Factory Auxiliary Sub Tank Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just returned from Mojave Desert with no need for Ca. gas. Over 400 miles
Arizona gas $2.27
California gas $3.92
My sub tank has almost paid for itself in savings

LOL. Just did the same returning from Az. Stopped at the last gas in NV and filled up, and only had to buy 10 gallons of very expensive Eastern Sierra gas to get all the way home to Northern California! Literally $2 per gallon cheaper in NV, than in Lee Vining. That alone was an $80 savings, and I've done that like 10+ times so my sub tank was free!

Little over 3 years since the install and I have not had any issues. I highly recommend the Holley blue pump as I have ran it dry for close to a hour on more than one occasion :doh: and its fast.

I estimate I have come close to paying for the install cost with the fuel price saving not being forced to pay high prices when traveling.

Little over 3 years since the install and I have not had any issues. I highly recommend the Holley blue pump as I have ran it dry for close to a hour on more than one occasion :doh: and its fast.

I estimate I have come close to paying for the install cost with the fuel price saving not being forced to pay high prices when traveling.

What was your total costs in parts?

Thanks for the feedback on the fuel pump as I am copying that part for my install. I was a little concerned because the Holley instruction say to mount the pump vertically with the motor up. I figured since you were running is horizontally it must be ok. I plan to use the empty signal from the sending unit to power a buzzer to alert me when to stop pumping fuel.

^ or you can automate the 'turn' off with my little subtank control module (and use the factory momentary action switch to manually start/stop the transfer). My sig will take you to my website and you can read up on my install, if it is of any interest.

cheers,
george.

Got it, thanks! $470 - not bad, I am definitely interested!

IIRC $350 was the dual filler neck I also repaired and resold my 1st filler for a $150 profit.
Making my net cost $470-$150= $320 I like that number better:D

^ or you can automate the 'turn' off with my little subtank control module (and use the factory momentary action switch to manually start/stop the transfer). My sig will take you to my website and you can read up on my install, if it is of any interest.

cheers,
george.

I've been going to your website for years and have gone over the subtank page many times. How do you think I figured out the red/yellow wire on the sender goes to ground when the tank is empty. My original plan was to use your control module but the switch I got turned out to be on/off so I just went down the manual path.

Last edited:
Filled my empty (special) sub tank

jZOgzPRcqf7o35lhdB3CuLC8fFJ7GINFX9GB6N_k2RLlYNAM9IU8DsXFC0YdEvQuYtnfEh9zX8IL-weSOhWtWANeO5zOsx_LmNozGjNZY2CCvHqFlI05fOPTg_cU3qf_XFuI2xOvmMopigB_R4240b5Fx2KdPla8cKh8GwH0ZVEtK2fEvFOEyu9XUvR5Hc3PC1wbR10U_RYGla-kKs99dZGtL3P-MekB84jKYCzHCEej4unFhkyrE5EE9eXGR6Wy4gpxQ3OBO2OAxFO1XcwqrZa0nUz4gutkRcSIz_UnJyEiXDAQSl8VeZ-cQ9n8AleYBSggEe7riJi6KKe5QdG7vjpcV6gt9OQ0kPz8LsK7LkLQnDE9EeUbZ0haUW6Oj2bKuWNC4O25KGyWrE5krKAczI9_DvVCw6O7F159akL5Z5y54d-csHw3sUMOTOOVEcNGyWiC67v0cnUscWN3WciloB2Y_nEZCuFqdmUngLckdVh6jZWWE7BrOEsFrFHY2wU5bI2lWuu2BHo3LImXN9h5M3nymSrF8SxiGBEI72NzllIWM_DsBW4cd_CTx8_QAI8XUPIav0fXsCkUarv7CvsGCW5LON1RK9cO7UVt-E-u=w1185-h888-no

Did the same last week. 15 gal. Did you fill your main after that? How much did it take?

Main first
I tested my sub when first installed and I could get all but 1 quart out of it. I modded pickup by flattening the pick up tube, pressed to the bottom of the tank, and using no sock or filter until fuel is out of the tank.

Most i've ever been able to put in is 35.5 combined. That was running with the low fuel light on for way way too long.

another thank you here phil. after acquiring a sub tank and dual filler neck (and not much else) from a friend for FREE, and reading for hours and hours on the full factory switch, ECU, wiring, yada, yada, i thought, there MUST be an easier way to do this. i was brainstorming when i came upon your thread and you've already done what i was thinking in terms of more solid strap mounts to simple transfer. AWESOME! thanks for sharing.

are hydramats worth the cost for this issue?

Not sure what a hydramat is but assuming its for a pickup fuel getting everything but a quart is good enough for me with no additional cost.

I haven’t started my sub tank install yet so this might be obvious once I get going on it, but does the sub tank build up any pressure like the main does with a bad charcoal canister? Or are the vents tied together somehow?

I haven’t started my sub tank install yet so this might be obvious once I get going on it, but does the sub tank build up any pressure like the main does with a bad charcoal canister? Or are the vents tied together somehow?

Vents tie together

Thanks!

Gates 23964 gas filler neck hose - soft and flexible

I have ~2' remaining after the install if you are in need

Is the Gates 23964 still working well for between the 90-degree filler neck and sub tank? I used the Toyota hoses that i picked up from CDan a decade ago, but recently discovered that the hose into the sub tank is collapsed, preventing refill of the tank. I think I need something stiffer but not so stiff that I can't worm it into place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom