Please recommend a good tire.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have stock rims on my Landcruiser and I'm getting ready to buy tires I just wanted to know what you guys thought. I don't plan on off-roading anytime too soon but I want something that will allow me to drive in the ice and snow in Colorado. But that would handle some mild off road action. Not looking specifically for a winter tire.

I’ve run BFG A/T’s & Duratracs so far. A/T’s might be more up your alley between those two that I have experience with. But there are a number of newer designs I would consider as well. Look up “A/T 3” and you might find some more designs I would now seriously consider like the Coopers.

I got a heck of a deal on some Falken Wildpeak A/T3W they are pretty quiet and mud and snow rated. I don't have enough miles on them to make a solid recommend but I got them for 1/2 of what they wanted for a set of BFG KO2 which I know you can't go wrong with.
I have run a set of Coope S/T MAXX on an F250 and they have been great but they are heavy and expensive and I didn't want them on the LX.

I have personal experience with the top three tires, the 2nd from the top are whats on my truck now, not a bad tire but I prefer the other two, I did not buy whats on my truck, it came with them.
The LTX M/S and the M/S2 (newest version) are GREAT all around tires, had the M/S on the Land Rover and it went anywhere I pointed it.
After they weather checked and started leaking I bought Cooper Discoverer S/T's which are also a excellent choice but noisier than the Michelins.
The M/S2 are on my wifes van, great tire for rain, ice, snow and of course dry roads.

Truck Tires, Car Tires and more – Michelin Tires

If you're not going for looks but all around do everything well the M/S is your best bet, and there is always a $70 rebate on them.

Tires are always a hot topic for debate. I personally have had Nitto ATs (just straight up horrible) BFG MTS (horrible on road in snow/ice), BFG ATs (good all rounders) and now have ST Maxxs (love them!). For your use, I’d agree that the Cooper AT3 or ATP would be a good choice. They’ll be less money than the BFGs, but better than Michelin’s in the snow and off road.

I have been doing a lot of reading on this type of tire, I have the AT3’s fitted and not that happy with them. First thing is that the tire shop didn’t fit the LT version and I find the standard tire has to much movement in the side walls, I run 38psi to help this. Second thing is that snow and ice isn’t that good either, plus mine are a nightmare to balance. I get my shop to rotate and balance them every 5k. After some research I think the K02’s would suit me better.

Now, my opinion above depends greatly on where you live as I live in Wales UK, the roads here are tight and twisty will a lot of hills so the land cruiser isn’t best suited due to is size and weight. I need a tire that is good around corners and can allow me to stop on downhills on snow/ice comfortably which they don’t, I can manage but it means your going to be driving real slow. On the open roads across the south of the country where I work they are good on tarmac and snow as you don’t rely on them as much due to being able to see the road ahead, there are less hills and the corners are more open. I have never had a complaint about them Offroad.

It is a playground here if you own a Subaru, maybe I just want to much from a near 3 tonne truck. It takes me a extra 1 hr to drive south to north of the country(4 instead of 3) compared to my Subaru but I am learning to relax and forget that I am the one always at the front of the convoy holding everyone up.

I will be putting K02’s on soon, that would give me a more accurate opinion as I would have a comparison to make.

There is normally some compromise to be had though. I would love to try the ST Maxx but I am not brave enough, I think they might be to aggressive and noisy for my work travel.

I'm running Kumho Road Venture AT51 and I like them quite a bit. A little loud when new, but not bad. For the price, I think they're a good deal.

Nitto Terra Grapplers

When my OE Michelin LTXs wore out, I put on Toyo Open Country LT275/70 18 A/T. They have been
a good all round tire and relatively quiet on the highway.
IMG_0337.jpg

I have stock rims on my Landcruiser and I'm getting ready to buy tires I just wanted to know what you guys thought. I don't plan on off-roading anytime too soon but I want something that will allow me to drive in the ice and snow in Colorado. But that would handle some mild off road action. Not looking specifically for a winter tire.
Two options:
BFG A/T ko2 or Michelin LTX.

The best would be to run two sets of wheels, one with a dedicated tire for snow and ice, and one set for warm weather tarmac and mild offroad. The best tires for ice and snow, would be the worst for hot tarmac or mud, and vice versa. But, as you want an all-around tire, you'll have to compromise. But, I must say, the two mentioned above are really good enough in all your driving conditions, and a few more. Just go really slow on ice.

My experience with Michelin tires is that they are Expensive, Last Longer, and Smoother Riding.
If it wasn't for the "Expensive" attribute, I think they might be the only game in town :)

My experience with Michelin tires is that they are Expensive, Last Longer, and Smoother Riding.
If it wasn't for the "Expensive" attribute, I think they might be the only game in town :)

Are you talking about tires or Land Cruisers?
Expensive-check
Last's longer-check
Smoother ride-check

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom