Techstream (Confused) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry to start a new thread, but I'm confused as heck. I'd like to know a few things.

1) Can you read trouble codes, AHC pressures, and other information with just a cable, such as X-Hourse, and a Windows 7 laptop?

2) How do you activate Techstream? I see lots of places to download the software, but it needs a key. The keys that have been provided with the download don't work for me.

3) Can you register a UK version of Techstream for a week in the U.S., and will it work?

I've read so many bits, blogs, and sales pitches, I don't know what is what.

I have a AHC issue, and I don't want to start at the shop.

I have used this site off and on for years, and really appreciate the expertise offered. I'd like to contribute, more, but I can't usually add to what's already available. If I get anything going on my AHC issue, I'll surely feedback.

Right now I have the Slee bypass switch on and the AHC off, so I can get around ok, but without it off, I just hear the whine of the pump and the attempt to get it up to N for several minutes before it settles on L. There's plenty of fluid, no leaks that I can find, and no movement at all. But all of this is another story, because if I can't look at pressures or any other AHC parameters, then I'll have to take it to a shop to learn anything.

My goal is to work on my rig myself, but the computer side of things seem to be outside my pea brains ability to make sense.

Thanks Y'all,

DG

1. No. You need Techstream running. And a windows 7 machine is not a requirement. I've run Techstream on XP, Win 7, Win 8 and now Win 10. The difficulty is usually centered around getting a knockoff cable to work.
2. Don't know where you are downloading from, but there are multiple versions, frequently with different methods of patching. But if you have the patch mechanism that corresponds with the software's version it should work. Consider buying the cable with software from the same source, i.e., Amazon
3. Can't say for sure, but it should. You may have to disable any wifi or internet connection - to keep it from reaching out and finding where it's located. Example, not sure when it started but the v12 versions, if registering in the US, definitely try to connect over the internet.

@LBridges where did get and which cable do you have?

My cable & software is a pain. I've no key and can only run in evaluation mode. After a short period of time evaluation mode stops working and I must reinstall. Additionally I can only run on XP. This is just too time consuming and makes it unreliable.

Go to:
C:\Program Files\Toyota Diagnostics\Techstream\Env\IT3System.ini
Change the following:
TISFunction=1 to TISFunction=0
Save.

Go to:
C:\Program Files\Toyota Diagnostics\Techstream\Env\IT3System.ini
Change the following:
TISFunction=1 to TISFunction=0
Save.
I'll give a try. Thanks!

you would change change the location under setup but it may not work correctly. we had an issue with it at work where it would default to us corporate instead of us dealer1 and it was causing connection issues.

i dont see why it wouldnt work as a uk version if your just using it for data list and checking codes. if you were active testing than that may be a problem due to different options

@cwmoser
Ok so I reinstall the GTS_10.00.028_NDSI application. I then installed the MVCI Driver for Toyota, which I don't recall doing before.
002.JPG
003.JPG

I then opened the program and notice I no longer had all blue button, as on previous installs.
004.JPG

I've not hooked up to cable yet, but it did not go into log asking for key. Just when straight to looking for cable, so I'm hopeful.
005.JPG

Then went into program as you recommended and found it was already set to "=0" as you suggested. I'm guessing the MCVI Driver took care of changing =1 to =0.
006.JPG

BTW:
I did try and install the high number application. But it froze my CPU and I had to hard boot out, then start over. Seem I had this installed before but I'm not really sure, as I've gone in and out messing with this so many times.

Any idea why this wouldn't install and does it offer more features I may need or want?
Freezes CPU when  I try to install (1).JPG
Freezes CPU when  I try to install (2).JPG

@2001LC - you don't mention the replacement of the file mainmenu.exe or the use of a serial number.

I don't have the software for the version you installed, but I previously ran 10.30.029 and it required both of these to work. If you don't have them send me a PM and I'll see what I can find/setup to help.

Also (just in case), I didn't see a mention of going into setup and changing the interface cable to reflect your installation (it defaults to the "official" cable).

2001LC, did TechStream connect to your LX/LC?

Just buy a proven cable from a proven seller. I installed mine without a hitch, plugged it in and everything works. Costs more but what's your time worth? Original Mini VCI Diagnostic Cable OBD for Toyota Lexus TIS Techstream fw 2.0.4 | eBay

I bought the cheapest cable I could find on Amazon (20$) and spend several hours following the various instructions online for making the knockoffs work with 64 bit windows. I ultimately decided a better use of my time was setting up a windows XP virtual machine and just using that.

If you plan on doing a lot with it, just buy the legit cable and don't spend time screwing around with drivers.

@2001LC - you don't mention the replacement of the file mainmenu.exe or the use of a serial number.

I don't have the software for the version you installed, but I previously ran 10.30.029 and it required both of these to work. If you don't have them send me a PM and I'll see what I can find/setup to help.

Also (just in case), I didn't see a mention of going into setup and changing the interface cable to reflect your installation (it defaults to the "official" cable).
I did not change anything or install anything else. Other than the GTS_10.00.028_NDSI, MVCI Driver for Toyota and checked to see that "=1 was =0".
2001LC, did TechStream connect to your LX/LC?

It did connect, on my last install and I was driving while connected. But it keep dropping connection. I pulled over and then smelt a burning smell just as I did. Found my battery light on notebook flashing failure. Notebook still worked connect to my invert for power, but I could not get reconnected to the MINI VCI cable.

I've now gone into file menu with techstream program open: Setup/VIM Select and selected "XHorse - MVCI". But have not yet tested.

I did not mention or do: "you don't mention the replacement of the file mainmenu.exe or the use of a serial number."
I'm Not sure what this (mainmenu.exe) refers to, nor does program ask for serial number any longer nor do I have a serial number to use if it did. On previous install it would ask for key, but not any longer. I think because of the "MVCI Driver for Toyota" install I did this time.

Last edited:
Sorry for hijacking the thread OP, hope this stuff helps.

Ok so a member just PM me something very interesting, I would have never considered. Although I was skeptical of my notebook since battery failure during test, but connected to inverter I thought should work fine. Here is what he said:

"Paul
Just read your note on Techstream dropping/not connecting when your laptop is running off inverter power. Mine did exactly the same thing - works perfectly on mains power in garage or with laptop on battery but fails to connect properly when powered via an inverter. This is due to commonality between the vehicle’s signal ground and chassis ground, the inverter and the earth Pin on the laptops power cable. Basically the setup no longer sees a differential in potentials between the ECU signal ground and it “floats” and you get what’s referred to as a “ground loop”. The minVCI should carry a disclaimer stating not to attempt connection unless the laptop is on its internal battery or an isolated power supply. ".

My notebook uses an outside power block (adapter) which I connect to invert. So wouldn't think notebook would not know the difference. But I was able to connecting intermittently until battery light came on. Could be notebook runs off battery, which was just being charged. Then when battery power to fail too low or failed it switch power from adapter ground direct to notebook bypassing battery altogether. Possible the ground loop keep kicking me off, switch back and forth between battery / notebook. That this caused and internal fault in battery of notebook. The code the note battery is one I've not seen before, so had to look up. It states it's a temp fault, but it will not go back to normal.

I would love a Toyota scanner with instruction manual, just not the cost.

Sometimes dealing with tools is so time consuming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom