My new to me 1997 Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Orange Hat

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself and show off a new to me vehicle and experience:

1997 Land Cruiser
230,000 miles...gas engine
Completely stock and clean
Forest Green with tan leather

The previous owner took VERY good care of this vehicle for the last 10+ years and had all the service records! I base lined the vehicle with all new fluids and filters and I've put a couple of thousand miles on it already with no issues.

This is my first Land Cruiser and I am hooked! The build quality and driving feel is no comparison to other vehicles of the same vintage (Bronco and OBS Powerstroke in my case). I like this one so much that we're planning on getting a 200 Series within the year so that the "mods" can begin on this one.

My family of four (wife and 2 kids...4 and 7) is interested in getting into overlanding and after much research on this forum, it was a no-brainer to get a Land Cruiser. When the mods begin, I'll be reaching out to everyone here.

2Tglv65.jpg

Congrats! Depending where you are in TX, I recommend LEARN OFF-ROAD | PITTS 4x4 CO. for over landing info, or better yet some 4wd training, great team.

Welcome to the forum.

Very nice Cruiser. Was it always a Texas (Southern vehicle)....meaning little to no rust?

And yes, the build quality is there, even if 20 years old. I've had my 97 for 18 years and still love it.

Thanks for comments already everyone!

Izzyandsue...appreciate the insight with your recommendations, I'll be sure to reach out to them. As for location, we are in the midst of moving from Midland, TX to Dallas, TX (in fact, we move the day after Christmas).

flintknapper...the vehicle did spend some time up North in the Chicago area. There is some rust here/there on the undercarriage but it appears to be surface rust. The previous owner had a mechanic check it out and nothing was compromised or rotted out.

Welcome. Looks like you got yourself a great wagon and you are right about the build quality. I had multiple Range Rovers before I got my Cruiser and the difference is night and day. Don't be shy about baselining it - remember it 20 years young. The 6M1 color was the most popular in the US - ask @LS1FJ40 how he feels about 6M1....

Congrats and welcome!

First on the mod list: paint. Any color other than 6M1 green (or the god awful burgundy).

And before you get offended, my 93 is that same horrific color.

Congrats and welcome!

First on the mod list: paint. Any color other than 6M1 green (or the god awful burgundy).

And before you get offended, my 93 is that same horrific color.

Isn't a green 80 sorta a 'rite of passage' -thing?
(My 450 was green)

Actually, just spraying below the midbelt/trim line in silver made a world of difference for that one guy who intro'ed himself ~2wks ago.

Enough so that it stuck with me should another green 80 find its' way to my driveway.

I like it! Nice find..

:cheers:

Any color other than 6M1 green
Yep, i bought a 6M1 land cruiser, my paint, and clear coat looked great when i bought it. Within a few months my nice paint job went from perfect, to having white patches on it. Sorry to say, nothing i tried on my paint seemed to work to keep that clear coat from forming those chalky patches on my doors, and roof. The only good thing i can say about this happening, i now don't feel so bad about adding some desert pin stripping.

Mine's Green and I hated it! There were plans and discussions about changing the colour, then once I started off roading and trawling through the gnarly undergrowth that covers Spain's countryside, and watching the paint getting scratched to buggery I just let go of colour change thoughts.

When polished up it don't look too bad, then around comes the weekend and it gets roughed up again.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Isn't a green 80 sorta a 'rite of passage' -thing?
(My 450 was green)

Actually, just spraying below the midbelt/trim line in silver made a world of difference for that one guy who intro'ed himself ~2wks ago.

Enough so that it stuck with me should another green 80 find its' way to my driveway.

They actually made a 6M1 with Moonglow pearl bottom from the factory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom