Galaxy tab for torque and gps? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody running this setup?

Yep, well, running a Nexus 7. Works great! I tether from my Nexus 6P for internet while on the road. It's mounted to the dash using a Scosche magnetic mount and it holds firm.

Link to mount: Amazon.com: Scosche MAGDMB MagicMount Magnetic Dash Mount for Mobile Devices: Car Electronics

Word to the wise though - if you do use the magnetic mount, make sure you clean the dash with a rubbing alcohol swipe or it won't stick for long (so I found out).

Pic:
TTPxsbR.jpg

Last edited:
Cool! Thanks

I assume that's a second gen (2013) nexus tab @SurfSwitch ?

I booted up my 2012 for the first time a few days ago with this intention and man, is it slow. Takes between 30-60 seconds to open each app. It's crazy how outdated the hardware gets in just a few years.

Is yours snappy?

I assume that's a second gen (2013) nexus tab @SurfSwitch ?

I booted up my 2012 for the first time a few days ago with this intention and man, is it slow. Takes between 30-60 seconds to open each app. It's crazy how outdated the hardware gets in just a few years.

Is yours snappy?

Mine is great. I have virtually nothing installed on it anymore so I'm sure that helps.

I was wondering how a new tablet would handle music, Nav and torque pro. The galaxies have split window capabilities.

@SurfSwitch you should try running the android auto app on that nexus and see if you like it. i'm running it on my 6p with a similar mount, have it set to auto-run when the phone connects to my GROM bluetooth module. it's a pretty sweet interface for use while driving. try it out, if you like it i may consider a similar route since i like the idea of having a larger screen.

@SurfSwitch you should try running the android auto app on that nexus and see if you like it. i'm running it on my 6p with a similar mount, have it set to auto-run when the phone connects to my GROM bluetooth module. it's a pretty sweet interface for use while driving. try it out, if you like it i may consider a similar route since i like the idea of having a larger screen.

I run it on my 6p! I don't have the Nexus up there all the time, but that's a good idea. My only grip with Android Auto is Waze not working with it.

I run a similar setup with a iPad Mini for my Delorme Earthmate maps, I use a RAM Suction mount to hold it and it has been a stable platform so far.

Would you mind posting photos of your setup @BoiseFJ?

I'm looking to do something similar assuming Santa comes through this year (haha).

I ended up just using my Note phone, on a scoche mount, instead of the Tablet. It seemed like the Tablet took up too much real estate.
I'm kinda meh on the Torque app. I mainly wanted it for trans temps on mountain driving, but I can't figure out how to get it to display. It's good for reading codes otherwise.

How'd ya mount the Tab S2 @reznunt? (Yes, I'm unashamedly trolling for mounting ideas.)

Made a little mount for the front seat tab. Used Ram parts for the rest. Solid as a rock!

tabmount1.jpg
tabmount2.jpg
tabmount3.jpg

I ended up just using my Note phone, on a scoche mount, instead of the Tablet. It seemed like the Tablet took up too much real estate.
I'm kinda meh on the Torque app. I mainly wanted it for trans temps on mountain driving, but I can't figure out how to get it to display. It's good for reading codes otherwise.

I did the exact opposite, going from a Note to a 9.7" tablet. Note worked well, but I just couldn't see it very well and the Arkon mount I had it on bounced around on the trail. Had to stop to get my bearings.

I use one of the cheap 7" Amazon Fire tablets, along with the Dual GPS puck since it doesn't have an internal GPS. I run Torque on it mainly, but can use it for navigation also. Although I tend to use my phone or garmin gps for that more often. Works great.

cockpit photo.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom