Who is running Doug Thorley Headers on a VVTI (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I will throw out that the 1999 LC I bought has DT headers, the PO said that the header gaskets DT provided leaked on the passenger side, and so he changed to OEM gaskets. Apparently the passenger side is very difficult to get to.

My buddy is running them on his 06 GX which is the same motor and likes them but the HP gain will be minimal at best as the stock cats are staying intact since it is basically a shorty header. My buddy basically went to DT because his stock headers were rusty.

:eek: This thread is taking a bad turn

In the interest of re-directing the topic. I see that the factory muffler center section and left-hand center pipe part numbers overlap the engine change. The head pipes and tail pipe are different. I think there is a reasonable chance that the Thorley exhaust may work on the later truck.

A little off-topic, but similar and maybe someone in this thread will have an answer.... I was wondering about the Doug Thorley Cat-back system on a VVTI also. Their website shows the cat-back as fitting 99-05, which really doesn't make any sense. Why not 98, and why not 06-07? I assumed the exhaust was the same for the whole 100 series run, but maybe I'm wrong. Anyone have it on an 06-07? I'd love a little more growl.

Some people complain about the exhaust drone at highway speeds.

Gains have been documented on all wheel dyno. 21 hp and 12 ft lbs of torque and Revs much easier. Well worth the money.

From the dyno. Even more with exhaust.

Wheel Horsepower: 210.4 @ 4150 RPM (Gain of 21.6HP / 10.2%)

Wheel Torque: 281.4 @ 3200 RPM (Gain of 12.3 ft-lb / 4.3%)

Last edited:
CatBack Exhaust Testing

I am not sure on the ems exhaust.

I know my 2004 with dt headers and full ems exhaust feels quicker than stock and I have 600 lbs of armor. It could be just the SOUND. ;<)

So $875? That's not as steep as I thought...Wonder if there's any issues with passing SMOG in CA....

This has been on the DT product page for eons:

CARB E.O. #: Pending approval (call for updates)

So I passed smog in Denver with a set of DT headers (and a supercharger...). Ha ha I was sweating big time on if the LC would pass, and I failed the first time through.... for a bad gas cap! Never been so peeved and relieved at the same time. I attached the numbers that my car provided in the test.
Emissions.jpg

I recently sold my 80 and purchased a 100 series, my first 100. I got carried away when replacing the exhaust (had to, muffler has holes in it from corrosion). Should have stopped with just the Borla catback but also ordered the Doug Thorley headers for the VVTI engine, they are being installed in the next week or so - I'll let you know what I think. I think the correct DT part number for the VVTI is getting in very short supply, and are not being manufactured anymore, so make your decision soon. I ordered from an EBAY seller in Canada, headers cost me $645 and that seller still has a set left if you are interested. The truck already feels like a race car compared to my armored 80 on 35" tires with original gearing, not sure if the headers and catback will make a huge difference but it's fun to do and will sound nice (I hope).

So $875? That's not as steep as I thought...Wonder if there's any issues with passing SMOG in CA....
This may be answered below but i know its been a thread topic before. not the VVTI specifaclly, just DT's in general.

Gains have been documented on all wheel dyno. 21 hp and 12 ft lbs of torque and Revs much easier. Well worth the money.

From the dyno. Even more with exhaust.

Wheel Horsepower: 210.4 @ 4150 RPM (Gain of 21.6HP / 10.2%)

Wheel Torque: 281.4 @ 3200 RPM (Gain of 12.3 ft-lb / 4.3%)

UZ what vehicle are those #s from?

I’ve got a 98 with 35s. Put on DT headers and exhaust last summer and it almost feels quick. Pretty much night and day I thought and it sounds great. It wasn’t cheap, especially to install, but it’d be impossible to go back. It’s for sale now due to my continuing to have kids.

I just ordered a set, might not install until summer, need to decide on what to do with the rest of the system. A total replacement is my first choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom