Builds Box Rocket 1980 1st Gen Hilux (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had a couple hours to work on the truck on Saturday. Still working on getting the steering conversion all buttoned up but also tried to get some preliminary measurements for the front shocks. Floor jack wasn't tall enough. :( still have several inches of travel left at both ends but I think I was able to estimate close enough to know how to proceed.

It will be a stretch but I'd really like to have this driveable again by Friday for my sons birthday. He'd definitely be more excited about that than I am. We'll see how the week goes.
885CA1C6-7A62-404A-B0DB-9298D31ED567_zpsmkqnlub8.jpg

CEBF38F4-C123-4FA6-8D59-0382A98BD2A1_zpsnd1ciwrp.jpg

42CC855E-EAAD-4D35-8775-2390DA1699BE_zpslkb0sg9q.jpg

5D5192E3-333C-4338-8438-5961F0C10DEE_zpsnmpp0wiz.jpg

few more pics of stuff being worked on. Did a little interior cleanup and installed a new steering wheel. It already had an aftermarket wheel but it was falling apart.

Finished up the steering box frame plates and sleeves.

Cleaned up the steering box and got it painted. Should be buttoning up the power steering conversion tonight.

Alright. Power steering is complete and working great....but I do need to extend my steering shaft. It's too short and separated at the splines on a test drive to an empty field down the street to check 4WD stuff. I attribute it to frame flex.

Have had a few hiccups with brakes. I got some FJ60 vented rotor and later style minitruck calipers. Found out that the there are two style of knuckles on these early trucks. The '79-80 truck (which this one is) the rotors bolt onto the hub with 6 bolts. The '81+ trucks have hubs where the rotors attach by pressing the wheel studs through the rotors/hubs and then two bolts through the rotor. I initially picked up rotors for an '87 FJ60 which I found were not going to work. Had to exchange them for '80 Land Cruiser vented rotors which attach with bolts like the original rotors for the pickup. Not a big deal but a small detail I wasn't aware of ahead of time.

Got the brakes all set up and bled but they wouldn't hold pressure. Found the brake master cylinder was bad and leaking. Replaced the master cylinder last night and rebled the system but its still not holding pressure. I don't see any leaks but I must have some lines that aren't holding pressure. I plan to replace the rubber lines with stainless braided lines and hopefully that will solve it. Any other possible sources of lost pressure in the system? As a reminder, the truck has new rotors, new front calipers, new front pads, new rear shoes, new master cylinder.

It has to either be a leak in the system, or a bad master cylinder. Fluid's gotta go somewhere.

Where did you get the replacement master cylinder? Did you bench bleed?

It has to either be a leak in the system, or a bad master cylinder. Fluid's gotta go somewhere.

Where did you get the replacement master cylinder? Did you bench bleed?
Master Cylinder is a new Napa one. I did bench bleed and it went as expected.

Alright. Power steering is complete and working great....but I do need to extend my steering shaft. It's too short and separated at the splines on a test drive to an empty field down the street to check 4WD stuff. I attribute it to frame flex.

Have had a few hiccups with brakes. I got some FJ60 vented rotor and later style minitruck calipers. Found out that the there are two style of knuckles on these early trucks. The '79-80 truck (which this one is) the rotors bolt onto the hub with 6 bolts. The '81+ trucks have hubs where the rotors attach by pressing the wheel studs through the rotors/hubs and then two bolts through the rotor. I initially picked up rotors for an '87 FJ60 which I found were not going to work. Had to exchange them for '80 Land Cruiser vented rotors which attach with bolts like the original rotors for the pickup. Not a big deal but a small detail I wasn't aware of ahead of time.

Got the brakes all set up and bled but they wouldn't hold pressure. Found the brake master cylinder was bad and leaking. Replaced the master cylinder last night and rebled the system but its still not holding pressure. I don't see any leaks but I must have some lines that aren't holding pressure. I plan to replace the rubber lines with stainless braided lines and hopefully that will solve it. Any other possible sources of lost pressure in the system? As a reminder, the truck has new rotors, new front calipers, new front pads, new rear shoes, new master cylinder.

Sorry, I think I misdirected you on the rotors when I gave you the part number I used on my '82.

Referring to what was talked about on IG, you'll want to make sure the bleeding procedure includes the LSPV, or replace it with a manually adjustable valve.

Sorry, I think I misdirected you on the rotors when I gave you the part number I used on my '82.

Referring to what was talked about on IG, you'll want to make sure the bleeding procedure includes the LSPV, or replace it with a manually adjustable valve.
I'm already looking into manual proportioning valves.

Very cool, my son and I are kind of doing the same thing. He will start driving in about 4 months and we purchased a 1980 pickup about a year ago. They are fun and easy to work on. Enjoy the project! Here is a picture of our 1980. I am the 2nd owner, basically stock. View attachment 1335805
Evening, Meatdog. I recently picked up a 83 4x4. I really dig the hubcaps on your truck. Did they come with the truck or did you buy them in the aftermarket? Any info would be appreciated.

@Meatdawg has a mini with the same wheels and hubcaps that came on early-to-mid Land Cruiser FJ-40s. The wheels are 15x5.5" and are around $100 each (with discount) from Toyota. Hubcaps are still available, as well, for $15-$20 each.

I have a set that were on my 1986 4x4 and now reside on my 1989 4Runner.
IMG_0232.JPG
IMG_1012.JPG

Got a bit more work done on Saturday. Extended the steering shaft to complete the power steering conversion. Swapped in a new Aisin brake master cylinder from a early 80 series (drum brake rear) that should work great. Still losing pressure in the brake system but I believe I've finally tracked it down to the front brake lines. No visible fluid leaks but when I pinch off the lines the pedal is nice and firm and the rear is braking as expected. I'll be ordering new extended front brake lines today and hopefully put this stupid brake system behind me once and for all.

Since I moved away from the brakes my son and I whipped out a front bumper on Saturday as well. My son doesn't like the look of tube bumpers on these trucks so we built a "plate" style. Started with a Trail Gear winch plate and built off from there. We actually used some 2x5" rec tube for the front sides and added a bit of plate to the top to close up the gap to the grill. Really happy with the tight fit to the grill for good approach angle. I dislike a lot of the bumpers that stick out way to far in the front. Will be a tight fit for the winch (and require removing the grill to install the winch, but the grill will fit once the winch is in there). Still a few things to finish up. We've got a pair of 10" HIDs that will be going on under the hoop. Still need to cap the ends (or extend the wings back to the fender well), and add a bit more lateral support back to the frame and it should be good. Needs paint of course.

Except for the hoop that looks like the same general idea as the Front Range I have.
20171015_101239_crop.jpg

Was able to wrap up the front bumper over the weekend. Overall, pretty happy with the end result. Also installed new SS braided brake lines up front and in the rear. Gotta fix a dumb mistake with the calipers tonight and this thing is ready to drive. Still a bunch of mods planned but it's to a good useable state now.

You're going to need some real driving lights. Those puny little round things just ain't gonna cut it!

Great build, followed your FJ40 on Pirate back in the day, Mud and now Overland...with your 80series. So much fun seeing a dad son project.:beer::beer:

Rob

Had an alignment done this morning to get the toe dialed in a bit better than my garage adjustment. Everything is looking great except for the camber of the left front. It's still within spec but right at the upper end of the range. Gotta dig into that a little as I'm not sure what would be causing that. I put an angle finder on the hubs when I assembled the axle to check to see if the housing was straight and the numbers were good. Hoping I didn't miss something and have a bent housing.

But I drove the truck the 30 miles to work this morning and its surprisingly nice to drive on the highway. I need to adjust timing to match my carb adjustments but for the first real road test I'm pleased.

... but for the first real road test I'm pleased.

It's always a good thing when you can drive a 35+ year old truck and say you are pleased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom