Blast cabinet recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll take the lathe if that would help clear the way.

Finally tried this thing out tonight on a few parts, it works AWESOME. Soooo much better than that little benchtop model I had before (which I'm trying to sell on CL now).

IMAG0472.jpg

It was a B-I-T-C-H to put together, getting that big plastic "cone" piece down inside the cabinet. Had to take the gloves off and half of the legs (after I had just put them on... grrrrr... :bang:). Then it's just a matter of dumping in the media, hook up the air to ~70 psi, go for it. I won't run it without wearing a respirator, even though I have the vacuum collector attached. Now that it's hooked up and working, I'm gonna run some hard line and mount a water separator to the side. Might get the foot pedal kit too.

Thanks for the help gents, good advice as usual. :beer:

Now I'm a bit jealous , lol . I've had that Snap-On cabinet a long time , about long enough for an upgrade as it's a pain to use due to the cone being to low of a taper - it doesn't flow the media for squat .
How is the lighting in that model Scat ?
Curious how well the Vac40 works over time , please report .

Sarge

The light kinda sucks, honestly. That's another thing I need to address. It's a single socket that takes a PAR20 spotlight, but those bulbs are not very durable. I bumped it while blasting and POOF that bulb was done. Might try to find some LED spots.

The vac unit is much quieter than a ShopVac, so it's worth the expense just for that.

You are right about the LED spotlights. I mounted two extra lights in mine: one is right in between the rubber gloves. Makes a huge difference but they take up space, I cut away most of the lamp holder so in a pinch I can unscrew the bulb to gain space.

I also bought a used foot pedal that was old but made in USA. I just disabled the trigger and kept the same gun. This is also a great upgrade.

A foot pedal is worth the coin , using mine with the trigger Scat gun is pretty hard on my old hands for sure . Look into some flush mount leds , it will make some holes in the cabinet but for the most part they should hold up . I'd recommend using some protective film so the lenses don't get destroyed by the media flying around since they will outlast any regular light bulb . I just run 2 of the adjustable angle spotlight fixtures in the rear corners and one up front between the gloves . Most times still using a high power led head band light since I'm pretty much half blind now , but it works . I just use the rough service bulbs and they hold up pretty well .

One word of advice - learn to blast your parts away from the viewing window - or you'll go through a lot of replacements . I adapted my frame a bit since Snap-On wanted nearly $50/each for new ones . I'm just using double strength hardware glass sheets cut to size - two at a time cost me $12 , good enough .

Make sure to rotate your nozzle every couple hours of run time , change air jet every other nozzle as it will keep from wearing the gun body and make it work more efficiently . I love the tungsten nozzle kit , so nice not to wear them out so quickly .

Sarge

I'm taking over our huge shop space when a co-worker retires in a few weeks. We teach welding and small engine repair (among other things) in there, and I really want to put in a blast cabinet. I have a small benchtop model from Tractor Supply, it's OK but not great. Got it cheap on CL, so no regrets. I have about ~$1000 left in my budget to get rid of or I'll lose it, wondering about this model:

ALC Top and Side Door Opening Abrasive Blast Cabinet — 36in., Model# 41402 | Abrasive Blasting Cabinets| Northern Tool + Equipment

They also sell this model with a dust collector, but it's $1300, not sure I can swing this. I know you must have one, but I'm wondering about the nice industrial Shop Vac we have, would that work? We also have a big Jet dust collector but it's for woodworking, not sure it will work for this.

We have an enormous air compressor, so that's no problem.

Suggestions?
This might be a little outside of your budget, but we got the Raptor Blaster 4226 for our shop about a year ago, we use it all the time, and we're very happy with it.

This might be a little outside of your budget, but we got the Raptor Blaster 4226 for our shop about a year ago, we use it all the time, and we're very happy with it.

Thanks for the Skatblast recommendation, just what I was looking for. Just ordered the #800-T cabinet with the vacuum accessory.

88f14f5d599091ea0792f95809289c38

I have the perfect spot to put it, air & electric already there. Can't wait, now I can get that cheap-o benchtop model out of my basement.

Considering he bought something two and a half years ago, I’m guessing it’s a moot point...

TP has a LED kit to add to there cabinets, it is a big improvement. They had a cabinet at the Hershey car show with there original light
and the LED kit. Like night and day. I was going to buy one and asked when they were switching over to just LED, they didn't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom