TLC Owner Looking for GX 470 for Wife - What Do You All Think of This One? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

VinylSeats

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey, All. I'm casually looking for a GX 470 for my wife. She was in an accident last year that has motivated me to get her into a safer vehicle. She was driving (and currently drives) a 2005 Subaru Forester. We both really love the car, especially my wife.

During the accident, my wife was hit on her driver's side by an elderly driver. We are very lucky that the other driver was in an old Camry. The accident made me very aware of how low the Forester is to the ground. While we like that for snow driving (we live in Denver), I'm now very aware of how bad the accident could have been if the other driver had been in a truck or SUV.

I grew up around Land Cruisers, as my dad owned an 80, 100, and a GX 470. I love my 100 series and would like to get my wife into something in the TLC family. However, she really prefers driving something a little smaller than my 100. I'm thinking a GX 470 could be the perfect fit.

The main things I'm looking for:
-No Navigation System
-Beige/Tan Interior
-Third Row Seats
-1 Owner (preferable but not necessary)

I recently came across two GX 470s that look promising:

Vehicle 1
This one seems to fit all my criteria. What do you all think? I'm not sure if the timing belt has been done a second time. Might have to try to fit that into the price.
CarGurus
Carfax

Vehicle 2
Timing belt done at 180k. This one doesn't have a third row? Are all GX 470s able to accommodate the jump seats? If this one didn't come with them, can I just find some from another seller and throw them in?
CarGurus

Thanks for the help. Any other advice on GX 470s is much appreciated!

Some feedback:
Vehicle 1: Third row option, no nav, and mark levi. I would recommend focusing on this one.
Vehicle 2: Rare to see a no third row truck. You CAN'T add them as they don't have the mount points if it wasn't an installed option. The BIG problem with this is not just retro'ing in seats, but the fact that without third row, you get NO REAR AC.

Some feedback:
Vehicle 1: Third row option, no nav, and mark levi. I would recommend focusing on this one.
Vehicle 2: Rare to see a no third row truck. You CAN'T add them as they don't have the mount points if it wasn't an installed option. The BIG problem with this is not just retro'ing in seats, but the fact that without third row, you get NO REAR AC.
Gotcha. Thanks for the feedback.

Vehicle 1 is definitely higher on my list. With that third row and AC info in mind, I may have to focus completely on rigs with factory third row. Narrows things a bit more, which I like.

In that same vein, I've been focusing on just 2003 to 2007, because it looks like 2008 and 2009 all have factory navigation. Is that correct?

No, there are EXTREMELY rare cases of non-nav in 08 and 09 (the buyer had to order it without nav and wait for it). Hard to find but they do exist. Depending on your goals, 05 comes with vvti. 40ish HP boost but comes with the added fun of bypassing or fixing the secondary air injection at some point (it WILL fail). I have an 03 because it is very simple, has a cast intake (05+ have plastic with the vvti), and is a little dumber on some of the sensor stuff (fewer CELs).

No, there are EXTREMELY rare cases of non-nav in 08 and 09 (the buyer had to order it without nav and wait for it). Hard to find but they do exist. Depending on your goals, 05 comes with vvti. 40ish HP boost but comes with the added fun of bypassing or fixing the secondary air injection at some point (it WILL fail). I have an 03 because it is very simple, has a cast intake (05+ have plastic with the vvti), and is a little dumber on some of the sensor stuff (fewer CELs).
Interesting. I'm a fan of simple. Specifically sought out my 100 with factory stereo and it will stay that way.

So, do the 2003 and 2004 both have that "dumber" philosophy throughout? Should I focus on those models?

Hey wolf'
Take a little joint up to the north-side and walk around that lot. You can get a pretty good impression of the type of dealership it is quickly. I've driven through it when I was looking for my next project and got a bad vibe.

Perhaps this (option #1) is the diamond in the rough?
It does appear to be a one owner vehicle and stayed here all it's life...I was originally concerned it was an auction vehicle given the history of this particular dealership.

You probably know this already, but if you are willing to travel or have it shipped, I think you can get one with far fewer miles for the prices indicated on those two linked vehicles. Also, if you are willing to chip in another $1500 or so, it could make a big difference in how good of an example you can buy.

Good luck.

Interesting. I'm a fan of simple. Specifically sought out my 100 with factory stereo and it will stay that way.

So, do the 2003 and 2004 both have that "dumber" philosophy throughout? Should I focus on those models?
I have experienced a LOT less problems in my 03 (same as 04) in terms of sensitivity to alignment, yaw, 02, etc sensors. I think as they get newer they complied with DOT needs by turning up the nanny. I don't have real data to confirm this, just my experience over the last 8 years.

Hey wolf'
Take a little joint up to the north-side and walk around that lot. You can get a pretty good impression of the type of dealership it is quickly. I've driven through it when I was looking for my next project and got a bad vibe.

Perhaps this (option #1) is the diamond in the rough?
It does appear to be a one owner vehicle and stayed here all it's life...I was originally concerned it was an auction vehicle given the history of this particular dealership.
Good to know. Yeah, I may go take a look. Thanks for your feedback on the dealer.

I'm assuming it was traded to Audi Boulder and needs the timing belt done. Audi Boulder probably put it up for auction and these AP guys picked it up from them.

You probably know this already, but if you are willing to travel or have it shipped, I think you can get one with far fewer miles for the prices indicated on those two linked vehicles. Also, if you are willing to chip in another $1500 or so, it could make a big difference in how good of an example you can buy.

Good luck.

Gotcha. I've never traveled too far to pick up a vehicle. I don't like the idea of not seeing the thing in-person before I buy or make a big trip. Any tips on how to buy a car in a different state?

I have experienced a LOT less problems in my 03 (same as 04) in terms of sensitivity to alignment, yaw, 02, etc sensors. I think as they get newer they complied with DOT needs by turning up the nanny. I don't have real data to confirm this, just my experience over the last 8 years.
Good to know. That definitely aligns with my intuition.

Gotcha. I've never traveled too far to pick up a vehicle. I don't like the idea of not seeing the thing in-person before I buy or make a big trip. Any tips on how to buy a car in a different state?
I've flown or driven up to 6 hours to pick up a couple of vehicles, and I've sold a couple to buyers who did the same.

I've also bought a couple sight unseen from reputable dealers who shipped them to me (shipping a few hundred miles isn't terribly expensive). I bought our 570 from an Audi dealer in Raleigh and a CLK430 from a MB dealer in Pennsylvania. Both of those vehicles exceeded my already high expectations in terms of condition and cleanliness once I actually saw them. And both were at VERY good prices at the time.

The key is to get a very clear description of the vehicle, good clear photos, and confirm the service history and accident history (I don't want any accidents at all). If the seller isn't willing to do that, then move on to the next candidate.

IMO, it's worth the effort and a decent bit of expense to get a vehicle that I'm very happy with in terms of condition, color, etc. If I saved a thousand dollars in travel or shipping, but ended up with a significantly less satisfying vehicle than I wanted or than I could have had, I'd forever be reminding myself that I should have gone the extra mile, so to speak.

One key requirement, for me, in order to get the right vehicle at a good price is to have some patience in finding the vehicle, and look diligently. Sometimes they just fall into your lap, but most of the time, not.

I've flown or driven up to 6 hours to pick up a couple of vehicles, and I've sold a couple to buyers who did the same.

I've also bought a couple sight unseen from reputable dealers who shipped them to me (shipping a few hundred miles isn't terribly expensive). I bought our 570 from an Audi dealer in Raleigh and a CLK430 from a MB dealer in Pennsylvania. Both of those vehicles exceeded my already high expectations in terms of condition and cleanliness once I actually saw them. And both were at VERY good prices at the time.

The key is to get a very clear description of the vehicle, good clear photos, and confirm the service history and accident history (I don't want any accidents at all). If the seller isn't willing to do that, then move on to the next candidate.

IMO, it's worth the effort and a decent bit of expense to get a vehicle that I'm very happy with in terms of condition, color, etc. If I saved a thousand dollars in travel or shipping, but ended up with a significantly less satisfying vehicle than I wanted or than I could have had, I'd forever be reminding myself that I should have gone the extra mile, so to speak.

One key requirement, for me, in order to get the right vehicle at a good price is to have some patience in finding the vehicle, and look diligently. Sometimes they just fall into your lap, but most of the time, not.
Cool. Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it. I may start expanding my search a bit. We definitely have some neighboring states that tend to have lower prices.

I have tan 3 row seats in Pagosa Springs if you find one without, $200

This one out in Nebraska also fits my criteria with much lower miles. It has been at the dealer for over a year. That seems a bit worrying.

This one out in Nebraska also fits my criteria with much lower miles. It has been at the dealer for over a year. That seems a bit worrying.

is there a way to have it check by another dealer or independent?

Looks promising if it checks out, but one does wonder why the dealer has had it so long (assuming that info is correct). Has GX 460 wheels which look good on the 470, and looks like Michelin tires (the best, IME), but can't tell from the photos how much tread is left. Interior looks good in the photos with a reasonable amount of wear on the seat bottoms. Would be interesting to see if Carfax reveals any issues (Carfax misses a lot of stuff, but if problems show up on Carfax, they're likely real.)

is there a way to have it check by another dealer or independent?

Looks promising if it checks out, but one does wonder why the dealer has had it so long (assuming that info is correct). Has GX 460 wheels which look good on the 470, and looks like Michelin tires (the best, IME), but can't tell from the photos how much tread is left. Interior looks good in the photos with a reasonable amount of wear on the seat bottoms. Would be interesting to see if Carfax reveals any issues (Carfax misses a lot of stuff, but if problems show up on Carfax, they're likely real.)
I'll probably call today to get more info. This one is by far the best fit for my criteria that I've seen during my 3 month search. The miles are very low compared to other options I've seen. But that 1 year on the lot is worrying.

Time being on your side is a good thing, with that said, the nice one's priced appropriately don't usually sit long.

The :princess: just got a 2006 4Runner Limited - V8, with Nav, w/o the KDSS.
She approved the Bilstein lift, to be installed before spring, as well as some side armour.

Glad to hear your wife is doing well..

Good luck and have fun with your TEQ search.. :cheers:

not to rain on your parade, but four of the five GXs I test-drove at used car dealers had undisclosed problems (the last one was just priced too high) - in other words: although I was already leery of used car dealers before, the experience thoroughly confirmed my distrust - the only good thing about used car dealers is that they list the VIN in their ads so you can check out the service history on the Lexus website in advance

with vehicles from Nebraska, you will have the risk of significant rust (I used to live in Omaha)

Last edited:
Time being on your side is a good thing, with that said, the nice one's priced appropriately don't usually sit long.

The :princess: just got a 2006 4Runner Limited - V8, with Nav, w/o the KDSS.
She approved the Bilstein lift, to be installed before spring, as well as some side armour.

Glad to hear your wife is doing well..

Good luck and have fun with your TEQ search.. :cheers:
Nice! V8 is the way to go on those gen 4s.

not to rain on your parade, but four of the five GXs I test-drove at used car dealers had undisclosed problems (the last one was just priced too high) - in other words: although I was already leery of used car dealers before, the experience thoroughly confirmed my distrust - the only good thing about used car dealers is that they list the VIN in their ads so you can check out the service history on the Lexus website in advance

with vehicles from Nebraska, you will have the risk of significant rust (I used to live in Omaha)
I'm with you on dealers. I'd always prefer private sale but I keep an eye on dealers too.

Good point on rust. I'd definitely prefer it come from Colorado or west of here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom