Previous 80 owners? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
just wondering how many of the 120 crew ran the 80 previously?

I have one of each but can only keep one

;-(

The current 80 series has been mine for a year and a half, I had another 80 for several years before that which I rolled. My 80 series has everything: on board air CB radio upgraded stereo clean interior full armor triple locked and only 220,000 miles, the GX is an 03 with 190,000 and a little rough, I’m sure it will cost a fortune to outfit the GX compared to my old 80 series, but at some point the old needs to be replaced?

4B4DFF85-302C-40D8-9297-D553387F1AEF.jpeg

I had a FJC and an 80, now have 4Runner and GX.

K8fjbZK.jpg

ofGS2p5.jpg

I had a 97 lx450. God I loved it. I will have another too eventually. Greatest off road platform ever built.

Had an 80 prior to my GX, sold it 5 years ago and I miss it every day. Ditto on previous post.

I do love the GX, esp since I'm uninterested in difficult trails any longer and prefer to explore.

My 06 GX and 1992 80 (still in my garage). My fast and slow lane vehicles.
4596CC89-6B38-4D0B-A4C2-1115FBE2A67D.jpeg
26519AF9-F6FC-4A2A-B156-E90182538E78.jpeg

In my case the GX was a no brainer to replace my 80 Series that lost the bottom end.

In your case I would stick with the 80 Series. She still has a lot of life left in her. Invest in re-gearing and you will feel much better about the under powered 6 cyl.

Last edited:
we still have both our 80-series

the GX will get me a speeding ticket sooner or later :bang:

I needed justification to get a 4Runner.. The FZJ-80, has reached antique status, but is tough to beat..
The added Insurance and Regis. fees are minimal, as a second vehicle.
I am limited on space, but something ELSE will have to go.

20180101_164634-1.jpg

For me living at high elevation and towing a small trailer the 80 had to go. The V8 in the GX is great for towing. For me, a 2.5" lift, a little bigger tire, and a front bumper with more clearance in the GX makes it a lot more capable than stock. As far as cost of modifications, just depends how much you want to do.

I'm new to the GX community but still have my 93 80 series.
It's slow, AC doesn't cool enough, rough at start up but once is warm it rides like a Cadillac.

image.jpeg

Also had a '92 - triple locked, re-geared amongst many other things. As much as I loved the 3FE it was also its achilles heel for my needs (long-ish freeway runs to get where I needed to be and freeway hill climbs always kept me chugging in the right-hand lane even after the re-gear).

I miss it, it was the best vehicle I've ever owned. Funny how a V8/GX can magically ease that pain.....no regrets letting my 80 go.

Also in Gilbert BTW if you ever want to get together for a beer and chat about rigs/adventures. Cheers!

I had a locked/built 97 for a while and switched to a GX after realizing I didn't need front/rear lockers and 35's for what I actually do. I have no regrets, and getting to highway speed in half the time is a plus.

I have had my GX for 2 years next month, and last weekend I bought a 97 LX 450. They both have pluses and minuses, but I opted to buy an 80 mostly built for less than it would cost to make the GX as capable and reliable as the 80 on 35's. To each their own, but I think most of it comes down to what you like to do with your rig, and how big your budget is to get it where you want it.

IMG_6228.JPG

80 & 100--> 4r & GX. I miss the simplicity of the 80, but the new owner, who is on this board, put it to great use.

just wondering how many of the 120 crew ran the 80 previously?

I have one of each but can only keep one

;-(

The current 80 series has been mine for a year and a half, I had another 80 for several years before that which I rolled. My 80 series has everything: on board air CB radio upgraded stereo clean interior full armor triple locked and only 220,000 miles, the GX is an 03 with 190,000 and a little rough, I’m sure it will cost a fortune to outfit the GX compared to my old 80 series, but at some point the old needs to be replaced?

View attachment 1610070

Im in the "both" category. My wife drives a stock gx470, but wants me to sell the 80 and use the gx for the trail rig. Not sold on the idea. The GX is lovely, but they aren't the same kinds of animals.

I have had my GX for 2 years next month, and last weekend I bought a 97 LX 450. They both have pluses and minuses, but I opted to buy an 80 mostly built for less than it would cost to make the GX as capable and reliable as the 80 on 35's. To each their own, but I think most of it comes down to what you like to do with your rig, and how big your budget is to get it where you want it.

View attachment 1612776

HA! I looked at that one. Its a nice rig for sure. Did he ever say he got the oil leak up front sorted out? I think its just the oil pump gasket but its leaking pretty good. Glad to see it went to a fellow mudder though.

HA! I looked at that one. Its a nice rig for sure. Did he ever say he got the oil leak up front sorted out? I think its just the oil pump gasket but its leaking pretty good. Glad to see it went to a fellow mudder though.

The oil leaks are not sorted out yet. I had it cleaned, and am taking it back in tomorrow to identify all the leaks, then having them repaired. It is a nice rig!

The oil leaks are not sorted out yet. I had it cleaned, and am taking it back in tomorrow to identify all the leaks, then having them repaired. It is a nice rig!

Bettin its the oil pump and front main based on the size of the leak. Where you taking it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom