Builds Doc's 1978 FJ40 Rebuild (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, I don't qualify as an expert either, but since my Tacoma and FJ Cruiser already have the red stuff, I bought a jug of that from local dealer ($$$!!). When I replaced the radiator in Zeke, I used Prestone. Now that I've got Zack, might as well stay with the Gatorade!:meh:

I always used Prestone until someone said the red stuff was better, but, never had any issues with the Gatorade. Congrats Dave on the Rock Auto story! Blue is looking good!

I guess I'll throw my .02 in., a friend of mine gave me some that they use on their compressors. Its a pinkish or redish color, I hate that stuff. I have no idea what brand it is, but I'll never use it again. Put a couple gallons in the winch truck, I don't know if it was because I didn't get all the prestone out of it or what. I had blown a hose and I jerry rigged it to get me by, 3 or 4 months later it looked like mud. I like the green stuff.

Last edited:
I guess I'll throw my .02 in., a friend of mine gave me some that they use on their compressors. Its a pinkish or redish color, I hate that stuff. I have no idea what brand it is, but I'll never use it again. Put a couple gallons in the winch truck, I don't know if it was because I didn't get all the preston out of it or what. I had blown a hose and I jerry rigged it to get me by, 3 or 4 months later it looked like mud. I like the green stuff.

Can’t argue with a man that probably rebuilds engines blindfolded :D

I worked at a Toyota dealership, a few lifetimes ago, and we used the OEM toyota coolant. It was sometimes green then red and sometimes blue. They told us it was the same, just a different color.

I would have liked the red better with your blue 40.:grinpimp:

I've used the Prestone, or equivalent, from as far back as I can remember. It is as good as any other stuff. I had the brown stuff that GM used in my Astro van. It worked as good as the Prestone gatorade, but always looked like mud. The temps here only go down into the 20's maybe once a year. At the end of the summer the radiator started leaking, cracked plastic tank, so with the new radiator I flushed it real good multiple times and went with the gatorade since it is real easy to see when it is compromised.

Don

Who knew that antifreeze was so controversial. . . :hmm:

Reminds me of the dealer that I occasionally get tractor parts from. They are dead set on convincing you that their brand of hydraulic oil is the only acceptable/compatible option for their machines. Never mind that their hydraulic components are off the shelf Peerless/Sundstrand pumps, motors, and axles purchased from elsewhere. . . used by many other companies for other applications. I asked about other oil that was compatible with those systems and the counter man pushed the idea aside in favor of his superior product. It comes in a nonspecific, white three gallon bucket (or quart container) at an outrageous price compared to alternatives. I imagine there is a guy in the back somewhere pumping generic oil from a 55 gallon drum into these special pails.

Toyota may have some proprietary ingredients/technology in their formula and if I bought a new vehicle I would use it -- but as I mentioned earlier my warranty has long since expired so I will chance the green stuff.

Not sure how well you can see it, but the road crews have started spraying their liquid deicer on the roads. (See the white stripes?)

IMG_6811.JPG

I hate the liquid deicer. I grew up driving on winter roads with cinders applied for traction (acceptable). Eventually we graduated to a salt spreading community and that was bad enough. . . now this corrosive liquid seems to be the norm. I have seen a drastic increase in the rusting of my and other vehicles with the liquid stuff even with washing/trying to keep things clean.

With that, the time has come to give the 40 some rest and tuck it in.

IMG_6812.JPG

Apologies for the wrinkles and uneven coverage -- it is a clearance Wallyworld car cover after all.

I will still be waking the 40 up from time to time. One or two minor projects need done and I will eventually need to rehome it from the workshop. No road trips for awhile though. Time seems to pass more quickly the older I get. . . so luckily spring should be here before I know it!

Who knew that antifreeze was so controversial. . . :hmm:

Reminds me of the dealer that I occasionally get tractor parts from. They are dead set on convincing you that their brand of hydraulic oil is the only acceptable/compatible option for their machines. Never mind that their hydraulic components are off the shelf Peerless/Sundstrand pumps, motors, and axles purchased from elsewhere. . . used by many other companies for other applications. I asked about other oil that was compatible with those systems and the counter man pushed the idea aside in favor of his superior product. It comes in a nonspecific, white three gallon bucket (or quart container) at an outrageous price compared to alternatives. I imagine there is a guy in the back somewhere pumping generic oil from a 55 gallon drum into these special pails.

Toyota may have some proprietary ingredients/technology in their formula and if I bought a new vehicle I would use it -- but as I mentioned earlier my warranty has long since expired so I will chance the green stuff.

Not sure how well you can see it, but the road crews have started spraying their liquid deicer on the roads. (See the white stripes?)

View attachment 1589393

I hate the liquid deicer. I grew up driving on winter roads with cinders applied for traction (acceptable). Eventually we graduated to a salt spreading community and that was bad enough. . . now this corrosive liquid seems to be the norm. I have seen a drastic increase in the rusting of my and other vehicles with the liquid stuff even with washing/trying to keep things clean.

With that, the time has come to give the 40 some rest and tuck it in.

View attachment 1589414

Apologies for the wrinkles and uneven coverage -- it is a clearance Wallyworld car cover after all.

I will still be waking the 40 up from time to time. One or two minor projects need done and I will eventually need to rehome it from the workshop. No road trips for awhile though. Time seems to pass more quickly the older I get. . . so luckily spring should be here before I know it!

We have it down here as well. Got almost 2 inches of snow last night when I measured. Roads treated. The township doesn't hit the back roads too well which is all the same to me with my full size truck and wife with the suv.

The brine solutions they put down to pre-treat and treat roads is liquid caustic. I can only imagine what that stuff does to the older body FJ40's. It destroys current vehicles badly and they have had 30 years to improve metallurgy and coatings and it still eats frames break lines and body panels quickly.

Yep its all white here too. Lots of salt on the road and life comes to a full stop like no one has ever seen snow before.
I even had to clear the entrance of my shop, after my wife finaly let me go.
Give the 40 some nice warm down time and it will be there for you in spring.

You know when she starts in the morning with “what are your plans for today?”. This is code for what are you going to do for/with me.

I cannot tell you how many times I've heard those words. . . . those exact words! :rofl:

Today it has resulted in us heading out for a shopping trip. She is worth it though -- we have our ups and downs but definitely more ups as far as I am concerned. Hate to make this a social media post but today happens to be our Anniversary -- funny thing is we both sort of forgot until this morning.

Tried taking a family picture a couple weeks back but the dogs were more interested in going for their walk. . .

5J5A0055.JPG

This was the best picture of the half a dozen I tried to take. She hates it when I wear a ball cap -- give me a lollipop and I look like a freakishly tall 12 year old. It was hunting season and I drug out whatever brightly colored clothes I could find.

Happy Anniversary Mrs. TractorDoc!
I doubt she will actually read this -- she hates having her picture taken and I will never hear the end of it if she finds out Ive posted on the web. I will take the chance and sleep lightly the next couple nights. . .

I cannot tell you how many times I've heard those words. . . . those exact words! :rofl:

Today it has resulted in us heading out for a shopping trip. She is worth it though -- we have our ups and downs but definitely more ups as far as I am concerned. Hate to make this a social media post but today happens to be our Anniversary -- funny thing is we both sort of forgot until this morning.

Tried taking a family picture a couple weeks back but the dogs were more interested in going for their walk. . .

View attachment 1592354

This was the best picture of the half a dozen I tried to take. She hates it when I wear a ball cap -- give me a lollipop and I look like a freakishly tall 12 year old. It was hunting season and I drug out whatever brightly colored clothes I could find.

Happy Anniversary Mrs. TractorDoc!
I doubt she will actually read this -- she hates having her picture taken and I will never hear the end of it if she finds out Ive posted on the web. I will take the chance and sleep lightly the next couple nights. . .
Happy anniversary for the both of you. Enjoy your shopping.:rofl:
I got a new one when I left for my trip, you better get me a great gift, which is code for don’t bother to come back empty handed or it will take twice the amount to make up for it.
Somehowe we always have to pay for having a hobby or working a lot. Even if it is their hobby or work..........

That's great Doc, Happy Anniversary!

I will chime in here also,---HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!

Don

ps---how many does that make, or should I ask? Don't worry, I'll keep it a secret.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom