Builds FitzJ60 1983 FJ60 Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does it have the factory locker?

It doesn't, locally I've been looking for awhile and haven't seen any come up locked. Most that I have seem to want to sell them as a pair.

Planning on using Harrop e lockers at some point down the road.

Me too. Just read the whole thing. Well done.

I'm in Issaquah WA, BTW. 85 FJ60, with a 1HZ sitting on a pallet in my garage :D

Thanks for the read. I have a lot of slow progress to make. I would love to check out that motor! You doing the swap? I think @Kleatus may have made mention of a guy near him doing a 1HZ swap in his neck of the woods. We should get you on the next trip.

Started the axle breakdown. Looks like the PO ran ATF in the housing. Had TorFab give the 3rd a look over and they thought it was in good shape. Have the axle re-buil parts on order and started in on grinding off the suspension mounting brackets.

IMG_5495.JPG

IMG_5493.JPG

Parts are in for the rear axle. Need a little more research on the swaybar attachment.

In other news planing on SAS this year, so trying to get the axle, transfer case with low gears and h55 in my June.

Even at my snails pace I should be able to get that done.

IMG_5599.JPG

Also ordered a could LEDs to try and get the rear defrost button to light back up again.

IMG_5670.JPG

Left is the OEM and incandescent bulb, right is the replacement LED. You end up using the OEM plastic housing and swap the bulbs.

IMG_5672.JPG

Straighten the wires out and switch out the LED. You'll need two bulbs per button. I've picked up a few of these to re-label and use as switches to run accessories down the line.

NeO3-NWHP natural White superbrightleds.com

IMG_5677.JPG

Sh!t is happening.

285/75R17 BFG KO2's ordered.

And below... 3:1 Sumo gears and Split case rebuild kit, also TorFabs crossmember bracket that they use for motor swaps.

Question will be.. do I stick with 3.70's and the 7% reduction from the 3:1 trans gears (3.95)

Or swap in 4:10 / 4:11's with the 7% reduction (4.38)

The 285's are a tall 33/34

I'll crunch the numbers RPM/Speed and Crawl ratios and post them up in the next couple days.

Still need to clean up the transfer case and convert the 38mm vac to manual, also thinking of running Georg's twin stick kit.

IMG_5870.JPG

IMG_5857.JPG

Sh!t is happening.

285/75R17 BFG KO2's ordered.

And below... 3:1 Sumo gears and Split case rebuild kit, also TorFabs crossmember bracket that they use for motor swaps.

Question will be.. do I stick with 3.70's and the 7% reduction from the 3:1 trans gears (3.95)

Or swap in 4:10 / 4:11's with the 7% reduction (4.38)

The 285's are a tall 33/34

I'll crunch the numbers RPM/Speed and Crawl ratios and post them up in the next couple days.

Still need to clean up the transfer case and convert the 38mm vac to manual, also thinking of running Georg's twin stick kit.

View attachment 1619044

View attachment 1619045
Dave, looking forward to seeing your progress. This will be a sweet setup. We are going to do the gear reduction to my sons @mcguirejohnson t-case. He’s had the parts for a while so we just need to get er done :).

Why would you get 3:1 instead of 4:1? I didn’t even know they made them in 3:1.

3:1 was $675, vs 4:1 at $1k.

Figured i'd very rarely use that deep of gearing for what I'm building the rig for. Cost difference will help me move the project forward.

Down the line, if I'm looking at additional gearing I think I'd look at the Toybox (if they bring it back) and Blackbox for the versatility in gearing though I'm not really building this with the intent of hardcore wheeling as much as very capable expo/overlanding.

@cruisermatt and input on what you think ideal gearing would be? I think your build is kinda in the same direction that I'm trying to go.

I’d recommend the 3.70’s. With 4.11’s and the overdrive you are pretty much cancelling out the H55f’s overdrive completely.

Early 60 bumper mounts in great shape. Getting ready for a SR. hope this will balance out my stink bug.

Hope to get the 80 rear axle perches set today with the help of @Kleatus.

I don't have the whole thing re-built yet so it will be just to get perches welded in then finish the re-build at my place. (Might be time to get a welder)

IMG_5998.JPG

IMG_6078.JPG

IMG_5999.JPG

IMG_6079.JPG

IMG_6043.JPG

Picked this up last week! Excited to find one. Thanks @Ian Crawford

I like mine. If I remember correctly you have to drill some holes in the top of the door and slice the inside weatherstrip. Let me know if you have any questions when you get around to the install.

IMG_6081.JPG
IMG_6082.JPG

New shoes. 285/75R17

IMG_6083.JPG

5 tires and a 80 rear axle fit, took a little Tertris to get right though.

IMG_6084.JPG

Out with the old. In with the new with @Kleatus at the #HausofKlaus (glimpses of Patches in the garage)

136696DD-3560-41F2-9C0E-E799B77A4E2D.jpg

Late night welding on the 80 rear axle.

Popped over at 5pm and we stopped at about 1:30am, couch surfed till the AM.

Now that the perches are welded in place, I need to get the rest of the axle re-built and the brake lines plumbed.

IMG_6088.JPG

#HausofKlaus coffee in bed (when you make it)

IMG_6104.JPG

@Kleatus does have some nice touches when you bring your rig over. Simple dash reminders are thoughtful and hand written.

IMG_6109.JPG

On the departure the dang window fell off the regulator.

IMG_6130.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom