1hz turbo running hot? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
gday blokes.

My 1hz has been running hot since my new fuel pump went on. It used to idle at about 80 degrees but now its at 90ish and also runs pretty damn hot at 100kmh. About 100 degrees without pushing it too hard. Thermostat is okay, I replaced the fan clutch although original is perfectly fine. The water pump is also new and so is the radiator. The toyota water temp gauge does not move past half, after market gauge probe at top water outlet.

The radiator concerns me because I think it could be the problem. I had to replace it because the fan spun into the radiator after the water pump flange came off the shaft. It was a $330 plastic tank copper brass one after market but identical to toyotas.

I have advanced the fuel pump a bit which knocked EGTs down a little more although its max is 400 pre turbo. Changed nothing

Should I get a new radiator from don kyatt or aussie desert cooolers or could it be something else making my engine hot?

seems you dialed everything right in there .. altho EGT's seems to be normal, still fuel can be an issue . . did you trust in the diesel lab that works on your pump .?

injectors worked at the same time .?

Injectors are 40,000km old. The pump is an off the shelf denco from MTQ laverton all rdy to go. Never had an issue before. Though it was only making 88rwkw and pump was buggered.
Just took it out for a test and it went up to 101 degrees and sat there even when I was back at 60kmh. Could it be s*** quality fan clutch?

I put the original fan clutch that has 470k km back in and dropped the temps by about 10 degrees. Would this suggest that its the fan clutch thats the problem? I might go to toyota and get the oil and refill the original

Im not sure what 1HZ fan clutch you have but the one in mine is user serviceable. I took it apart, drained the silicone and replaced it with 30,000 weight cst oil and also retimed its engagement per landtanks thread in the 80 series section. The combo of adjustment and heavier silicon oil reduced my temps 10-12deg F when pulling long hills at elevation during the summer months.

I put the original fan clutch that has 470k km back in and dropped the temps by about 10 degrees. Would this suggest that its the fan clutch thats the problem? I might go to toyota and get the oil and refill the original

I think that clearly points to the fan clutch as the issue, if that's the ONLY thing that changed and the temp dropped noticeably.

Yup, I second servicing the factory fan. I bet it'll make all the difference. So many people do a huge amount of work on their coolant system when really all they needed was some new oil in their viscous fan hub.

I've tried aftermarket brand new ones and they suck.

I put 15,000cst oil in my fan hub, and adjusted the spring actuator (turn on) temperature down a bit. Best cooling modification ever.

If nothing changed but the fan hub, then yes. Sounds like you have a crap hub.

You can tune the Toyota fan clutch as well as add oil.

You should be able to hear the fan

Update: dynotuned and produces max 100rwkw because new pump isnt pumping enough fuel. It stabilised the temp range a bit. 30k oil put into fan clutch and it definitely roars now. Its not a blue clutch so cant do any other adjustments.
No difference to temperature its running at ~91degrees idle. I used to be running that sort of temp in 40degrees heat earlier this year with engine under load.

Should I put in a $800 radiator or is there something else I haven't checked?

All the genuine 80series fan clutches I've played with have been adjustable. I put an 80series clutch in my HZJ105

I've had good results with $300 Adrad, plastic tank, alloy core radiators in a couple of vehicles

What cruiser is your
1HZ in?

Have you tested the thermostat out of the car?

Did you fit a new radiator cap? If it's not sealing properly your cooling system can't work at its best.

I dont have an 80 series fan clutch is why. New radiator cap and the thermostat is working fine. Engine is 1hz with gturbo+intercooler

I'm assuming the coolant was replaced with all the work you did? Maybe the mix is off? Not enough water would mean less heat transfer.

Also, with an IDI, more power = more heat. At 110kw you've basically doubled the rear wheel power.

Is your intercooler front or top mount? Does it get good airflow? Fan?

Also, with an IDI, more power = more heat.

If this was the problem, I think EGTs would be higher.

Incorrect injection timing could affect the amount of heat in the head.

I dont have an 80 series fan clutch is why.

You didn't say what model cruiser, and it's not really clear if you settled on a Toyota fan clutch or aftermarket. More info from you will usually get you better answers.

Advice could vary depending if you have a 70, 80, 105 series or something else

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom