255/85r16 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, the stock rims work great. I have a set of Toyo M55's on one of my 100's and they are awesome.

I recently went from 285/16 to 265/70/18's & tundra wheels. The offset looks a little in, but getting used to the look. I was going to use a wheel spacer but opted not to. No regrets, it's still a very heavy setup at about 95 lbs per tire & wheel.

IMG_2121.JPG

Is the 255 a good fit for stock rim width?

Yes. The stock rim width is within the range provided by most tire manufacturers for 255. I run 255/85R16 Dick Cepek Extreme Country on stock rims and they fit fine.
Yes, they are in the range... but at the recommended road tire pressure. At off-road tire pressure, they will certainly work but a higher chance of unseating the bead.

Yes, they are in the range... but at the recommended road tire pressure. At off-road tire pressure, they will certainly work but a higher chance of unseating the bead.
Not sure about that. I have stock 16x8 rims which are in the recommended width range from the manufacturer.
From Cooper: LT255/85R16 recommended width: 6.5 - 8"
I regularly run the ST/Maxx (E rated tires) at 42 psi on the highway and between 18-20 off-road without any problems (and have run as low as 15).
Maybe it's an issue with a different tire?

Maybe I can elaborate, 6.5" rim width will be more optimal off-road and 8" will be more optimal on-road. The tire will operate fine within that range (and likely slightly out of it) but "Is the 255 a good fit for the stock rim width?" depends on usage. For best compromise, I'd suggest staying within the middle of the "recommended rim width."

Yes, your point is well taken.

I also wonder what kind of sidewall profile they would have when aired more toward the maximum side of things (for highway use, trailer towing)?

Ideally, they should be mounted on a rim of about 7" width.

The less sidewall 'bulge/flex' they have...the rougher they will ride.

rim to tire fit.png

Is the 255 a good fit for stock rim width?

I think the stock rims are 1/2” wider than what Cooper recommends, but they are no problem to mount and look fine. There is obviously less sidewall bulge than with a 285, but it doesn’t look like a drift car. You might be able to tell from this pic if you zoom in. In a perfect world, I’d like them on a 6.5” or 7” wheel, but I seldom need to air down with the rear locker given the terrain I run on.

E9693FAE-6590-440E-BA3A-A2DD0A82A76A.jpeg

097CBD58-1515-49F8-A709-D3C5FB8C2CEB.jpeg

Yes. I have 1 1/4” spacers front and rear. I think that’s why my 285s were rubbing. The 255s would look very tucked in without the spacers.

Mounted on stock wheels at 32 psi they measure 32.5”. They are probably 32.75” when brand new.

Hola Enrique. I’m running 255/85s on my ‘99 after selling some 285/75s that I ran for 3 years. The steering is much lighter and acceleration and braking are a bit improved as well. I’d like to think I’ve gained on the fuel economy front too but I don’t bother to track mileage in this rig. I had light rubbing with the 285s, but now have none with the 255s. I do notice that the skinnier tire does follow the troughs in the road a bit more (is this what you mean by “tramlining” staggerlee??). Overall, I’d say if I had to buy tires again tomorrow for a 100, I think I’d go 255 again.

View attachment 1610690

View attachment 1610691
Thanks for the reply. I have four 16 ome wheels ready, just have to save $ for the tires. My ome wheels are from a lexus 98-2002 era and have the number "60" inside the rim. I believe this is the standoff length. At any rate, don't know if i need spacers?

I don’t think you will need spacers, but the tires will be 1 1/4” more tucked in than they are in my pics without them.

I used to run 255's on my Montero, just a great tire size but the engine ( 3.0L V6 ) seemed a bit overwhelmed at times....
Just bought some 100 stock rims 8x16 to go back to 255's, currently running K/O 275/60 18.
also wondering if the wheel nuts of the LX470 alloy rims fit for the 100's alloys?
Found this site useful to compare tire sizes...

Tire Size Comparison

What color are you going to coat them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom