Would You Buy a Diesel 200? (1 Viewer)

Would a diesel option for the NA200 succeed?

• We'd all be at the dealership in the morning. It would be a hit.

Votes: 46 56.8%
  • I would definitely buy one, but I'm not so sure it would work.

Votes: 19 23.5%
  • It almost certainly would never work in the NA market.

Votes: 16 19.8%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So for you the 80 sucks on the hiway?

Fair enough.

That is a pretty classic strawman argument.

Most vehicles are pretty good on straight highways with good pavement.

The differences show up on bad pavement and twisting roads. I’m sure that Toyota does a good job at building vehicles with a solid front axle, just as they do with solid rear axles. But fundamentally, you can’t get around the problem of unsprung weight — that is just physics. Which is why except for a couple niche vehicles and heavy duty pickups, most all cars and light trucks have independent front suspension.

Are Colt MKIV Series 80 1911s OK? I'm an 80 guy all the way around:)

IFS has all kinds of benefits and without a doubt a better ride. I just wish the SFA option was still out there for old guys like me that are fond of buckboards. :)

Are Colt MKIV Series 80 1911s OK? I'm an 80 guy all the way around:)

IFS has all kinds of benefits and without a doubt a better ride. I just wish the SFA option was still out there for old guys like me that are fond of buckboards. :)

I have a Delta Elite that is a Series 80. From what I understand, it takes a gunsmith more work to get a decent trigger on an 80 than a 70. If you are looking for a competition gun with a 2 lb trigger, you probably want to start with a 70.

In general, though, I think you pay for the name with Colt. If you are looking for a barebones 1911 to have a gunsmith build a gun, you might be better off starting with a Ruger or Springfield, or even just a bare frame from Caspian. If you want a high-end gun, then a Wilson or maybe Ed Brown. If you want a gun for USPSA, then an STI or full custom from a place like Brazos.

Yeah, I get the desire for more options here in the US on the hardcore off-road side. Sadly Wrangler seems to have the market pretty well locked up.

Last edited:
Is the wrangler pickup truck convertible 4 door confirmed ?

The 4-door pickup is confirmed. Dunno about a convertible.

Unfortunately, adding a bed onto a 4-door Wrangler results in a very long rig.

Unnecessarily large/long vehicles don't seem to bother people. There are the StretchMyTruck brodozers here in Utah who do long bed Megacabs and six door short bed conversions. Just big, dumb, limo trucks that serve nearly no purpose besides an attempt at compensation. If they make a four door Jeep with a bed they'll sell like hotcakes. I promise you.

It’s not just Toyota, though. I can’t think of any other manufacturer that is really trying to go after the Wrangler market either. Original Broncos, FJ4xs, Cornbinders...all gone. Nothing back filled them. I guess the Samurai tried for a bit. Defenders hung in there for quite some time, too.

It’s not just Toyota, though. I can’t think of any other manufacturer that is really trying to go after the Wrangler market either. Original Broncos, FJ4xs, Cornbinders...all gone. Nothing back filled them. I guess the Samurai tried for a bit. Defenders hung in there for quite some time, too.

Isuzu Amigo also.

The fact is the Jeep is more than just a vehicle, it's a part of the American culture. It's hard to compete against that.

Isuzu Amigo also.

The fact is the Jeep is more than just a vehicle, it's a part of the American culture. It's hard to compete against that.

I agree, but to me, the niche market is ripe for competition. Jeep quality has been on a steady decline, but sales are increasing. Aftermarket support for 4runners is high, and a modern fj40 I am sure would quickly have a ton of mod support. There is no true competitior for the Wrangler.

I know Toyota is worried about rollover lawsuits, and it is a valid concern that Jeep had has overcome with the current wrangler. A 40 w a slightly wider stance would quell much of those fears. I know it won't ever be a market focus for Toyota, and it is a shame. The FJ Cruiser was a huge miss IMO.

I agree, but to me, the niche market is ripe for competition. Jeep quality has been on a steady decline, but sales are increasing. Aftermarket support for 4runners is high, and a modern fj40 I am sure would quickly have a ton of mod support. There is no true competitior for the Wrangler.

I know Toyota is worried about rollover lawsuits, and it is a valid concern that Jeep had has overcome with the current wrangler. A 40 w a slightly wider stance would quell much of those fears. I know it won't ever be a market focus for Toyota, and it is a shame. The FJ Cruiser was a huge miss IMO.

I don't foresee a large amount of jeep buyers cross shopping a 70 series. Toyota doesn't make a comparable jeep competition.

I don't foresee a large amount of jeep buyers cross shopping a 70 series. Toyota doesn't make a comparable jeep competition.

May be true, and while I would love a 70 in the US, I was referencing a modern 40...

Unnecessarily large/long vehicles don't seem to bother people. There are the StretchMyTruck brodozers here in Utah who do long bed Megacabs and six door short bed conversions. Just big, dumb, limo trucks that serve nearly no purpose besides an attempt at compensation. If they make a four door Jeep with a bed they'll sell like hotcakes. I promise you.

Agreed. Look at all the “light-duty” pickups that now have beds so tall that you need a ladder just to reach into the fricking bed...

To my above comment, I’d add the note that very capable Quads and Gators really took over a lot of the actual requirements for those vehicles.

I put the below on another thread...meant to put it here. Jives with what Beno was saying....

“Jack Hollis, the sales chief of Toyota’s U.S. division, sat down with Trucks.com to discuss the future of the pickup market”.
“Will there ever be a diesel engine option for Tundra?

There is definitely consideration. We're considering it for more than just Tundra and Tacoma. At this point, there has not been a finalized plan to go forward, but diesel is definitely an option that we are considering for implementation on multiple products.”

https://www.trucks.com/2018/01/19/toyota-sales-chief-talks-tacoma-tundra/

So I played dump truck this past weekend hauling loads of dirt to make room for a partially inset swim spa. Definitely pushed the boundaries of this platform with the amount of load I was moving. Hydraulic dump trailer was rated for 9900 GVWR. I was likely above that for a couple loads as we filled it pretty full. You know you're heavy when having to be S3 just to cruise down the highway at 55mpg. My travel trailer is 7500 lbs loaded with much more frontal area and I can comfortably cruise down the highway at 65mpg in S4. So this was HEAVY.

Diesel might have given me better gas mileage as I was at 8.8mpg. I would have appreciated the gearing of the newer 8 speeds in this overloaded case. But the 5.7L still proved it's worth hauling up some serious 6% grades. I was able to accelerate when I needed to, but I was
keeping it safe at 50mph.

lxdump.jpg

Since Toyota recently announced they are pulling diesel cars out of Europe, I wonder if they aren’t reconsidering any potential plans here. A diesel Prado would be nice. No way I could see that as Lexus branded (GX). Pipe dream...

Any updates?

Suspect at this point from things I’ve heard. Things to do with R&D budgets and who would bear the cost between engine and platform divisions, etc. Bean counter sheeeeat.

I’d give it a 30% of happening.

But who gives a sheeeee-it: Toyota gave us a TRD snorkel. Everyone should be frothing about how awesome a TRD snorkel is. Every bro worth his bro-ness will be on that in a heartbeat.

Speaking of the Titan. It's an interesting case study that diesel is not always a great answer, even one with 310 hp and 555 lb-ft torque.

The Diesel Titan XD has generally gotten really bad marks, with Car and Driver saying "most disappointing new vehicles we've evaluated." For lackluster acceleration (9.4 seconds to 60 mph, unladen), ponderous motions, questionable reliability issues (injector, EGR, DEF system), thirst for DEF, and expensive maintenance.

- The 5.8L gas Titan XD, has a lower tow rating, but 500lb HIGHER payload rating on account of its engine being lighter
- Gas Titan XD is WAY quicker - 0 to 60 mph in 7.4 seconds (vs 9.4sec) , and quarter-mile in 15.8 seconds (vs 17 sec)
- TFL IKE Guantlet towing test - Diesel was 46 seconds slower!!, towing same load.

Because weight. And horsepower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom