbo and increasing displacement, but how much more air can the engine handle when you do this and how do you know how much to do? What are some of the basics as to how you use the equipment to do this and what type of tools do you need?

If someone did a decent write up on hand port n polishing the 1fz head, others could imitate it to the best of their abilities. When I rebuilt the heads on my 3vzfe(a dohc version of the 3vze) I just followed a write up in the mr2 forums where someone showed step by step what to do. Not as accurate as a cnc port, but I did the best I could. I learned a lot and really enjoyed it. I didn't go crazy on polishing. The results were awesome. Very noticeable. Almost like a turbo spooled up with light boost around 3k rpms. That was with a 3.0 motor. I imagine a 1fz would rock n roll with a similarly basic port n polish job. I only spent like 150.00 in materials at most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom