Engine Crank Handle mounting location FJ40 ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found an engine crank handle from @Tancruiser. Super happy to land one of those. Where did the crank handles mount in the ‘66 FJ40’s? Where is the correct location? Thanks for the help

-Jason

US market did not get the crank handle in 66. On the FJ25 it was mounted on the left rear wheel well. The angled part of the handle was at the front and dropped down. Two clips on the wheel well and one mounted to the vertical side of tub on the front.

A 66 FJ40 uses 3 spring steel clips to hold the starting handle. These can be difficult to find since they did not come with US models. Similar clips were used in FJ45s, although these clips are riveted to a mount.

From the Jack Reference thread, post #96, Jack Rod/Starting Handle Brackets:

There are 3 starting handle clips, 2 on the left rear wheel well, and one front clip. The front clip is located on the floor just in front of the wheel well.

Early FJ40s use the same starting handle clips as the FJ25, the large clip with offset mounting holes. Originally body color.

Starting in 1966, FJ40s use starting handle clips made from spring steel, part number 74741-90301, SPRING, STARTING HANDLE SUPPORT. Originally unpainted. The mounting holes are in-line. (Landwrecker)
full

For markets where the starting handle was not provided, the starting handle clips are not installed, the small cross-head mounting screws are used to fill the holes. (Landwrecker)
full

Photo Jan 15, 10 31 02 PM.jpg

IMG_1827.JPG

late model 40 clips 3.jpg

Excellent info. Now I’m on a mission for the (3) clips. :). (Good luck, I know).

Jason-

These crank tool clips are much larger than the small tool clips. If anyone find a close replacement source please post. Need 3. Thanks

For markets where the starting handle was not provided, the starting handle clips are not installed, the small cross-head mounting screws are used to fill the holes. (Landwrecker)

Thought this had been discussed before. From the early sixties on none of my FJ40s have the threaded holes with screws. A number of them still have original paint. My 68 owned since 74 and while it doesn't the original paint anymore it did when I bought, no repairs or hole were filled. Would thing it was possible Toyota switched from the intended market and got sent or at change over on the line to the US market a few had the threaded holes but from what I've seen we didn't get them here.

Here is one from a US import FJ25. You can see the lower clip attached to the side of the tub not the floor.

IMG_0872.JPG
IMG_0873.JPG

They were there :(. I put in new wheel wells. Great research @wscbill and thank you for the help. Any clue where to fine these clips? Needle in haystack I suppose.

Jason-

My 66 also has those screws. The clips appear to be the same as the ones used in LVs under the spare tire.

Original paint 77. Have the screws. Always thought a PO put them in for some reason.

IMG_20171217_134327524.jpg
IMG_20171217_134403375.jpg
IMG_20171217_134408771.jpg

Ed I think the answer to your question can be found in this thread.

US market did not get the crank handle in 66. ..............

A 66 FJ40 uses 3 spring steel clips to hold the starting handle. These can be difficult to find since they did not come with US models. .......
Early FJ40s use the same starting handle clips as the FJ25......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom