R2.8 Cummins FJ40 Swap Cost (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

einstein

SILVER Star
Threads
I am debating on putting a R2.8 cummins in my 69 fj40, what other costs are involved with this swap

$8999 crate engine
$1353 Axis R2.8 to chevy ls adaptor
$502.99 Advanced adaptor to chevy bellhousing

I have a brand new in crate h55f with a new clutch.

Just trying to see what other costs are involved in this swap, also what shops are doing it and there

estimated costs. Seriously considering this versus the ram jet 350.

Matt

Everything mentioned above plus a whole lot of nickel and dime things that will be required along the way. Safe bet would be 15k easy

Damn, I think the R2.8 Cummins will e a great Power Train, but, 15K is also a huge amount. Actually, the R2.8 in an FJ40 would be the best solution in the modern day.

Reactions: SMG
I am debating on putting a R2.8 cummins in my 69 fj40, what other costs are involved with this swap

$8999 crate engine
$1353 Axis R2.8 to chevy ls adaptor
$502.99 Advanced adaptor to chevy bellhousing

I have a brand new in crate h55f with a new clutch.

Just trying to see what other costs are involved in this swap, also what shops are doing it and there

estimated costs. Seriously considering this versus the ram jet 350.

Matt
You'll need an intercooler plus the associated tubing and couplers.
You'll need a second flywheel because the Axis adapter is for Gen III/IV GM flywheels.
Not sure if the clutch will be compatible with the flywheel.
Bracket for the clutch slave cylinder.
New exhaust.
Drive line mods?
Motor mounts.
https://cumminsengines.com/uploads/docs/5504137-cummins-repower-r28-installation-guide.pdf

If you want the R2.8 and Toyota transmission, I think you'd be better off going through Torfab. He's putting together a kit for the 60 series but I don't think he has much for a 40 yet.

I certainly wouldn't go Ramjet 350 as an option.

Interested to hear why you say that Todd.

There are a lot of those engines in Jeeps, street rods, sleepers, etc around here, and people do not seem to speak poorly of them.

What are your experiences with the Chevy RamJet engine?

X2. If it's not sequential port injection I wouldn't spend the money and take the time to swap it into a 40.

Ancient tech. Gen III motors are far better and cheap. Way more drivability and ease of use. Will last 150,000 miles longer. And will pay for itself in resale value.

5.7 is 1955 tech. The only thing it's newer than is a stove bolt 6.

Fair enough.

:beer:

Ancient tech. Gen III motors are far better and cheap. Way more drivability and ease of use. Will last 150,000 miles longer. And will pay for itself in resale value.

Totally agree.

Sorry to bring back a dead thread, but I had to offer my opinion, and I feel the 2.8 is still a relevant topic in terms of engine swaps...

The 2.8 is showing itself to be a fantastic motor, but being a aftermarket-only option there is not currently a "junkyard" option for these motors, and this puts the cost of install out of reach for 75% of the public. for $9,000 just to get the motor, its a motor swap that can end up costing more than the vehicle it went in ($20-25k to have a shop put it in, and it may have only been a 15k vehicle to start with...)

As for the Chevy 350, it depends on the vehicle condition, budget and expectations of power.

1955 age comment?, are we forgetting the Toyota F engine is based off 1939 GMC designs? putting a date on a design isn't relevant to its effectiveness. If reliability and parts availability is a consideration, I would rather use an engine that has was used in production cars for 45 years, and continues to be available brand new from the manufacturer as well as the aftermarket. There is not a motor you can put in a FJ (or really in ANYTHING that has enough room) for less HP/$.

While there are huge benefits of EFI, and the LS (or Gen 3) chevy engines are miles ahead in terms of tech, I think it should also go without saying that there is nothing nostalgic about a LS engine, or even a modern cummins. Original or not, a period correct 350 can look right at home in a 70's cruiser.

ALL THAT being said, I have my original F engine in my cruiser and hope to keep it there. IF i was going to do any motor swap (other than a 2F) it would be a small block chevy 305 or 350, probably keep it carbureted but MAYBE a simple low cost TBI install. I enjoy the old character of these FJ40's, and thats why I own one. for me, the character is also in the old simple mechanics, not the miles of wiring to control individual coil packs for each cylinder...

Sorry to bring back a dead thread, but I had to offer my opinion, and I feel the 2.8 is still a relevant topic in terms of engine swaps...

The 2.8 is showing itself to be a fantastic motor, but being a aftermarket-only option there is not currently a "junkyard" option for these motors, and this puts the cost of install out of reach for 75% of the public. for $9,000 just to get the motor, its a motor swap that can end up costing more than the vehicle it went in ($20-25k to have a shop put it in, and it may have only been a 15k vehicle to start with...)

As for the Chevy 350, it depends on the vehicle condition, budget and expectations of power.

1955 age comment?, are we forgetting the Toyota F engine is based off 1939 GMC designs? putting a date on a design isn't relevant to its effectiveness. If reliability and parts availability is a consideration, I would rather use an engine that has was used in production cars for 45 years, and continues to be available brand new from the manufacturer as well as the aftermarket. There is not a motor you can put in a FJ (or really in ANYTHING that has enough room) for less HP/$.

While there are huge benefits of EFI, and the LS (or Gen 3) chevy engines are miles ahead in terms of tech, I think it should also go without saying that there is nothing nostalgic about a LS engine, or even a modern cummins. Original or not, a period correct 350 can look right at home in a 70's cruiser.

ALL THAT being said, I have my original F engine in my cruiser and hope to keep it there. IF i was going to do any motor swap (other than a 2F) it would be a small block chevy 305 or 350, probably keep it carbureted but MAYBE a simple low cost TBI install. I enjoy the old character of these FJ40's, and thats why I own one. for me, the character is also in the old simple mechanics, not the miles of wiring to control individual coil packs for each cylinder...
You can put a carb on a LS motor, it has been done a million times. You could even put one of those self learning carb looking efi kits on a LS. The benefit of the LS is they are just as cheap as a used 350 but you get great flowing heads and roller rockers right out of the box. In addition all the LS stuff is very cheap if you know where to look. Guess how much a 200 amp alternator is for a LS motor?.....
A measly 100.00! I just bought a pair of aftermarket o2 sensors for my ls, I think is was 15 bucks for the pair.
How to Swap in a Carb-Equipped LS Engine - Super Chevy Magazine
But if you keep the efi, you can keep the OBD2 diagnostics, which gives you a little help when trying to troubleshoot.

I got the approval from my wife to order an R2.8....at the end of next year. Still consider it a huge win though. I've been researching this engine a lot and I don't think they could make it any easier to do the swap. You literally just have to connect ONE wire to your existing harness (Ignition switch). It has virtually everything you could need. It comes with the fuel pump and filter, PS pump, pedal assembly, vacuum pump etc, etc. You only have to provide the radiator and intercooler. I've read the entire installation manual and it seems super easy. You can literally start it inside the crate. I really just need to figure out what tranny and t-case to use. Also if it's anything like the 2.8 Duramax, you can plug in a tuner and easily get +50 hp and +60 tq with a mild tune. I'm sure some guys will get 300+hp and 400+tq out of it.

You can put a carb on a LS motor, it has been done a million times. You could even put one of those self learning carb looking efi kits on a LS. The benefit of the LS is they are just as cheap as a used 350 but you get great flowing heads and roller rockers right out of the box. In addition all the LS stuff is very cheap if you know where to look. Guess how much a 200 amp alternator is for a LS motor?.....
A measly 100.00! I just bought a pair of aftermarket o2 sensors for my ls, I think is was 15 bucks for the pair.
How to Swap in a Carb-Equipped LS Engine - Super Chevy Magazine
But if you keep the efi, you can keep the OBD2 diagnostics, which gives you a little help when trying to troubleshoot.

My point was not to try and say the Gen 1/2 small block chevy's were in any way superior to the LS motor, it was only to say that still in today's world its still a viable option for an engine swap, mainly based on cost and parts availability as well as the simplicity in the swap. I also think it looks alot more retro (with proper engine dress up kit) then any modern engine

there was a comment on how it was derived from engineering that was put into production in 1955. using that logic, the Toyota F engine was from engineering derived from GMC in 1939...

The LS is a great engine, and can be run on a carb (although in that swap EFI may as well be included). its the universal "This engine will kick ass in _______ vehicle" where the blank is just about anything due to its ability to push huge power with a OHV configuration keeping such a tiny package. but just because its a great engine doesnt mean the 350 isnt worth using. its often half as complicated and very affordable using donors, and if your not driving the wheels off your vehicle you may not see the LS benefit. Also, if you want to have the 70's vibe the LS will kill some of that.

I got the approval from my wife to order an R2.8....at the end of next year. Still consider it a huge win though. I've been researching this engine a lot and I don't think they could make it any easier to do the swap. You literally just have to connect ONE wire to your existing harness (Ignition switch). It has virtually everything you could need. It comes with the fuel pump and filter, PS pump, pedal assembly, vacuum pump etc, etc. You only have to provide the radiator and intercooler. I've read the entire installation manual and it seems super easy. You can literally start it inside the crate. I really just need to figure out what tranny and t-case to use. Also if it's anything like the 2.8 Duramax, you can plug in a tuner and easily get +50 hp and +60 tq with a mild tune. I'm sure some guys will get 300+hp and 400+tq out of it.

The 2.8 (from what I have seen and read) is a fantastic motor, its just hard considering the cost, to see it as an option. I have too many old project cars to sink that much coin in one. I get though, that if it was my only old car I would see the benefit of making it very very nice, but I have less than $9000 in my whole rig! (and hope when I am done tinkering it will still be the case) and I also only drive it one or two days a week. I drove my old cars ALOT more before I was handed a work truck...

I owned 12v cummins for years and love the benefits of torque and fuel economy a diesel can provide, but at the price of a brand new LS engine, I wouldnt be able to pull that trigger.

I am of the mind that any V8 is a lot of motor for s 40 series. I put them in the 60 series for a living and it is a game changer for a vehicle of that size and weight. If I were to build out the 40 I own, a 69, the Cummins 2.8 would be a big contender, and I am not a big diesel fan. In my mind it is the perfect blend of size and utilitarian for the vehicle.

In regard to cost, I guess it depends on where your 40 falls in the family vehicle pecking order. Doing it for yourself, figure, guessing here, $16-20K if you replace all surrounding systems as well. It is a big Investment. That is what it should be considered. Fact is, Resto-Mod Land Cruisers are selling for bigger money than Restored Land Cruisers. 40s may have leveled off a bit in the market but they are still a valuable asset. Making it more road worthy and safe adds to it's value and reliability and therefore makes it a candidate for more use in your stable, or another's if you sell.

It'll be a while before the 2.8 makes any kind of showing on the used market.

1955 age comment?, are we forgetting the Toyota F engine is based off 1939 GMC designs? putting a date on a design isn't relevant to its effectiveness. If reliability and parts availability is a consideration, I would rather use an engine that has was used in production cars for 45 years, and continues to be available brand new from the manufacturer as well as the aftermarket. There is not a motor you can put in a FJ (or really in ANYTHING that has enough room) for less HP/$...

I’m not forgetting. What did you think the stove bolt 6 comment was for?

Putting a date on a design is hugely relevant to its effectiveness. Th 2f is a ancient tractor motor. It can’t be made to rev. It can’t make horsepower. It gets terrible mileage and emissions. Comparing a 2f to anything modern in a positive way is just having nasalgic blinders on. It’s old tech. Do you think engine tech hasn’t advanced in 75 years?

A gen 3 motor out of the box is 300 hp, 300k reliable. A 350 would need to be built to get there and would never be anywhere close to as reliable. Gen 3 has been made for 30 years now. There are parts everywhere. Tons of aftermarket. And they can be had used for $300. You can’t build a 350 to make 300 hp for $300. A cam and stock ls3 intake and you’re 400 hp without trying.

I love the 350. I’ve had many. It is what it is. It’s a good engine that is way past it’s sell by date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom