LC 200 Air Bag Suspension install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2016 LC 200 and am looking for a shop in Northern Virginia area that can install the firestone air bags in the rear. Any ideas?
thanks

Iron Pig Off Road

Don't mean to reboot a very old thread, but just FYI, Iron Pig Off Road will NOT install airbags onto the LC200. I called them and was told that the owners do not want to get involved with it.

Not to reboot an old thread as well. But I would have thought it would have been an easy install for IPOR. Strange that they would say no.
I figure with a lift, the install time would be less and a tad easier than when I did it on my FJC out in the driveway years ago.

Call around, but the installation is pretty easy and any shop with a lift can do it in less than 2 hours. My local mechanic and I did my install together - he'd never done it, and I just went off the instructions at LandCruiser 200 - Airbag Man Heavy Duty Airbags - Project 200. We did the install in 2 hours, including sometime he was BSing with customers. What actually look us a while was the air compressor install, since I wanted to mount it where the jack was.

Anyone added air bags after already having an ARB/OME/Nitrocharger/UCA lift done? I would like add airbags not for any lift but for 2 reasons:
1. To help mitigate porpoising and a wee bit of rear end sag when towing our trailer. (I already use a WD hitch and the sag isn't bad.)
2. To aid in leveling when camping without the trailer (and sleeping in the rear of the LC.)

I also already have an ARB on board air system under the hood. Can I use that instead of installing a compressor? Any thing I should watch out for? Can I trust my local dealership? (I know they have done airbags for other Toyota trucks.)

There is a lot out there about the Firestone systems. I'm just wondering if anyone has put anything else on their lift LC and why. Also thought I heard a rumor of an improved Firestone system coming out. Anyone heard anything like that?

For another resource, I would check out the 100-series forum. Our 200-series, especially the rear axle, is not so different than the 100-series. There's a lot more experience on that board in regards to airbags. I believe the lessons learned there would directly be applicable to the 200-series.

Interesting thought on using it to level for car camping. If you don't tie the bags together as a single circuit (which best practices recommends you shouldn't), might even be able to slightly level side to side.

As another idea, what do you use to level your Lance? Perhaps those same blocks or ramps could be useful to level the car?

Last edited:
@Dan Higgins, I have the tough dog lift, not OME but the height and handling is similar. You need a different height airbag or you need to cut off one less bounce stop ring, since the spring is taller.

Anyone added air bags after already having an ARB/OME/Nitrocharger/UCA lift done? I would like add airbags not for any lift but for 2 reasons:
1. To help mitigate porpoising and a wee bit of rear end sag when towing our trailer. (I already use a WD hitch and the sag isn't bad.)
2. To aid in leveling when camping without the trailer (and sleeping in the rear of the LC.)

I also already have an ARB on board air system under the hood. Can I use that instead of installing a compressor? Any thing I should watch out for? Can I trust my local dealership? (I know they have done airbags for other Toyota trucks.)

There is a lot out there about the Firestone systems. I'm just wondering if anyone has put anything else on their lift LC and why. Also thought I heard a rumor of an improved Firestone system coming out. Anyone heard anything like that?

I'll chime in that if you go with the Firestone bags, you don't need a separate compressor or on board air. A bicycle pump works just fine. It takes very little effort (like I mean almost none) (really, just a few pumps with a good bike pump) to inflate the bags to operating pressure. :cool:

Thread resurrection alert!
Have any of you that have done air bags had issues with air leaks or bags tearing?

Thread resurrection alert!
Have any of you that have done air bags had issues with air leaks or bags tearing?
No issues with mine after 50k miles

I've been shocked at what my Firestone bags with Airbag Man covers have been through with zero issues. The only downside has been the reduced rear travel/articulation.

I haven’t had any issues with my air bags either. Mine have been used and abused while towing a very trailer as well. Only thing I wish I did at initial install is to use a “T” so I only have One valve to pump and monitor.

The same time I installed the air bags I had done DBA rotors (DBA42722XS) installed and the rear ones didn’t age well. My front rotors are fine but I have to replace the rear ones since they are prematurely worn but not warped yet. I’ve driven less than 40k since install.

I won’t be using these rotors again that’s for sure. I have them in all 4 corners and I don’t think they’re worth the extra money. I’ll be replacing them with rotors and pads from brakeperformance.com

Thanks for the speedy replies guys!
I'm trying to get set up for towing and one installer I just called said he wouldn't install them because they tend to develop problems such as leaks or tears after about a year or so. Our plan is to tow near the LC's weight limit and everything I've heard on here is that airbags in the coil springs are a good option to stay level when towing, preserve ride when not towing, and not detract too much from off road capability.
No issues with mine after 50k miles
Excellent. I've been following all of your towing posts, btw.
I've been shocked at what my Firestone bags with Airbag Man covers have been through with zero issues. The only downside has been the reduced rear travel/articulation.
Great to know - I'm not a serious (legendary!) off roader like you so hopefully this won't affect me too much. The type of trailer we're planning on getting won't do off road beyond some ruts.
I haven’t had any issues with my air bags either. Mine have been used and abused while towing a very trailer as well. Only thing I wish I did at initial install is to use a “T” so I only have One valve to pump and monitor.
This is reassuring - I've read using a "T" has some pros & cons. Great if you're level, not so great if you're not. I have no idea how mine will work out so I was planning on 2 separate lines at least to start. Which air bag did you go with?

Not sure what your installers issue is but if the bags leak initially, it is probably the tubing not being cut straight. This actually happened to me and once it was fixed, it hasn't given me a problem since. Instructions says to keep at least 5 lbs of pressure in them at all times. When loaded I pump them up to 45-50lbs. When one of my trailers is full, I'm towing 16k lbs and I've had no issues with controlling the load. Without the bags, it was a huge issue due to the droop.

(16k is truck and trailer weight, sorry I wasn’t clear. Just recounted the last number when I was on the scale)

The bags I use are the Firestone bags, just the standard one that I got from Amazon. If you're planning on towing and since you'll have the springs out in the rear, I suggest getting some upgraded springs. Not the heavy duty ones, just the standard one if you want to maintain the ride without a load. Make sure you have a brake controller and the brakes on whatever you're towing is well maintained. I use the EBC Towing pads and I find that it helps alot. I tested them towing my boat fully loaded and after 5 hard stops, brake fade became an issue.

Last edited:
Not sure what your installers issue is but if the bags leak initially, it is probably the tubing not being cut straight. This actually happened to me and once it was fixed, it hasn't given me a problem since. Instructions says to keep at least 5 lbs of pressure in them at all times. When loaded I pump them up to 45-50lbs. When one of my trailers is full, I'm towing 16k lbs and I've had no issues with controlling the load. Without the bags, it was a huge issue due to the droop.

The bags I use are the Firestone bags, just the standard one that I got from Amazon. If you're planning on towing and since you'll have the springs out in the rear, I suggest getting some upgraded springs. Not the heavy duty ones, just the standard one if you want to maintain the ride without a load. Make sure you have a brake controller and the brakes on whatever you're towing is well maintained. I use the EBC Towing pads and I find that it helps alot. I tested them towing my boat fully loaded and after 5 hard stops, brake fade became an issue.
Did you just say you are towing 16k pounds? With what vehicle? Not a LC I assume

I'll second what Citius said. I had a leak on one side and it was due to the installer not cutting the tubing straight and a missing O ring. I was extremely disappointed in the installer I used. I noticed the leak during the first road trip after install. I was able to fix the leak and haven't had any issues since.

I didn't discuss details with the installer as all he said was that they're OK initially but after a while they have problems in about a year's time. I was kind of surprised to hear this.

16K lbs - wow. Our Keystone 33F was half that weight dry (12K loaded IIRC) and we didn't tow it with my 100 series LC which I had at the time.

So I've seen the airbag installation videos and they all say to make sure the tubing is cut straight.
Ditto on keeping 5lbs in them at all times.

Re the controller: I had the Redarc Tow Pro Elite installed but have yet to try it out with a real trailer - hopefully it was installed right! I'm kind of concerned about it as this is the first time I've had an after market controller installed.

Re the towing pads: this is new to me. Thanks for the tip.

When you say upgrade to "standard springs" what do you mean?
I was planning on leaving the springs stock as towing will be for vacations, i.e. the exception, at least for now.
What about a variable rate spring? My parents had them put on a large Mercury sedan and they were great as the unloaded ride and the loaded ride felt almost the same - both pretty smooth.

I'll second what Citius said. I had a leak on one side and it was due to the installer not cutting the tubing straight and a missing O ring. I was extremely disappointed in the installer I used. I noticed the leak during the first road trip after install. I was able to fix the leak and haven't had any issues since.
I bet you were disappointed. I'd be furious if I was stuck out on a trip with a failed suspension due to that kind of installation. The more I talk to installers the more jaded I've become. There seem to be a lot of bozos out there.

I couldn't believe the stuff I heard from supposedly reputable speed/sound shops regarding my dual battery install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom