Center diff switch question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the clarification! So much more complicated than my YJ, which is a simple pull of a lever and I'm in 4-LOW!

Doing the trans filter and topping off all the fluids today. If that goes well, I'll drive it around the block a few times and see how things go from there. I haven't been able to get a CDL light to come on, but it's definitely going into low range without a doubt. Lots of lights aren't working; I wouldn't be surprised if the dash light is out.

Same thing on an 80, pull the lever and you are in 4low with the center diff locked (in OEM configuration). Check out the recent thread with @Proven to go over the CDL light diagnosis.

@Freshmeat Welcome. :flipoff2: Now that that's out of the way, you'll find all the answers 80-series FAQ, plus the things you'll learn while searching for those answers will be valuable in speeding up the search for answers to the next questions. Or will maybe just create more questions...the jury's kinda out on that one.

Importantly, learn the differences between 91/92 and 93-97 models. Not everything is the same and some functions are different (CDL is one). This will keep confusion to a minimum when people answer a question without seeing what you're driving (such as when viewing on a phone since the signature line doesn't show unless you're in landscape mode).

@Freshmeat Welcome. :flipoff2: Now that that's out of the way, you'll find all the answers 80-series FAQ, plus the things you'll learn while searching for those answers will be valuable in speeding up the search for answers to the next questions. Or will maybe just create more questions...the jury's kinda out on that one.

Importantly, learn the differences between 91/92 and 93-97 models. Not everything is the same and some functions are different (CDL is one). This will keep confusion to a minimum when people answer a question without seeing what you're driving (such as when viewing on a phone since the signature line doesn't show unless you're in landscape mode).
I started off there and it went downhill FAST in terms of finding more questions. I’ve already caught on that 91/92 are going to be different from later years and I’m gradually getting a grasp on all of it. The crew here has helped me get up to speed very quickly on several things. I’m working on some very basic maintenance items this week and will start a build thread to keep track of where I am as I go.

That’d be awesome, thanks! This is my first FJ build so I’m learning as I go. Bought a major fixer-upper, just going to be working my way through it over the next few months.

Never thought I’d say this down here, but once all the ice melts in a few days I’d love to take some time to check out your rig!

just let me know and we can arrange something - send a private message

96/97 should be the later style switch like this:
View attachment 1613376

It still works like the one Dave posted though. It should stay in when it's activated. I'll try to remember to take an on/off pic when I get to the shop later this morning.
Thanks for that, a blonde moment on my part, I forgot the later dash and switches were different. :rolleyes:

Regards

Dave

If its the same why do people have to trim it a little? (IIRC)
I have no idea why people do what they do. All the center dash switches are the same size.

If its the same why do people have to trim it a little? (IIRC)

I think there's a keyway that prevents insertion of the plug. If so, the trimming is done on the plug, not the face.

I think there's a keyway that prevents insertion of the plug. If so, the trimming is done on the plug, not the face.
;) Hence the label not being the only difference.

Switch1.jpg

I misunderstood your comment. I assumed you were referring to the dash opening.

Obviously, you are correct, the connector has to be trimmed to use the hazard switch.

I think my switch is bad then. It doesn't have the same feel as the hazard switch and doesn't stay depressed like the hazard does.

I think my switch is bad then. It doesn't have the same feel as the hazard switch and doesn't stay depressed like the hazard does.
Yep, should click and stay in. Not much, but different than a momentary switch. Like a retractable pen.

Tested it with a multi-meter, definitely momentary. The guy I bought it from claims it worked.

I hate to waste my time taking the dash apart to prove him wrong. I don't see the part number on the switch and can't figure out how get it apart.

I wonder if it is the wrong part or if it is defective. Or possibly a a homemade marriage of incompatible parts since it supposedly came out of an LX-450 which I'm not sure even came with the switch.

CDL SW1 (800x571).jpg
CDL SW2 (800x519).jpg

To close on this. I installed the used switch and it did not work. Diff lock was constantly engaged. I bought a new switch and it was definitely push on push off. Returning used switch for refund. Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom