Builds Joined the 40 club! 1970 FJ40 Frame off build... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Before I clean and try to restore/fab these backer plates, are these still available?

20180106_174514.jpg

They are a little dinged up on the bottom...

20180107_131645.jpg
20180107_131655.jpg

Last edited:
There is still a ton of hardware that needs to be sourced though. Like these in gold cadmium...who has these? Last time I checked with Beno he was not taking new clients on.

CADS-Model.jpg

Last edited:
Best thing for odds and ends like that would be to fill a box with them from the whole truck and send them off to get CAD plated. There are some good shops around that do small mail order batches like that. I used to do a lot of business with ColoradoPlating.com. They were always friendly and always had lots of other automotive one offs in there. I used to get about 15-20lbs done for their minimum charge.

Depending on how far you want to take it, you could also buy some good Spray Paint that mimics CAD plating and do it all yourself.

Best thing for odds and ends like that...

Thanks for the tip! Yep, thought of that too, found one locally that does CAD plating. It most likely will be what I do not just for the nuts and bolts but clips, brackets and such. Just didn't know if they were easily purchased to save me from standing in front of the blaster. Wish there was a list of all OEM cadmium plated items to make it easy! ie gas pedal...

Real deal for me, I found that paint just comes off when I torque.

1- i do not ride motorcycles because they scare me, but if i did, yours would be the one. WOW
2- i went with 60 knuckles for discs as well, good call
3- aloooha from hawaii
4- my daughter lives in ferndale/bham area, lots of hawaiians in WA

@kcisland - if you don't mind me asking, what kind of setup do you have for sand blasting. Was checking Amazon but there are quite a lot of options. I don't have a large compressor though, so that could be a hindrance.

Between the holidays and bad weather I was unable to get much painting done, so spent a lot of time cleaning, blasting and ordering parts. I did get the OME 2 1/2" on, still needs to be torqued and grease in the zerks.

View attachment 1606580

Anti inversions look a little funny, I assume they will straighten out with weight.

View attachment 1606582

That looks great on there!

That is exactly how the anti-inversion shackles should look with a hanging spring, they will kick back significantly when they get some weight on the springs.

Thanks again! :cool:

@kcisland - if you don't mind me asking, what kind of setup do you have for sand blasting. Was checking Amazon but there are quite a lot of options. I don't have a large compressor though, so that could be a hindrance.

Redeye,

I just have the cheap Harbor Freight cabinet and gun Abrasive Blast Cabinet - but i did upgrade the gun and siphon tube to the TP tools model https://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-O...abinet+Kit+-+Trigger+Operating+System+6525-TG - thinking it would help issues. The biggest issue is the air compressor. Read the requirements and get the biggest one you can afford.

My compressor is barely there and I have to wait to build the proper pressure at times. But I have so much to do I will just stop and go clean something and come back.

It is good enough for small parts but I sourced out blasting for the frame and axles. HTH.

Last edited:
That looks great on there!

That is exactly how the anti-inversion shackles should look with a hanging spring, they will kick back significantly when they get some weight on the springs.

Thanks again! :cool:

Thanks Kurt!

Can't say enough about the fast, quality service. Laying everything out and getting a small order for missing items to be coming your way.

Redeye,

I just have the cheap Harbor Freight cabinet and gun Abrasive Blast Cabinet - but i did upgrade the gun and siphon tube to the TP tools model https://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-O...abinet+Kit+-+Trigger+Operating+System+6525-TG - thinking it would help issues. The biggest issue is the air compressor. Read the requirements and get the biggest one you can afford.

My compressor is barely there and I have to wait to build the proper pressure at times. But I have so much to do I will just stop and go clean something and come back.

It is good enough for small parts but I sourced out blasting for the frame and axles. HTH.

Nice. Thanks for the info dude. I'm considering sand blasting small parts and axles as I'm going to shove FJ62 axles under my 40 and I'm sure they need some help in terms of rust. Haven't seen them yet, but I'm working a deal with a Cruiserhead to swap axles + welding expertise for some cash I'm owed on a 62 I'm selling him. So the sand blaster is definitely needed. Time to start shopping!

-Ed

Got paint down this weekend!

Two coats epoxy primer, 2 coats epoxy semi gloss. Hit 50 degrees here this weekend but I was worried about the humidity so I went heavy on the kicker, hardened right up.

r.jpg

s.jpg

I didn't want to paint in my small shop so I set up a cheap Harbor Freight shelter for a paint booth.

p.jpg

q.jpg

It worked OK. It saved me a lot of de-greasing, but I was l little disappointed at some of the grease in the threads. It was apparent on the rag when I dried them off. Maybe if I left them in a little longer.

I wasn't sure what kind of condition they need to be in to get cadmium plating, and wasn't happy with how they turned out so into the blaster they went.

20180114_111347.jpg

Before:

20180114_095033.jpg

After:

20180114_142745.jpg

So planning ahead with the 60 series knuckle/axle swap. Just so I have it straight in my head:

LONG SIDE - 60 series outer axle/birf goes onto my shorter 40 axle as the 60 axle is too long.

SHORT SIDE - 60 series can be used as is because it is the same length as the 40 series. (Although I will take it apart for inspection and repack the birf with new grease.

Is this correct?

birf.jpg

birf2.jpg

So planning ahead with the 60 series knuckle/axle swap. Just so I have it straight in my head:

LONG SIDE - 60 series outer axle/birf goes onto my shorter 40 axle as the 60 axle is too long.

SHORT SIDE - 60 series can be used as is because it is the same length as the 40 series. (Although I will take it apart for inspection and repack the birf with new grease.

Is this correct?

You got it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom