How bad is your gas mileage? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On 275/70/18 K02's I am getting 12.5-13 city and 15.5-17 hwy (usually around 80mph). On the weekends with slightly lighter traffic I can get 14.5 city. Craziest thing about my 200 is that cold weather can make a 1-2mpg difference to the bad in mpg. I live in NC where weather can be 20 degrees one day and 60 the next. I would think it would help due to O2 dense air on cooler days.

On 2 lane state highway i can see 19-20mpg. Best i ever saw was 21mpg on factory tires.

Stock '11 here with Michelin LTXs. I get the same numbers and I use a Scangauge II to calculate my MPG. The LC got just over 20 MPG this past weekend traveling on a two lane highway at 55-65mpg.

I've also experimented with leaving ECT on for a couple of tanks and off for a couple of tanks - MPG results are the same.

That ECT part makes sense.. I'm pretty sure all ECT does is let you rev higher before it shifts gears. So once at highway speed--where its just cruising in top gears anyway--ECT would no longer come into play unless you abruptly accelerate and it down-shifts a bit more readily.

Someone can correct me on that, but I think that's all it does.

Last edited:
I just filled up and got 16.8 40/60 mixed driving around town and some two lane hwy over the course of 321 miles. All of it was 5280 ft or higher though with about half over 9000ft so I imagine that helped.

The rack isn't helping his aerodynamics - though I'm not sure how much of a factor this is with mostly city driving. I had a basket-style BajaRack on my Tacoma - PO installed. I removed it and gained 2 mpg.

With factory tires and the Gamiviti rack (with fairing) I was getting 17 on the hwy, which was similar to what I got for the first few months without the rack. There's probably a hit but it was small. On the highway it's likely a little more now with the additional crap I have mounted to the rack. I don't think it makes any real difference in the city though. Here you basically accelerate to 25 and then immediately brake. If you're lucky there are a few stretches on Main St which you can hit 30 for ~2 blocks before stopping again.

Biggest mpg hit was the tires. Going from factory 31.5" Bridgestone to 34" Nitto Ridge Grappler ATs was a 10-12% hit in actual mileage (adjusting for speedometer correction). They're sooooooooo much better in the snow though that it was absolutely worth it. (I saw a similar hit when going from factory to Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos on my 3rd gen 4Runner as well - 18.5 to 17mpg, so the mileage impact was not a shock).

That ECT part makes sense.. I'm pretty sure all ECT does is let you rev higher before it shifts gears. So once at highway speed--where its just cruising in top gears anyway--ECT would no longer come into play unless you abruptly accelerate and it down-shifts a bit more readily.

Someone can correct me on that, but I think that's all it does.
I'm not an expert but it does a little more than that. There's a noticeable off-the-line difference between normal and power settings (enough so that my wife puts it in normal mode because she doesn't like the torque-y acceleration from a stop and in 20 years hasn't yet learned that the gas pedal has more than 2 positions - off and floored).

Based on the computer, my normal mileage is around 11, so its probably a bit over that as I'm running a larger tire. That's pretty heavy city driving (Orange County, CA) and a heavy truck with bumpers/rack. On longer open trips it'll report 14-15, normally at 75MPH. At Moab it was sub 5, but that was a unique opportunity, lol. Towing a 40 series on a heavy uhaul trailer got just over 9 round trip from Irvine up to Pismo for Turf & Surf.

I'm not an expert but it does a little more than that. There's a noticeable off-the-line difference between normal and power settings (enough so that my wife puts it in normal mode because she doesn't like the torque-y acceleration from a stop and in 20 years hasn't yet learned that the gas pedal has more than 2 positions - off and floored).

Agreed. I use ECT all the time while towing. It's fairly pronounced on the 200-series as even my wife notices it when she drives after I forget turn it off after a camping trip...and she usually doesn't notice anything.

As a tuner, I can tell you it does at least the following:
1) Revised throttle pedal maps. These are more aggressive such that initial pedal tip in dials to more aggressive throttle maps
2) Revised transmission shift maps. The transmission is more aggressive in holding gears and to higher rpms.
3) Likely changes to engine maps and VVTi controls (cam angles) to keep the motor more on "boil".
4) More engine output = loss of mpg!

Based on the computer, my normal mileage is around 11, so its probably a bit over that as I'm running a larger tire. That's pretty heavy city driving (Orange County, CA) and a heavy truck with bumpers/rack. On longer open trips it'll report 14-15, normally at 75MPH. At Moab it was sub 5, but that was a unique opportunity, lol. Towing a 40 series on a heavy uhaul trailer got just over 9 round trip from Irvine up to Pismo for Turf & Surf.

Ya. I think you're right. I believe it also changes the gas pedal/accelerator sensitivity calibration--basically making gas pedal movement more sensitive to foot pressure--in addition to changing shift points.

Last edited:
I get about 13-14 in combined driving. 16.5 at best on the hwy.

Maybe we should all consider adding a fuel shark mod? ;)

fuel shark.jpg

Last two tanks I averaged 14.3 and 13.8, running 275/65R20 Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws. Was seeing about 2MPG better with stock tires.

I get 12 mpg driving 16 miles round trip to the gym everyday. I hit about 4 stop lights and avg about 30-35 mph when driving along A1A flat terrain. On hidhway vacations here in Florida combo freeway and local roads avg. 19 mpg. Forgot to add I’m running 56 lb BFG 285/55/20’s ;)

Last edited:
Between the fuelshark and my turbonator my fuel consumption is around 645mpg, the oil changed itself and all my herniated disk healed itself.

So voodoo works! Wish I'd known so I could have skipped the metal plates in my leg... ;)

= (enough so that my wife puts it in normal mode because she doesn't like the torque-y acceleration from a stop and in 20 years hasn't yet learned that the gas pedal has more than 2 positions - off and floored).

Ha - yes I keep telling my wife.....its a pedal, NOT an on/off switch! We used to call them "digital drivers"

Does anyone have any experience with how badly ARB Aluminum Series full length roof rack affects MPG? Looks like the aerodynamics would kill mileage

I'm averaging 12.7 mpg over 9k miles tracked on the Fuelly app.. Last mpg was 10.8 however, which may be attributed to the winter blend fuel plus post-Prinsu rack install.

Lol!!! I was joking about this earlier! This is my LC after some traffic. It’s also why my wife drives a Prius!

It’s just a stock 2013 with rock warrior wheels and BFG KO2 tires.

DB178CAC-9728-40B4-8074-0EB40DC33740.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry to revive this thread, but has anyone tested the accuracy of the fuel economy display in our trucks? My vehicle is stock and I haven't put a whole lot of mileage on mine yet, but I'm typically seeing much higher economy that most are reporting (18.5 highway @ 75mph and 16.6 commuting and around the city in Sport+). I've downloaded Fuelly now and will check for myself, but was just curious about others experiences.

Stuck at 13.3 city driving goes up to 14-15 highway driving for a distance. I have a 3" lift, BP-51s,SPC UCAs, 33" A/T Toyos, Budbuilt sliders and full skids. I am also easy on the pedal. When it was stock I used to do 14.5-15 city and 16 hwy

2016 LC stock still with less than 20K miles purchased used about 5 months ago with 14K miles on it.
Low has been about 13mpg
High has been about 17mpg
Live in Austin area travel once a month to Beaumont to go fishing with my dad. Work from home so mileage is grocery runs, out to dinner with wife.
Have September road trip planned up to Lake of Ozarks Missouri.
Did not buy this thing for gas mileage. Bought to keep for next 20 years as my go where ever I need to go vehicle. Hope to start modifying it in next couple of years for overnight staying for fishing trips along the gulf coast. Pull my boat and sleep overnight in LC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom