Builds Rebirth of Squatch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I hate to say it but no real physical progress lately. However, I have been making theoretical progress that is giving me an actual direction in order to get this thing smog legal in the communist state of California.

I decided to reach back out to the CA BAR and setup a call with a referee to discuss some of the issues I have been having, including the issue with the secondary air injection not being programmed into my ecu even though all the CVNs match according to the GM TIS website.

From this conversation I was told that since it is a motor swap in CA, everything has to be CA compliant. Therefore a "Federal" ecu programming is not allowed. When I asked what my options where, I was told that I would have to have the computer reprogrammed by GM to a VIN # that is a CA compliant. I was under the initial understanding that I had to stick with the Vin/year motor that I original tried to get to pass. The referee who is the district manager for CA BAR told me that I am not stuck with a particular vin or year until it passes. At this point the dim light bulb went a little brighter and directly asked if I could switch to a 2002 Vin, which he actually suggested I do, as it eliminates the need for Air Injection and EGR. Sounds like a win/win for me.

I also verified that the exhaust needs to be uncut but I am allowed to cut the factory exhaust after the second o2 sensors. I am also not allowed to program electric fans or remove the VATs through tuning as the CVNs will change.

It was also reiterated multiple times that I have to provide a PO/Invoice from a dealership showing that they verified that programming/CVNs and that it is indeed a factory tune. I have gone to the Folsom Chevrolet dealership and they told me this is something they will not do. I plan on trying Roseville Chevrolet when it is back up and running. Hopefully if I drive it in there they will have an easier time of saying yes. If anyone here is a GM tech or is friends with a GM tech in the Nor Cal area that is willing to help that would be awesome.

As for the physical work, I did strip the EGR and air injection off the motor this morning as well as switch the manifolds back to stock truck manifolds. Luckily I have a buddy who is swapping a 6.0 in a pre-smog scout and he gave me his stock non-egr manifolds and mechanical fan. As for the exhaust it is going to be really tight but I might be able to get it to work with some creative thinking.
So 2002 California has no egr and no air injection?? My motor swap is a 2002 drive by cable motor is why I ask. Right now I'm hooking up the evap parts. I knew air injection was phased out by 2002 at least federally.

So 2002 California has no egr and no air injection?? My motor swap is a 2002 drive by cable motor is why I ask. Right now I'm hooking up the evap parts. I knew air injection was phased out by 2002 at least federally.

That is correct, I verified this through a number of stock computer flashes from the Hptuners tune repository, as well as lt1swap.com website. Brendan is very knowledgeable and has been very helpful up to this point.

I also found a local 2002 Suburban for sale with the 5.3, and acted like I was interested in buying it. I did this so I coukd take a picture of the emissions sticker on the air box that shows there is no egr or air injection for CA standards. I can upload a picture later if you are interested.

Last edited:

As Promised

24460937507_55a45f2066_c.jpg

Definitely a bummer to hear this! Looking forward to seeing your future project! If it’s not a Toyota or 4x4 related, make sure to post a link here for us to check out. Good luck at the new job!

Ok, I didn't read this whole thread or know all the details, but I know that Gorg @orangefj45 at Valley Hybrids in Stockton really knows a lot about Vortec swaps... you might reach out to him to see what needs to be done. Hope this helps.

I also found a local 2002 Suburban for sale with the 5.3, and acted like I was interested in buying it. I did this so I coukd take a picture of the emissions sticker on the air box that shows there is no egr or air injection for CA standards. I can upload a picture later if you are interested.

Taking the credit for all my hard work eh?

I love that scouts are still.cheap

I love that scouts are still.cheap

I think I got very lucky with this one. I have seen ones in worse shape command more money.

Also the build list for this one is already starting out a bit better. Picked up a pair of 14" Fox Piggyback Coilovers and a front dana 60 with 4.88s, Detroit, and high steer.

As slow as the hardcore section is, I dont think anyone will care if this turns into a build thread for your scout!
I third that. the old scouts are cool!

presmog is definitely the way to go in California IMO. that is part of the motivation for me to build my fj40.

Alright I guess I'll do a build thread for the scout until the moderators kick me out. Question is, do I start a new thread or continue it here?

Also the cruiser is going to a new home this weekend so I should be able to bring the scout home soon.

Keep the mods at bay by using some Toyota parts :flipoff2:

Keep the mods at bay by using some Toyota parts :flipoff2:

Mine has cruiser axles and a split tcase .
There is an international section, but I think you'll be fine. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom