HDJ81 Buyers Guide (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@SteveJackson and @sailor, let's get back on topic. It's a buyers guide not whether or not someone sells the best cruisers.

Ps. In my opinion the best way to promote your business is to provide sound advice without a sales pitch.

I had a local AC place convert my R12 truck to run 134 and I also replaced the compressor with a new Denso unit from RockAuto in conjunction with a new drier. Whole process was not very expensive and my AC blows ice cold.

For compressor part # I have it posted in a thread somewhere in this section. The compressor assembly with the clutch was ordered for a 1989 FJ62 and was a direct fit on my 1HD-T.

I have to agree with ocd on not to many nice ones left over there anymore kind of one of those not much to little to late missed the boat kind of things. I wouldn't be looking at ones that aren't lockers either. Might want to try looking in bc Canada , prices are better , your dollar buys a lot , more product available , top mechanics means there all maintained, and almost all full lockers. :popcorn:

As the owner of an HDJ81VX, let me share some of my "lessons learned":
Check the "usual suspects"; the big end bearings, the timing belt and water pump. Check for leaks around the sunroof.
One of the "big" issues with my TLC was the aftermarket electronics. Being a JDM from Japan, the install work wasn't bad at all, but there was a lot of it, and some of it (alarm system, for example) was completely shot.
Expect to spend at least $3000 on the tail end of the purchase. You're going to need tires, and if you live in Texas, get prepared to post #metoo when you go to pay the taxes. Don't bother arguing with them that it's a point of sale state.

Between $1200 for KO2's, and $1000 for the taxes, I spent another grand replacing the Air Box (thanks to a good deal from another Mud member) and another $800 getting the sun roof squared away. Beyond that, there will be some nickel and dime items (lights), but if you buy a solid HJ from a reputable dealer, you're not going to be knee deep in a project you can't afford. There are other little headaches, like getting people to realize that the VIN isn't American, but that's small concern if you plan on doing most of your work yourself.

Get familiar with the items that wear on the TLCs. I've had a couple very common problems - presently addressing the "shift lock", and after that, some weepy seals on the turbo intake. Be ready to buy these things from Australia or Japan, but don't hesitate to contact guys like Cruiser Corps, Cruiser brothers, or even Toyota.

Almost to the end, but get ready to get looks and questions *all the time*. I can't leave the driveway without someone taking their camera phone out to get a picture.

I suppose it's worth mentioning that I've got about 7000 miles and almost exactly 1.5 years behind my HDJ. It's not a rock-crawler, but it's been off on a few adventures and holds up great. After purchasing it, I drove it to Toyota for a full service and inspection, because let's face it: any used car comes from Missouri - so show me. It was returned with an astonishingly clean bill of health, and any time I get talking shop with enthusiasts, they're floored by the craftsmanship and cleanliness of the rig.

Finally, Steve doesn't need any help promoting himself, but here's my experience with LandCruisersDirect:

Top notch.

What you aren't seeing in this petty exchange is nearly two years of emails in which Steve answered questions for us about finding the right rig, or him coming in on a Sunday to meet up so we could check his HJ's out. You won't hear that he pointed out every little cracked hose, every blemish or spot of rust, or the fact it didn't have e-lockers.

You won't read here that he stands absolutely by his trucks, because the guys criticizing him don't know that he does. They probably don't have the import paperwork, the odometer certificates, or the port declarations sitting in their office. I do, because Steve gave them to us with the purchase.

Anyone who knows me or my work knows that I'm extremely difficult on reviews. I don't set out to prop people or things up, I set out to establish the room for improvement. I like testing things to failure before I give them my say so.

I hope this acts both as a useful addition to the buyer's guide, as well as an endorsement for an exceptional importer... of whom we talked to three before finally settling on LCD to do our business with.

Cheers,
Aaron

Finally, Steve doesn't need any help promoting himself, but here's my experience with LandCruisersDirect:

Top notch.

What you aren't seeing in this petty exchange is nearly two years of emails in which Steve answered questions for us about finding the right rig, or him coming in on a Sunday to meet up so we could check his HJ's out. You won't hear that he pointed out every little cracked hose, every blemish or spot of rust, or the fact it didn't have e-lockers.

You won't read here that he stands absolutely by his trucks, because the guys criticizing him don't know that he does. They probably don't have the import paperwork, the odometer certificates, or the port declarations sitting in their office. I do, because Steve gave them to us with the purchase.

Anyone who knows me or my work knows that I'm extremely difficult on reviews. I don't set out to prop people or things up, I set out to establish the room for improvement. I like testing things to failure before I give them my say so.

I hope this acts both as a useful addition to the buyer's guide, as well as an endorsement for an exceptional importer... of whom we talked to three before finally settling on LCD to do our business with.

Cheers,
Aaron

Based on reviews like this, I contacted Steve at LCD, even though Im currently in Japan, and asking if he would help ( I offered a finders fee) in locating a quality cruiser over here. Initially we were looking for an HZJ77 but changed over to HDJ81. Initially I got a good feeling he was actually looking based on some emails back and forth, but eventually the emails dropped off and I never heard back. I ventured out on my own and sourced what I think is an impeccable May 1993 HDJ81. Not saying Steve is a bad guy, just my experience never came to fruition. I still may use him when I get back stateside, if he's able, to do his standard inspection on mine since I won't be far away in Oklahoma City. The glowing reviews definitely outnumber the bad.

Not saying Steve is a bad guy, just my experience never came to fruition.

Hi Matt, I'm sorry that we weren't able to find a truck for you and further I apologize for any lack of communication. We stay very busy with focus on our US based inventory and it's not always possible to provide enough time to filling custom orders. To be fair, you had a very narrow and specific build date range that you were looking for so your purchase would work for your planned return to the states. Other projects, some complications with my wife's pregnancy and an unfortunate shop accident consumed the majority of my summer this year. Again I apologize for not communicating that more appropriately.

I still may use him when I get back stateside, if he's able, to do his standard inspection on mine since I won't be far away in Oklahoma City.

That would be great and we'd love to help out with that as well as any assistance in getting the truck back to the states, although I understand the military is very good about handling that sort of thing for returning service members.

Enjoy that beautiful truck!

Based on reviews like this, I contacted Steve at LCD, even though Im currently in Japan, and asking if he would help ( I offered a finders fee) in locating a quality cruiser over here. Initially we were looking for an HZJ77 but changed over to HDJ81. Initially I got a good feeling he was actually looking based on some emails back and forth, but eventually the emails dropped off and I never heard back. I ventured out on my own and sourced what I think is an impeccable May 1993 HDJ81. Not saying Steve is a bad guy, just my experience never came to fruition. I still may use him when I get back stateside, if he's able, to do his standard inspection on mine since I won't be far away in Oklahoma City. The glowing reviews definitely outnumber the bad.

You’re in OKC and have an HDJ?
Drop me a PM if you like. I’m not far from you.

Also, is it easy to tell if the big end bearings have been updated?
Well, Toyota factory FIPG is grey, and that holds the pan on (plus bolts). Toyota FIPG sold to you is black. That was one way I knew my BEBs had not been done. But, they were in good shape in any event. Now I have brand new ones.

I hate to bump an older thread. Aside from all the bickering there wasn't any real valuable insight or information provided in this thread. On a side note Steve, I've contacted you numerous times... via e-mail, Facebook, and left you a voice mail. This was over a span of a few years too.

One of the nicest rigs I ever drove was a customers hdj81 1995 with 1hd-ft, if when looking keep your eye out for late 1992 08 month with tps on fuel pump as this truck has the electrically control transmission. Much more robust than the original full hydraulic units that we often had to have rebuilt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom