Northwesttaco's 80 series crawler slammed on 4d's and BS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also another reason for a double cardan is it would spread the force out over 3 u joints rather than 2.
Doesn't really work that way. All two or three joints will see the same load. Also, double cardan shafts do not work with parallel pinion and transfer case flanges. You will have vibrations set up like that. The pinion axis needs to be in line with the driveshaft axis.

Yeah thats what im thinking too.
Also another reason for a double cardan is it would spread the force out over 3 u joints rather than 2.

That's not how it works. If you are running factory original joints, replace them. Chances are that's what is causing your vibration.

Doesn't really work that way. All two or three joints will see the same load. Also, double cardan shafts do not work with parallel pinion and transfer case flanges. You will have vibrations set up like that. The pinion axis needs to be in line with the driveshaft axis.
This. But technically all the operating angles are more benign... anyway.

That's not how it works. If you are running factory original joints, replace them. Chances are that's what is causing your vibration.
I still doubt its really aligned if he has 6 degrees of caster and the shop didnt do a cut and turn but w/e

Yeah I know the pinion angle needs to be changed with a double cardan, luckily its a quick/easy thing to do.

I still doubt its really aligned if he has 6 degrees of caster and the shop didnt do a cut and turn but w/e
What do you mean not aligned? Not being phased correctly or the splines?

Yeah I know the pinion angle needs to be changed with a double cardan, luckily its a quick/easy thing to do.
yeah but you have to change caster too if you do :)

What do you mean not aligned? Not being phased correctly or the splines?
Coplanar

Why would caster need to be changed with a double cardan versus a single?

Because your pinion angle needs to change for the DC vs. stock shaft, and you can't change the pinion angle without changing the caster (unless you cut off, rotate and reweld your knuckle balls...)

Dude, turn the upper link after loosening the jam nuts on the heims. Do it with a digital angle finder on the knuckle so you can drop caster down in increments until you find a compromise in pinion angle and caster that will drive well and not piss off the driveshaft. Test drive it after each turn or two...

At 4-5” that is a tiny window of around 3 degrees. Not easy to find and not at all exactly 3. It’s a bit particular to your trucks u joint condition, you can’t pop the caps off and look at the roll pins easily... Also Not ideal, but if the grinding noise is gone you can buy time to cut/turn and do it correctly. You’re f@cked with 6 degrees on a stock axle and that noise IS the driveshaft asking for a lot less than 6 degrees... not a birf in the spindle or drifting to the crosspin... that would come and go rapidly in turning. The driveshaft is consistent, less and less as you approach the still way more than factory 3 degree area where it ‘might’ stop the grinding and will help with the way it drives down the road at 6.. it’ll soon only do it on/off throttle as you lessen that. Hopefully you can find it, but cut and turn or part time is your next mod regardless. Go back to factory caster on knuckle and pinion pointed just about tcase flange(with a lazer). And find a late model extracab driveshaft for the double Cardon. I have like 4 of them and seems only Tacoma’s have the bolt pattern on the tcase s flange. Redrill is kinda hard but definitely an option if you can’t find the exact joint you need. Piling the flange makes it simple, but those are pressed studs, not nuts/bolts because it’s tight to the housing as compared to a diff flange.

Stop paying people to wrench on your truck and you may learn it’s fun to accomplish troubleshooting and fabricating your own stuff? You got screwed on the axle rebuild and the guy paid no attention to some important angles. You’ll find some other issues at some point possibly.

Nukegoats probably scoping out your pics to try to help. I just skimmed over stuff cause I dig the look of your rig very much(40s and pretty low is sexy imo).

Dude, turn the upper link after loosening the jam nuts on the heims. Do it with a digital angle finder on the knuckle so you can drop caster down in increments until you find a compromise in pinion angle and caster that will drive well and not piss off the driveshaft. Test drive it after each turn or two...

At 4-5” that is a tiny window of around 3 degrees. Not easy to find and not at all exactly 3. It’s a bit particular to your trucks u joint condition, you can’t pop the caps off and look at the roll pins easily... Also Not ideal, but if the grinding noise is gone you can buy time to cut/turn and do it correctly. You’re f@cked with 6 degrees on a stock axle and that noise IS the driveshaft asking for a lot less than 6 degrees... not a birf in the spindle or drifting to the crosspin... that would come and go rapidly in turning. The driveshaft is consistent, less and less as you approach the still way more than factory 3 degree area where it ‘might’ stop the grinding and will help with the way it drives down the road at 6.. it’ll soon only do it on/off throttle as you lessen that. Hopefully you can find it, but cut and turn or part time is your next mod regardless. Go back to factory caster on knuckle and pinion pointed just about tcase flange(with a lazer). And find a late model extracab driveshaft for the double Cardon. I have like 4 of them and seems only Tacoma’s have the bolt pattern on the tcase s flange. Redrill is kinda hard but definitely an option if you can’t find the exact joint you need. Piling the flange makes it simple, but those are pressed studs, not nuts/bolts because it’s tight to the housing as compared to a diff flange.

Stop paying people to wrench on your truck and you may learn it’s fun to accomplish troubleshooting and fabricating your own stuff? You got screwed on the axle rebuild and the guy paid no attention to some important angles. You’ll find some other issues at some point possibly.

Nukegoats probably scoping out your pics to try to help. I just skimmed over stuff cause I dig the look of your rig very much(40s and pretty low is sexy imo).
Youre back! ?

If I had turned the pinion angle up to lessen the caster and drove it with the stock driveshaft that wouldn't help since then it would be set up for a double cardan.

I put ordered a Tom Woods double cardan which fixed it so im not worried about it now, how ever my rear does the same exact thing VERY slightly at 75mph+ which im not worried about since I don't drive it that fast that often.

And trust me I do wrench on my own truck.. Im a senior in college plus I work so I don't have the time, place/space, or a welder to link my own truck. Could I have? Yes but its not practical in the least for where im at in life right now. If I had my own house/shop and had every weekend off then its more of a doable thing.

Im a senior in college plus I work so I don't have the time, place/space, or a welder to link my own truck. Could I have? Yes but its not practical in the least for where im at in life right now. If I had my own house/shop and had every weekend off then its more of a doable thing.
The free time problem doesnt get better with age

If you aren’t wrenching now, you won’t be later... the most painful part of my mother birthing me was the metric wrench set and welding helmet I came out with

Drugs and video games are dirt bikes trucks pine trees and mountains, welding, tubing notchers,link equations and spreadsheets, torches, grinders, sawzall s and sockets and ratchets.... I kinda lost on the video games, but solid on the rest with my
Kids.

I’m not implying anything or being derogatory. And take no offense, the truck is truely fantastic! But I’m 45 or 46 and I used to built a truck in a month. Now it takes a fall or a spring and often I have to force myself to get going...

I just find the hobby my own personal version of Prozac, Xanax or whatever. It’s theurapuetic and doesn’t ruin your limbic system Only the wallet and it’s always fixable.

Also, I dint know you were a college student working. I wouldn’t have said that if so. I get it... my college student works 4 12s and has 12/15 units. He goes straight to the mountains on a day off car camping. Not to the garage to build anything often.

If you aren’t wrenching now, you won’t be later... the most painful part of my mother birthing me was the metric wrench set and welding helmet I came out with

Drugs and video games are dirt bikes trucks pine trees and mountains, welding, tubing notchers,link equations and spreadsheets, torches, grinders, sawzall s and sockets and ratchets.... I kinda lost on the video games, but solid on the rest with my
Kids.

I’m not implying anything or being derogatory. And take no offense, the truck is truely fantastic! But I’m 45 or 46 and I used to built a truck in a month. Now it takes a fall or a spring and often I have to force myself to get going...

I just find the hobby my own personal version of Prozac, Xanax or whatever. It’s theurapuetic and doesn’t ruin your limbic system Only the wallet and it’s always fixable.

Also, I dint know you were a college student working. I wouldn’t have said that if so. I get it... my college student works 4 12s and has 12/15 units. He goes straight to the mountains on a day off car camping. Not to the garage to build anything often.

Didn't take any offense, I too hate when people pay a shop to do everything but I do have my priorities for where im at in my life right now and sometimes I have to pay for someone to do the big stuff if I want to ever get it done.

This year i've put an extra effort on making school/work my first priorities and because of that I landed my career 7 months before I even graduate. Thankfully its Christmas break so ill at least have weekends to wheel this thing. Inaugural run happens this weekend.

Didn't take any offense, I too hate when people pay a shop to do everything but I do have my priorities for where im at in my life right now and sometimes I have to pay for someone to do the big stuff if I want to ever get it done.

This year i've put an extra effort on making school/work my first priorities and because of that I landed my career 7 months before I even graduate. Thankfully its Christmas break so ill at least have weekends to wheel this thing. Inaugural run happens this weekend.
Good for you. Have fun, be safe, and post some pics when you're back.

"I just find the hobby my own personal version of Prozac, Xanax or whatever. It’s theurapuetic and doesn’t ruin your limbic system Only the wallet and it’s always fixable."-Booger Weldz

Merry Christmas everyone! Hit Tahuya the other day with @Apounder, his cousin in another 80 on 37's, and our friend Dustin in a 3rd gen runner. Very happy with how well the cruiser performed, such a big difference coming from LT IFS on 35's..
IMG_1708.JPG
IMG_1705.JPG

IMG_1743.JPG

IMG_1775.JPG
IMG_1767.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom