Builds Joined the 40 club! 1970 FJ40 Frame off build... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice start! I could’ve missed it, but if it hasn’t been said, the windshield hinge screws are not a normal Phillips bit, they are a JIS spec screw head. A JIS bit will get a better/deeper grab & help keep from stripping the heads.

Mine were stuck solid but after a coulple days soaking with PB Blaster, some heat from a map gas torch and a JIS bit (got off Amazon) in an impact drill, they all came right out without breaking or stripping.
View attachment 1574163

Another trick I found that worked well was to bump the bolt tighter first, then back it out, just one more trick to help loosen the rust bond.

Good luck and have fun!

Yep, bringing this home from work tonight, along with a torch for the PTO drive-line. Yours looks fancier...

20171114_125301.jpg

Nice! Hey, if it gets the job done doesn’t matter how it looks!
I didn’t have access to one locally, so had to go the new purchase route.

I've never messed with pto drives personally, but looking at that pic looks like it moves only forward and back to either engage or disengage. The lower bolts without nuts don't need nuts. Those bolts are installed with the inspection cover removed underneath and then the bolts are installed. The lower Trans ears are threaded.

I've never messed with pto drives personally, but looking at that pic looks like it moves only forward and back to either engage or disengage. The lower bolts without nuts don't need nuts. Those bolts are installed with the inspection cover removed underneath and then the bolts are installed. The lower Trans ears are threaded.

Oh from the inside...doh. Makes sense!

Thanks White Stripe.

So been reading/searching for a couple weeks straight learning as much as I can. So grateful for this resource since this is my first resto mod .

I would like confirmation on what I think I've learned concerning a power steering conversion on my rig:

Adding power steering means eliminating the 3 on the tree…

Three in the floor requires three mods – gear shifter with new cover, mechanical lever in place of my front drive vacuum, and a floor transfer case lever in place of the one under my dash..is this correct?

If so then my dilemma is PS vs keeping the unique nostalgia of 3 on the tree.

you can do power steering and keep the 3 on the tree.... might take a different collum but it can be done....

gm steering collum with 3 on the tree and a saginaw conversion....

Frame is cleaned up and ready to get sand blasted. The inside of the box frame was very solid and smooth when I scraped but I did get some big chunks of rust in places. Not sure where they came from when all the walls were smooth and solid. I figure I will spray a bunch of rust converter in there.

IMG_6318.JPG

20171124_140122.jpg

20171124_140049.jpg

20171124_140151.jpg

That motorcycle tho! What kind of rear tire is that? Btw, your frame looks awesome, good job. Your garage also cleaned up well.

That motorcycle tho! What kind of rear tire is that? Btw, your frame looks awesome, good job. Your garage also cleaned up well.

Thanks Liko! That bike was my first restomod ever. 1985 Honda Nighthawk. Got a divorce and it was my therapy. Took me a year to do a complete frame off. Tires are Continental. Here is a video if it links correctly:

Last edited:
Between the holidays and bad weather I was unable to get much painting done, so spent a lot of time cleaning, blasting and ordering parts. I did get the OME 2 1/2" on, still needs to be torqued and grease in the zerks.

20171224_204311.jpg

Anti inversions look a little funny, I assume they will straighten out with weight.

20171224_200735.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom