n00b to LC's. Just snagged a LJ70 and need to get smart (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I lived with the impression its a r150 ? cannot read anymore what is written on my truck.

R150 and G52 are very similar and look the same,I had the pleasure of having Marlin in my shop at one point when I had what I believed to be a stack of R151's and he spotted 2 G52's in that pile of identical looking transmissions to me ;)

Thanks Clint. Thats the hope. And yeah, I cant argue the find. Just need to learn. It has a nitro gas ironman lift on it right now that is a little tired. I think Im going to go with the dobinson lift, but have not decided yet. Looking at ironman foam cell; ome; and dobinson. Dobinson has the higher lift and weight capacity from the ironman; and while i like ome, the 40-45mm may not be enough for the 33’s once the rest of the gear make it onto the truck. Im gathering dobinson and ome are better quality than ironman anyway.

Im trying to find a weight on the 2LT. The cummins repower is 500lb, but being an old school diesel im guessing the 2lt isnt far off of it. How are the transmissions in these?

I haven't used any of those springs but the OME Sport shocks i put on a while back have been good. Quite firm which suits my setup. Be aware there were some changes to the LJ suspension over the years so double check all the sizes & shock mounting arrangements before you order a kit.

IIRC the 2L-T would be fairly close to 500lb. I think I lost 100lb+ when I swapped in the 1UZ which is around 400lb. No problem with the gearbox if it's a R151 / R150 - I 'think' all the turbo LJ's got that box but the VIN plate will tell you what you have.

Cheers
Clint

I lived with the impression its a r150 ? cannot read anymore what is written on my truck.

I thought they had the R150 and sometimes the R140( 4 speed) but Marks Adapters says they have the G52. Now this could be very much something that depends on the year.
In any case, it should be on the aluminium plate on the firewall, but I couldn't see one in the pic which is not good.

I thought they had the R150 and sometimes the R140( 4 speed) but Marks Adapters says they have the G52. Now this could be very much something that depends on the year.
In any case, it should be on the aluminium plate on the firewall, but I couldn't see one in the pic which is not good.

I’ll take a look again at the tag next time im back where I store it see what it lists.

If you look closer, the top of the picture is right below the part of the firewall where the tag is located. This is intentional.

Last edited:
I haven't used any of those springs but the OME Sport shocks i put on a while back have been good. Quite firm which suits my setup. Be aware there were some changes to the LJ suspension over the years so double check all the sizes & shock mounting arrangements before you order a kit.

IIRC the 2L-T would be fairly close to 500lb. I think I lost 100lb+ when I swapped in the 1UZ which is around 400lb. No problem with the gearbox if it's a R151 / R150 - I 'think' all the turbo LJ's got that box but the VIN plate will tell you what you have.

Cheers
Clint

Thanks Clint!!

More gearbox info from Marks Adapters. The G52 was used in the LJ70 Bundeera from nov 84 to oct 85 and then replaced with the R151.
The RJ70 kept the G52 84 till 92 in Aust until it was discontinued.
Both models had a diff ratio change and were upgraded from a 34mm idler shaft to 38 mm in oct 85 .
So KiwiKurt's LJ70 being an 88, should have a R151 with the 38mm idler shaft .
Toyota Bundera Information

For thOse that are unaware, the Bundeera was the name given to them by Toyota Aust. Elsewhere they were called Prados or Landcruiser II

Looks like you got yourself a nice find, I picked mine up with rust in the common places about a year ago for about 2700 EUR including the transfer fee in spain. Mine unfortunately was a farm truck down here in Spain so it's been beat up and has about 2x as many KM, so i can attest that the engine will last well over 400km. Are you serving in Bulgaria, just wondering?

Also i'll post some pictures in a bit of the throttle bracket they said you're missing, you might be able to get one made pretty easily?

I'm planning on trying to source a 1HZ and turbo that once I import mine back to the states.

Looks like you got yourself a nice find, I picked mine up with rust in the common places about a year ago for about 2700 EUR including the transfer fee in spain. Mine unfortunately was a farm truck down here in Spain so it's been beat up and has about 2x as many KM, so i can attest that the engine will last well over 400km. Are you serving in Bulgaria, just wondering?

Also i'll post some pictures in a bit of the throttle bracket they said you're missing, you might be able to get one made pretty easily?

I'm planning on trying to source a 1HZ and turbo that once I import mine back to the states.
If yours is a lj just know that you will need to swap your front sheet metal to that of a heavy duty 70, for any 6 cylinder swap

If yours is a lj just know that you will need to swap your front sheet metal to that of a heavy duty 70, for any 6 cylinder swap

good to know! Thanks, was wondering about that. I'll PM you if you have some more info on it.

good to know! Thanks, was wondering about that. I'll PM you if you have some more info on it.

A 1HDT is probably the same price or less than buying a 1HZ and turboing it. And direct injection runs cooler and more efficient too... Just an idea. Would be a great swap either way.

A 1HDT is probably the same price or less than buying a 1HZ and turboing it. And direct injection runs cooler and more efficient too... Just an idea. Would be a great swap either way.

I had considered that option, but as mentioned, it requires changing the nose of the LJ70's and a bunch of other stuff. The light duty LC's were designed around a 4cyl, so the inline 6 doesn't readily fit. Plus, a used 1HDT costs as much as the new Cummins R28.

Im sticking with a swap that retains the original sheet metal and such....just my preference on this one.

Good to know the engine will run for a while more. and yeah, if you can show me that bracket that would be helpful. Thanks much.

Good to know the engine will run for a while more. and yeah, if you can show me that bracket that would be helpful. Thanks much.

Here's that bracket I believe. Let me know if you need any other things, I'm gonna look around at a few junkyards in the coming weeks once I can convince my wife to come with me.

IMG_20171217_175345.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom