200 Series and Tundra wheels on 100 series photo thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I will play. I bought a 1998 LC in February that had aftermarket 18" chrome rims that were peeling and leaking. My boss happens to have an 08 Tundra he had put wheels on and had the stock rims undView attachment 1584098 er his deck. I paid him $200 for them, had the tires from the chromies put on them for $100, spent $20 on plasti-dip and here we are!

BEST looking factory wheel for 100 Series Cruisers for sure.........not that I'm biased :)

Tundra Wheels.JPG

Can anyone say if I have the right nuts for these wheels? My old wheels had a recess and the nut had washer and was shaped smaller at the end.... these nuts have conical end (dorman conical), it just felt strange tightening them down, I was able to get them tight but was unsure of the nut engagement with the wheel. And I'd like to run a small spacer, I read .75" is probably lowest I can use?

IMG_1702.JPG
IMG_1868.JPG

Can anyone say if I have the right nuts for these wheels? My old wheels had a recess and the nut had washer and was shaped smaller at the end.... these nuts have conical end (dorman conical), it just felt strange tightening them down, I was able to get them tight but was unsure of the nut engagement with the wheel. And I'd like to run a small spacer, I read .75" is probably lowest I can use?

View attachment 1584267 View attachment 1584265

You are definitely running the wrong lugs. you need 14 x 1.5 flat lugs. Why did you not reuse the OEM ones?

You are definitely running the wrong lugs. you need 14 x 1.5 flat lugs. Why did you not reuse the OEM ones?

LX lugs have a washer and smaller end that fits in the recess of that type of wheel... these wheels do not have a recess, basically flat front that goes right on hub... I'll search for the flat style and post back to verify

I have basically the same as these lugs, but not open ended... sorry if I didn't mention, I have tundra steel wheels that don't use the typical tuner style nuts with cast wheels that are kind of built up around the hub area. The ones I have do kind of center the wheel hole on the lug (but don't really need to bc hub also centers it). Hopefully someone can provide their experience, I know several on here have steel wheels, I searched a bit and couldn't find much info a few weeks ago when I did this wheel swap.

Toyota Tundra Snow Tire and Wheel Setup

IMG_1870.JPG

Those are the correct style lug nuts for steel wheels, perhaps some with more of "seating" area if you can find them. Mine are fairly close to the one pictured directly above.

Tundra 18" normal wheels using Land Cruiser center caps that came on the 18" wheels from 2003 onwards to clear front hubs. 275/65/18 tires
3acefaee-7d7e-4796-a1d3-56c0f2660968_zps775e16e4.jpg

Tundra 18" TRD wheels using center caps from 16" Land Cruiser wheels from 98-02 to clear front hubs. 285/65/18 tires

FullSizeRender_zps70d36e3e.jpg
What front bumper is that?

Hey Guys,

I picked up some 18" Tundra wheels to replace the 16" stockers on my 2002. I've got my Spidertrax spacers sitting in the garage and I'm ready to make the switch, just have a few questions:

1) I purchased 4 wheels and looking to buy a fifth. From what I can tell, there is no variation in this style of wheel, correct? I'm hesitant to purchase a 5th on eBay because all the wheels I'm interested in are marked "Y7" while mine is marked "Y8". Is there a difference?

2) Lugs. My 16" stockers have the acorn style nuts, but these Tundra rims look to be flush. What lug nut are you guys going with?

3) Tire size ( 7 years on MUD and I believe this is my first tire size question :D ) I'm assuming that since I currently run a 285/75/16 on my OME 2.5 lifted truck, that a 285/75/18 will fit just fine? Any benefits to going to any other size as I jump up to 18 inch rims?

I'll post some before and afters once the switch is made.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

page.jpg

@Fitzgerald

The switch from 285/75r16 to 285/75r18 is going from roughly a 33" to 35" tire.

Here is member @Kavik running those wheels with a 285/75r18 and it looks awesome. Read his signature line (pictured) for details.

Hope this helps.

Oh...ok... so that's not going to fit under my truck in the stock spare location... hmmm... :hmm:

Thanks for the info.

Oh...ok... so that's not going to fit under my truck in the stock spare location... hmmm... :hmm:

Thanks for the info.

If you were trying to stay in the 33" area you could check out:

305/65r18 wide
275/70r18 skinny
285/65r18 in the middle but short

If you're not committed to the 35's then consider 34's like:

295/70r18 wider
285/70r18

Most people (including myself) have fit 34's in the spare location but depends on hitch design etc.

Triple check that spacers do not cause rubbing with the above - especially the 305/65r18 & 295/70r18

Good luck and post pic when you get them mounted.

@bozncsurf

Awesome amount of info, thanks!

Any insight on the lug situation? Below is a pic of my stock lugs. Will the work fine for the Tundra wheels or are you guys going with a different lug?

IMG_4766.JPG

These babies are so dinged up I might be buying a whole new set of lugs either way. :D

@bozncsurf

Awesome amount of info, thanks!

Any insight on the lug situation? Below is a pic of my stock lugs. Will the work fine for the Tundra wheels or are you guys going with a different lug?

View attachment 1622022

These babies are so dinged up I might be buying a whole new set of lugs either way. :D

Honestly, I have no clue.

They look correct - acorn seat with a flat washer.

But this is definitely something I would verify with a professional.

Other members with these wheels PLEASE Chime In!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom