Real time tow help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Truck shi* the bed in down town Chicago. Currently in a parking structure with a 6'8" clearance. I'm thinking the starter took a dump. My roadside found a guy, I'm assuming he is going to be using a dolly. Any advice as to how to get the truck out safetly?

Truck has power at about 12-14v. I have zero tools on me. I suspect the starter or starter fuse. When the key is turned no sounds, no clicking, slight drop in volts, gas gauge loses power totally. I had a rough start this morning with white smoke that cleared after 15 minutes. Ambient temp this am was -1* and is about 3-6* currently in the city.

I've got the t-case in neutral and the shifter in neutral currently. Tow truck on the way.

If he brings leads with him it is worth a try, other than that your diagnosis of starter is probably good, can you hear any relays clicking at all in the fuse box.

IF the starter, often times if you put a set of cables on the battery, then tap the starter (using any long tool you can fit through the passenger side/rear manifold) it will free up the solenoid enough to start. You can just barely see the starter, but rap it pretty good a few times and chances are....it will start (assuming all connections are good).

If it's the starter, anything else that should have done. I was planning on having the 100k service done in the next few months and was going to replace the starter at that time.

About what does a new starter run at a dealership? I'm out of town and it's pretty cold. I'm not to keen on doing it myself right now.

If it's the starter, anything else that should have done. I was planning on having the 100k service done in the next few months and was going to replace the starter at that time.

Look at your heater Tee's and hoses (if not previously done). They are much easier to reach and replace when the intake is off (replacing the starter).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom