Aisan carb rebuild problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
image.jpg
I'm pretty much through the disassembly and cleaning part of the rebuild, but I find that one of the butterfly shafts is very tight and difficult to turn. I'm planning to try light oil, but am wondering if there's something else I ought to do. It's the right hand one in the pic.

Not sure if it’s a no-no. I had a cast iron base that was badly rusted so I soaked it in evaporust. And then of course light oil. I use Rem Oil.

Last resort, You can remove the butterfly but you have to very carefully grind the staked end of the screw. If you try to remove the screw while it’s staked you risk snaping the head off. Then you’ll have to drill it out. Not fun:confused:. Then of course wetsand the shaft and pivot holes. You’d need to find new screws and re-stake them.

Last edited:
thx! yah I'm hoping to avoid remoning the betterfly

good thinking.
soak it for a day or two in carb cleaner, apply a penetrating oil or two and work that shaft (the one on the right). repeat as needed.

What ever you have been “cleaning” it with ain’t cuttin’ it. Soak it in some dip type carb cleaner like Berryman’s ChemTool for a day.

...and take the cap off the idle mixture screw, so it will be a full cleaning.

What ever you have been “cleaning” it with ain’t cuttin’ it. Soak it in some dip type carb cleaner like Berryman’s ChemTool for a day.
I soaked it for 24 hours in a can of Gunk brand carb cleaner. I'll see if I can find some Berryman's somewhere. Btw thanks for the great videos on youtube!

If you are in CA, the special CARB approved formula carb dip doesn’t work like the stuff you can get in the other 49 states.

I'm in MA, so I'll go to napa and see what they have. Gunk may be formulated for all 50 states.

So I got a can of carb dip from Napa (manufactured by Mac), which seems to be about the same effectiveness as the Gunk carb dip. It stayed in the dip for about 3 weeks, and I checked it every couple of days. It now finally moves pretty freely, so I've got it standing up on end and I'm giving it a squirt of carb cleaner and working it in by rotating the shaft. I think it's almost ready, so I can go back to the rebuild finally. Thanks for the help.

Use a lubricant from here. Carb cleaner and carb dip are poor lubricants.
Yes, that's the plan, I just wanted to make sure there was no more gum in there. I'm planning to use some very light oil, do you have recommendation?

Bill- If you think there is rust around the butterfly shaft you might feed some rust remover down the shaft. Permatex Rust dissolver works great. It’s a pink gel, I believe it used to be labeled “naval jelly”. If you have a small butane torch you can heat the area to help draw it in. As I stated earlier, evaporust works good also.

REM oil is light and works good:beer:

Bill- If you think there is rust around the butterfly shaft you might feed some rust remover down the shaft. Permatex Rust dissolver works great. It’s a pink gel, I believe it used to be labeled “naval jelly”. If you have a small butane torch you can heat the area to help draw it in. As I stated earlier, evaporust works good also.

REM oil is light and works good:beer:
Thanks, There's no visible corrosion staining on the shaft, and it felt like it was gummed up, and now nice and smooth after finishing up with the carb cleaner. So I'm going to oil it and call it good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom