what would you replace your TLC with ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pinzgauer is great, but has some disadvantges. You can already see from that picture that the loading floor is very high. So in terms of height you don't win so much. And you shouldn't be in a hurry :p

But how the chassis is done with the axles is very nice! And very capable.

However, just like the Unimog, I think it is hard to get in North-America. They are already not so easy to find in North-America. They are already hard to grab (or just expensive) here in Europe.

Last edited:
I agree with abuck99, if I had to replace my Cruiser, a Chevy ZR2 Duramax Colorado would get a serious look by me. I have owned Toyota 4x4s since 1980 with one miserable 84 Chevy Blazer in the mix. That Chevy is why I have owned Toyota’s since. I think the current Tacoma is ok, but the Colorado is a serious alternative. I think GMs build quality has improved since mid 80s and I think the Colorado ZR 2 has it right, and might be worth giving Chevy a 2nd chance. Toyota doesn’t seem to push the envelope any more with their US 4X4 offerings.

I agree with abuck99, if I had to replace my Cruiser, a Chevy ZR2 Duramax Colorado would get a serious look by me. I have owned Toyota 4x4s since 1980 with one miserable 84 Chevy Blazer in the mix. That Chevy is why I have owned Toyota’s since. I think the current Tacoma is ok, but the Colorado is a serious alternative. I think GMs build quality has improved since mid 80s and I think the Colorado ZR 2 has it right, and might be worth giving Chevy a 2nd chance. Toyota doesn’t seem to push the envelope any more with their US 4X4 offerings.
Only concern I would have in chevy light trucks is the front end-axles, suspension, bearings, etc. They have always been underbuilt. The new tacoma has a pretty beefy front suspension and drivetrain. The tacoma 3.5 has a terrible power curve though.

The only thing I would trade my 80s for would be a VDJ79. Nothing else.

I’ve owned a G Wagon (G55). No room inside. It was the most cramped vehicle. The power was fun. But it’s German. Screw that.

Wouldn’t be caught dead owning a GM or Heep.

Depends. If this vehicle is also your ride to/from your place of employment, call your local AutoZone/Napa/Oreilty auto parts store.
Ask them what trucks and SUV's they have starters, alternators, water pumps, formed hoses and belts on the shelf or can be on the shelf in 24 hours or less.
Buy a 4WD variant of anything they tell you.

Depends. If this vehicle is also your ride to/from your place of employment, call your local AutoZone/Napa/Oreilty auto parts store.
Ask them what trucks and SUV's they have starters, alternators, water pumps, formed hoses and belts on the shelf or can be on the shelf in 24 hours or less.
Buy a 4WD variant of anything they tell you.

My Toyota dealership can have virtually any critical part in a day. And I wouldn’t have to worry about replacing it in a year.

My Toyota dealership can have virtually any critical part in a day. And I wouldn’t have to worry about replacing it in a year.

The Toyota dealerships where I live are closed on Sunday, and I've **NEVER** had any parts delivered in under 3 days. Napa/AZ/Oreiley is a stop gap while I wait for the Toyota dealership to get the part in.

The Toyota dealerships where I live are closed on Sunday, and I've **NEVER** had any parts delivered in under 3 days. Napa/AZ/Oreiley is a stop gap while I wait for the Toyota dealership to get the part in.

You aren’t supposed to break things on the weekend! :rofl:

Maybe I’m lucky as there is a Toyota distribution center in KC? If I order something I have it next day. Only exception is Saturday to Monday.

if I replace it or if I went to do it all again I would build an early 90s dodge with the cummins 5.9.

I bought a 95 with LM7 5.3 and 4L65e, a 60 transfer case w 2x conversion and manual hubs, airlockers and farkle

Putzing on it has been fun. Took off the 37’s and put 35’s on it, put in ARB drawers and have more stuff in boxes waiting to go into rig. Bought a welder to fix/make a few things. Am happy
85BF8BE6-B9FD-42AF-97FF-3B35C9E62B00.jpeg
05427A13-7C35-4C02-B88D-EE912A23F9D9.jpeg
39222EC3-8A28-48D6-A1C3-67B834B59AC2.jpeg

There are a lot of nice imported 80 series available with diesels, factory lockers, etc. Might be a good option.

A $1,500,000 EarthRoameR. Purchased with someone else’s $1.5m of course.

68EB48CB-165D-4A23-A7FA-FC99E816A0C4.png

based off one of these. a 2500 with the 5.9 cummins and manual transmission.

View attachment 1803009
I had one of those with the Cummins but it had the Auto and was a longbed. Great truck, as far as the cummins was concerned. I sold it, and it is still riding around in MS with 430k miles on it. I would probably get back into a pickup if I got rid of my 80. Or maybe a 100 or 200.. Gwagen or troopy...or...

I had one of those with the Cummins but it had the Auto and was a longbed. Great truck, as far as the cummins was concerned. I sold it, and it is still riding around in MS with 430k miles on it. I would probably get back into a pickup if I got rid of my 80. Or maybe a 100 or 200.. Gwagen or troopy...or...
yeah I don't think I would get an auto for what I want. granted auto tends to be better in certain areas but between the auto that they used to put in the dodges and the manual, ill take the manual...
and yes, the cummins 5.9 is a beautiful thing.

yeah I don't think I would get an auto for what I want. granted auto tends to be better in certain areas but between the auto that they used to put in the dodges and the manual, ill take the manual...
and yes, the cummins 5.9 is a beautiful thing.
Yeah, especially in the second gen, those autos suck. The guy I sold it to is having issues with it now. A manual would definately be better.

One of my pilot cars on my last big load, had a 2002 quad cab, short bed, 4x4 diesel, manual everything. Those things are a rare find.

images

Pinzgauer!!!

While the pinz has lats of room and drives nice on flatter trails it wouldn't go where I want to go.
A friend at I were out in the Bradshaw Mnts , north of Phx when we came upon a group of three pinz, one 6x and two 4x, and a short
wheel base mog. It turns out that it was a dealer with potential customers. They were parked at the bottom of a steep, loose hill.
We watched as each tried over and over to climb the hill. None made it over half way.
Just to be annoying, after they stopped trying , we nonchalantly drove past the group and climbed the hill with little effort.
I was driving a '68 FJ55 , ARBs front and rear, TBI350 with 35's. My friend had a Samurai with FJ40 axles, 2.8 v-6, ARBs and 33's.
Just to be more annoying we drove down and then back up the hill in reverse.
When I go out on a long trip I don't want to be restricted to where I go by the truck I'll drive. I be driving a solid axle Cruiser for
a long time even if it means tent camping.
Everyone has different ideas of what camping and wheeling entails and what comforts they'll live with and without. Base your vehicle choices on that. If your idea is getting to that most remote campsite at the end of a nearly impassable trail, the pickup with a full size bed camper
is probably not your best choice.

While the pinz has lats of room and drives nice on flatter trails it wouldn't go where I want to go.
A friend at I were out in the Bradshaw Mnts , north of Phx when we came upon a group of three pinz, one 6x and two 4x, and a short
wheel base mog. It turns out that it was a dealer with potential customers. They were parked at the bottom of a steep, loose hill.
We watched as each tried over and over to climb the hill. None made it over half way.
Just to be annoying, after they stopped trying , we nonchalantly drove past the group and climbed the hill with little effort.
I was driving a '68 FJ55 , ARBs front and rear, TBI350 with 35's. My friend had a Samurai with FJ40 axles, 2.8 v-6, ARBs and 33's.
Just to be more annoying we drove down and then back up the hill in reverse.

Very interesting! What was limiting the pinzes and the mog? Weight, lack of flex, or something else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom