What brand battery are we running? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rural King, AGM $129

63443CA9-B1F0-4981-A168-E3FE2953E0FE.jpeg

I always thought optima was the battery to have, but never spent the money for one myself. I generally just get the biggest Walmart I can fit in it.

blue optima - 'cause the cruiser is blue :doh:

No name Semi truck batteries from the local peterbuilt dealer, group 31 pin mounts, they are cheep and the two in my crew cab are 10 years old.... thats 10 years of starting a 5.9 cummins winching cars onto the trailer and general abuse, i have made bigger battery boxes for my tractor, bobcat and fj40 all to run them. If you watch Napa will have them on sale every now and then for about 100$ each...
Over the last 26 years I've gone this route a couple times. The winch works way better than cheaper batteries. They are a far better value than retail batteries.

...I have to re-read everything on here now.... so much info. I could google it but if someone wants to tell me the difference between "deep cycle" and non deep-cycle fee free.

SMG -can you run a battery on its side like that??

I'm still a month away from buying one as I won't be reunited with the truck until next month but CCA will be an issue in Mass so I'm gonna get me lots a that.

Thanks everyone, great stuff. Only Nader mentioned the Die Hard. Because it's a dying breed or were folks not fond of them? I've had a few over the decades and they seemed pretty fine to me. I also have a dual battery tray in my truck and space galore so that's no an issue, at least.

If you run 2 be sure they're the same age, model, etc. Or use an ARC (Blue Sea or similar). I still have a diode isolator... but they're so obsolete it's not funny. I'd toss it if I had money to spare.

If you run 2 be sure they're the same age, model, etc. Or use an ARC (Blue Sea or similar). I still have a diode isolator... but they're so obsolete it's not funny. I'd toss it if I had money to spare.

I don't actually run 2 batteries. I did years ago because I kept having starting problems and they were always dying on me but hasn't been an issue so...just one for now. But thanks for the tip.

I still have an Optima Yellow Top that was in my old white 80 when I bought it in 07. I took it out two years ago and replaced it because I have heard that when an AGM is done, it is way done, and my daughter had it at CMU so I didn't want to chance it. It is a pre Mexico model I think and that battery wont die. I have had it for a spare/backup in my 60, my pontoon, trailer winch, and just starting stuff like a jump box. I love that thing. I hope the quality comes back around.

@sproggy, one of the benefits of a gel "AGM" battery is that it can be mounted at any angle and won't spill. I have an Odyssey in my M416 camp trailer which is completely upside down and the battery is fine with that. Some of the AGM batteries are also rated to absorb small arms fire and still function. If you're worried about that

...I have to re-read everything on here now.... so much info. I could google it but if someone wants to tell me the difference between "deep cycle" and non deep-cycle fee free.

SMG -can you run a battery on its side like that??

I'm still a month away from buying one as I won't be reunited with the truck until next month but CCA will be an issue in Mass so I'm gonna get me lots a that.

Thanks everyone, great stuff. Only Nader mentioned the Die Hard. Because it's a dying breed or were folks not fond of them? I've had a few over the decades and they seemed pretty fine to me. I also have a dual battery tray in my truck and space galore so that's no an issue, at least.

EVDL Library

This should tell you a bit about batteries and stuff.

I'm using a single Optima blue top to start my 12HT. I purchased it last year when I was looking for the largest CCA deep cycle battery I could find as I did not want run dual batteries on my diesel. I don't use the glow screens and the battery has not given me any trouble in starting the engine.

i bought these optima back in 2000 , i opened this underseat box only once , it was in 2010 just to look if everything was fine.
i did not use an isolator , just two marine switch , red top was for driving and yellow top for winching , somethime i use the yellow for a couple days to keep it full charge , or both in the same time for cold start in the winter

i don't know which brand i will bought the day they die

DSCF1396.JPG

DSCF1399.JPG

In FJ 40 I use Red top Optima for almost 3 years and good so far....In my Chevy I used Exide from home depot-lasted 6 months and before that battery from Autozone which lasted 2,5 years...I got refund for both of those crapy batteries...Now I run Napa and good so far...

I see both Napa and Autozone sell Optima batteries according to their website. That seems easy enough. So I just have to choose my favorite color?

HOly crap those Odyssey batteries cost more than my truck

there are differences between different color Optimas - yellow and blue are deep cycle, red top is not - blue also has some extra terminals

@sproggy you can buy Optima batteries from Summit racing with free shipping cheaper than your local autoparts store. Incidentally most local stores won't carry the blue top.

HOly crap those Odyssey batteries cost more than my truck

But you get exactly what you pay for. I'll say it again, I will never purchase another Mexican manufactured Optima of any sort, not even if you offered me a brand new one, with free shipping, for $50

I read that you can't have both high CCA and deep cycle....in one battery. The battery has to be configured toward one or the other of those goals. I'm thinking for me in the MA winter it is more important CCA. But I see a lot of folks on here are running deep cycle batteries. I don't have a winch, extra lights, or even a radio. It seems to me deep cycle would only be a benefit to me if I left my lights on and drained the battery. Certainly possible, and from what I understand the non deep cycle battery would be quickly killed if depleted more than a couple times where as the deep cycle welcomes it. Any thoughts on this guys/gals?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom