Line X (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thinking about Line-X for the entire exterior. I called one shop and received a $5,500 price quote. That seems really expensive to me. Anyone priced this lately? I am calling another shop next week. Thanks.

I wouldn’t. I might do a ri g around the underside, but paint should be cheaper and line x all around might not be very functional.

What’s the selling point for going all line X if you don’t mind me asking?

x2, Its like wrapping your car with sandpaper, I only see negatives with doing this.

If you want to ruin you exterior, you dont need to pay $5k for someone else to do that, you can do that job your self for about $500. Upol Raptor liner. Youll need a compressor, a good resporator, and a make shift paint booth to capture the overspray. Youll just need to need to do some surface prep ahead of the application.

IMO- line x applied completely over an auto exterior looks awful, holds dirt and dust, its heavy, and its permanent.

Line Xing the entire exterior stops rust from the outside, but it's still going to rust from the underside wheye you will not see it.

Thanks for the comments. First, while I love my rig, I can’t stand the color (the mass produced champagne). I bought it despite the color b/c it’s in mechanically excellent condition.

I drive it through brush so a new paint job doesn’t make sense. I’ve seen Line X or similar products applied with a lighter coat so that it doesn’t have the extremely rough and irregular clumps that does look ugly. More of a rough but relatively flat texture is what I’d be going for.

5.5k seems way too much though. I’ve lookef at wraps but they peel with thorns so...

Wraps look good mind you, plus it is repairable. I know of people who overland that have there vehicles wrapped for this reason. How much is it to repaint, not a fancy job just a quick scouring and paint and clear coat.

Get hypnosis to overcome the color, and save your $$$ for useful mods like lockersnor bumpers & winch, good tires and preventive maint.

Monstaliner Bedliner

Lots of examples in there with a similar product. (DIY, roll or spray, with good surface prep) Been awhile since I went through the whole thread, there may be a few 100s as examples in there.

IMG_1260.JPG

It's the imperfections that make her so beautiful.

My Land Rover was covered head to tow in scratches. That's what she was build for. That's how she was used.

Why not just get a cheap spray gun and Plastidip the entire truck? Going to cost you a tenth of the quote you got....either line-X or plastidip will look like crap anyways so you might as well go the cheaper route.

Plus plastidip you can peel off easily and do spot repairs....line X, you're pretty much screwed if you ever want to go back to stock.

One of the contractors at my work used to own a freshly built Wrangler that was originally built for Chicago Bears' Matt Forte by a local bodyshop "The Auto Art" and that entire truck was Rhinolined (minus the plastic hardtop) which I believe is along the lines of Line X. I've personally detailed that truck for him on a few occasions and I would not recommend doing that kind of finish. It always looks dirty and is difficult to wash and keep clean. The only upside is it never got scratched (it's never been offroad so not sure how it would hold up to trail pinstriping).

I bet the coating adds a ton of weight also, especially if you fully disassemble everything and do engine and door jambs like this Jeep.

92633621138bb3b738f3d3adbc00bba3---jeep-wrangler-jeep-wrangler-unlimited.jpg

If you don't like the color of a vehicle the easiest way to change it is to sell it and buy the same one in the color you want. Raptor Liner from Amazon, as mentioned above, is the cheapest way to do this but you're ruining the truck's worth by spraying the whole thing. Regular auto paint/supplies have gotten so expensive that the easiest way to change colors is to sell and buy another.

As far as adding weight as mentioned above, it's a myth. It'll take 2-3 Raptor Line kits to spray your whole truck. The Raptor Liner comes in a box with 4 bottles weighing about 5 lbs., so at most you're adding 15 lbs. That's probably about the same as primer + 2-3 coats of regular auto paint. The texture makes people think it is heavier but it really isn't.

Why not just get a cheap spray gun and Plastidip the entire truck? Going to cost you a tenth of the quote you got....either line-X or plastidip will look like crap anyways so you might as well go the cheaper route.

Plus plastidip you can peel off easily and do spot repairs....line X, you're pretty much screwed if you ever want to go back to stock.

One of the contractors at my work used to own a freshly built Wrangler that was originally built for Chicago Bears' Matt Forte by a local bodyshop "The Auto Art" and that entire truck was Rhinolined (minus the plastic hardtop) which I believe is along the lines of Line X. I've personally detailed that truck for him on a few occasions and I would not recommend doing that kind of finish. It always looks dirty and is difficult to wash and keep clean. The only upside is it never got scratched (it's never been offroad so not sure how it would hold up to trail pinstriping).

I bet the coating adds a ton of weight also, especially if you fully disassemble everything and do engine and door jambs like this Jeep.

View attachment 1600074

They did a FULL respray???? That is foolish... Ha ha why the hell would you bedliner your engine bay???

Thinking about Line-X for the entire exterior. I called one shop and received a $5,500 price quote. That seems really expensive to me. Anyone priced this lately? I am calling another shop next week. Thanks.

To the OP, if you aren't afraid of spending a bit, and you want a durable offroad coating, then you might look at some epoxy finishes. The person I bought my 100 from used an epoxy finish on his 80 series that they use on some heavy duty equipment at his work. His 80 is by far the coolest 80 series I have ever encountered. He has put some crazy miles on his 80 and it still looks fantastic.

80 Series Landcruiser

Last edited:
I did my beat to hell fj40 in bed liner stuff and I really liked the color and durability.

A light color holds dirt and even pressure washing would not clean it out. Trying to wash it by hand don't let your exposed skin rub on it or you may as well have rubbed it on 80 grit sand paper.

I warned the guy I sold it to that the body was all bondo and rust and thats why I lined it. He said its no problem he does good body work. I told him good luck with that I hope you enjoy it as much or more than I did :).

They did a FULL respray???? That is foolish... Ha ha why the hell would you bedliner your engine bay???

To the OP, if you aren't afraid of spending a bit, and you want a durable offroad coating, then you might look at some epoxy finishes. The person I bought my 100 from used an epoxy finish on his 80 series that they use on some heavy duty equipment at his work. His 80 is by far the coolest 80 series I have ever encountered. He has put some crazy miles on his 80 and it still looks fantastic.

80 Series Landcruiser
Actually now that you mention it, the engine bay was not rhinolined. It had a big Hemi V8 swap.

Door jambs and tail gate jamb was definitely rhinolined though.

The best and most expensive route would be to do an actual full paintjob and have the entire vehicle wrapped in PPF (paint protection film) like 3M, XPEL, or Suntek... The full wrap would be in the $4-10k range depending on the shop and the part of the country you're in...but these are self healing films that should easily withstand most rock chips and scratches. We charge around $5k to do a full car at my work and it's definitely a growing trend with high end sports cars (we do mainly Porsche) but our old PPF installer wrapped all his personal SUVs and you can't even tell the film is on there if you disassemble the car and wrap all the edges. Even without disassembly, you'd really have to be inches away from the paint to see the film.

I’ll second the epoxy recommendation. Plus the 3m film is legit. I’d like to do this on my roof.

I can respect and appreciate your dislike for the paint color. If we had our way, this would only be sold in white, black, gunmetal grey, and desert tan.

I might do something for the underside in rhino or line x but there are a lot of options out there that are cheaper and more functional.

What do you think about epoxy?

I have a trail rig 40 that the PO hurculined. It is the worst finish I can imagine. Flaking and peeling making it a detriment to selling. Think I’mgoing to have to strip it all off just to help sell. Not really a fan, will NEVER recommend or use.

80 Series Landcruiser

80 Series Landcruiser
Ghanks. This is an idea I hadn’t considered. I’ll start researching this. If you have any photos of how it looks, I’d appreciate that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom