Center diff switch question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hate to ask without more research but I bought a used center diff switch on eBay for my 1997 cruiser and due to scheduled surgery won't be able to install it until after my return period is over.

The switch is supposedly out of a a 96 LX 450.

I expected it to be push-on/push-off type but it feels like a momentary switch. Is something broken in it.

Does it sound like it is working. I have a multimeter if I need to test it that way.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

The visible part of the switch push button will return most of the way. Be aware that US spec Landcruiser’s nor the LX had the cdl switch from the factory.

It sounds like your switch is working properly. Your multimeter will tell you for sure.

Should there be a light indicating that the center diff lock is functioning properly?

Should there be a light indicating that the center diff lock is functioning properly?

In short, yes.

If the CDL is engaged, the ABS & CDL lamps will light.

You will usually have to move the truck forward or back a few feet to allow the parts to align.

If the CDL lamp flashes, this indicates that the CDL is attempting to lock, but hasn't yet.

If nothing lights up, you may have a connection issue. Or the lamps could be burned out.

by "lamp" he means the indicator light in the dash, not on the switch

you're welcome to look at it in our 80 in Baton Rouge

Not on the switch itself, but on your instrument panel below the speedometer.

There's a good chance that your CDL sensor (there are two on the transfer case, one for 4-low and one for CDL locked) has stopped working. Search mud for "cleaning CDL sensor". I had to replace one of my sensors, and the other came back to life with some 'cleaning'. It's also possible that your CDL motor is frozen.

When you press the CDL switch, you should hear a relay click near your feet and, if you have long enough arms to press it while crouched down outside the door with the engine off, you should hear the CDL motor whirring.

I get the feeling the OP has the switch in his hand and is simply pushing the button to check the action. I will not be with my 80 for a few hours, and by coincidence the dash is out.

IIRC the button is pressed and stays mostly in, press again to release, I don't remember it bring momentary.

Check back in awhile unless someone else can confirm?

There is an illumination bulb wired to the lighting circuit but no indicator that lights up during activation, as per earlier posts, there is a lamp in the lower dashboard, which rather strangely does not light up during the bulb check sequence on mine or other euro models, ROTW, unsure.

Regards

Dave

The switch is definitely NOT momentary, it is push, on push off.

20180117_090832.jpg
20180117_090837.jpg

Regards

Dave

96/97 should be the later style switch like this:
20180102_190434.jpg

It still works like the one Dave posted though. It should stay in when it's activated. I'll try to remember to take an on/off pic when I get to the shop later this morning.

by "lamp" he means the indicator light in the dash, not on the switch

you're welcome to look at it in our 80 in Baton Rouge
That’d be awesome, thanks! This is my first FJ build so I’m learning as I go. Bought a major fixer-upper, just going to be working my way through it over the next few months.

Never thought I’d say this down here, but once all the ice melts in a few days I’d love to take some time to check out your rig!

It's the same switch as the hazard switch. It has a different face on it.

It's the same switch as the hazard switch. It has a different face on it.
If its the same why do people have to trim it a little? (IIRC)

If the CDL lamp flashes, this indicates that the CDL is attempting to lock, but hasn't yet.

Not on a 91-92.

No condition on those years produces a flashing light. It's just off till the diff locks, then on once it is. No flashing to indicate whether or not it's *trying* to lock, unfortunately.

"Freshmeat", if I were you I'd just push the button next time you're out running around town. With any luck it'll lock at some point. And no, you won't hurt anything by having it lock on pavement, even if you don't notice for a minute or two.

Not on a 91-92.

No condition on those years produces a flashing light. It's just off till the diff locks, then on once it is. No flashing to indicate whether or not it's *trying* to lock, unfortunately.

"Freshmeat", if I were you I'd just push the button next time you're out running around town. With any luck it'll lock at some point. And no, you won't hurt anything by having it lock on pavement, even if you don't notice for a minute or two.
Thanks for the tip. Other than Subarus, this is my first AWD vehicle and definitely the first with this diff lock mechanism.

So, to be clear, the light will be off when I hit the button, but will come on once it engages? Does it automatically engage when in low range? Should the light be on in low?

Sorry for the dumb questions. I’m trying to research as I go, but I’m pummeling myself with write-ups about window tracks, radios (PO cut out radio plugs), suspension, EGR, fusible links, and and and...

I just did the Pin-7 mod and installed a CDL switch. The switch when pushed in, stays in just a little bit.

So, to be clear, the light will be off when I hit the button, but will come on once it engages? Correct. Ideally, it will engage (and the light come on) almost instantaneously. Does it automatically engage when in low range? Should the light be on in low? Yes (in stock configuration), and yes.

Thanks for the clarification! So much more complicated than my YJ, which is a simple pull of a lever and I'm in 4-LOW!

Doing the trans filter and topping off all the fluids today. If that goes well, I'll drive it around the block a few times and see how things go from there. I haven't been able to get a CDL light to come on, but it's definitely going into low range without a doubt. Lots of lights aren't working; I wouldn't be surprised if the dash light is out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom