can anyone tell me why this truck is so cheap....? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi everyone, I purchased this truck. It's in my garage safely after an adventurous drive home. I suffered two near catastrophic tire blow outs. The first passenger rear tire went flat in Wilks-Barre, PA, and then 7 hours later, the driver rear tire, just 25 miles from home. I let my dear neighbors know that I was back in town at 4:30 am this morning with clanking chains and flashing tow truck lights. 'Tis the season, right?

All four tires are near-full tread Michelin Alpin with a manufacture date of 2011. The truck has split wheels with inner tubes. I am not sure why the tires went flat. I was not driving over 65mph and they were inflated. I drove almost 18 hours straight, and thought perhaps the continuous heat was not great for inner tubes? Then again, it was no warmer than 28° F the entire drive. Any hunches welcome. I am considering the original toyota 42601-60262-03 wheel and BFG AT KO/2s 235 85 16 as replacements.

Thanks to a number of folks in the Land Cruiser community who helped me consider this and several other 70 series pickups over the last 1.5 years. I looked at several trucks in Europe and even pondered building a 75 from the chassis up. This truck with its low kms has turned out to be nice and more or less all there. The 3b is strong and clean with no leaks. I managed to get about 880km per tank. The driveline looks good. Not sure what's going on with the 4WD. The body has been resprayed and it looks good. It isn't ready for concours d'elegance, but it is just fine. I am sure I will come to understand its former condition over the next several years if/when any rust comes through. Truck included all service records from new, and again, it has 67,000km.

Really glad to be here.

Here you can see how the tire looked after I drove it ca .8 mi to a place with a shoulder. And, the truck before a wash.

Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 17.42.59.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 17.42.42.png

I drove almost 18 hours straight, and thought perhaps the continuous heat was not great for inner tubes? Then again, it was no warmer than 28° F

I driven all day in temps reaching 45c on split rims. They do run hotter than normal tyre but that is not the cause of your problem. You most likely had tubes that were on their last legs. There could also be rust flaking off the inside of the rim and the rubbing has cause them to rip open. They do not make high quality tubes anymore.
Do yourself a favour, turn the split rims into boat moorings and get something modern. 60 series rims will fit.

Where those tyres tubeless radials I'm thinking they overheated because they had tubes in them.
The ultimate low K pick up. Nice score
My hj75 is 32 years old with 479.000 K and I hopping to get another 32 years out of the ute before the next rebuild. I just hope my old body can last another 32 years. :)

Splits can handle heat but old tubes are a reason to replace (and I am cheap)
The tires should be fine.
I have a lot of splitrim info from when I bought them, love them:
Split rims 7,50 x 16 splitted - hj60.freeforums.org

replace kit:
-a cheap laser thermometer pen can find heat difference before the tire is visible flat (looking for a system with 4 sensors attached in wheel arch but...)
-valve removal thingy
-talc powder agains rubbing, border cops love it.
-two tire iron (one to press ring, one to lift)
-marker
-tire soap so bush removal is easy
-inflator with long tube so exploding ring can not hit you

file.php

hole form old rubber:
file.php

Another hole form old rubber:
file.php

INNER TUBE FOR 7.50 16 - 75016 - 700 / 750 16 - TR75A VALVE
dutch site, very nice guy: Binnenband 7.00-16 Emrald (TR-75A) | Middelbos Import & Groothandel

french site: 7.00X16 / 7.50X16 TR75A (valve coudée) - Bervas-Pneus

euro 4x4: http://www.euro4x4parts.com/parts/7ca1004_inner_tube_750_16_tr75a.html

file.php

Last edited:
FYI Coker Tire Coker Tire - Buy Vintage Tires and Wheels has all the tube flaps and tubes suited for old vehicles as well as classic tire sizes like the 7.50x16. I have used them and there is nothing wrong with the quality.

Cheers

FYI Coker Tire Coker Tire - Buy Vintage Tires and Wheels has all the tube flaps and tubes suited for old vehicles as well as classic tire sizes like the 7.50x16. I have used them and there is nothing wrong with the quality.

Cheers
Chattanooga represent!

I ran their stuff in my old Power Wagon with 9x16's for years without a hiccup. Of course at 45 mph heat was hardly an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom