Builds Meet Phoenix aka Zombie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was thinking the same, maybe rocking from D to R trying to get unstuck...maybe doing Neutral drops to try and peel out. Whatever happened, I think we may have found the root cause of why it was parked many moons ago.
I'm guessing you're right - looks like the kind of thing that would get a rig put in the pasture for the 'ol "I'll get to is someday" repair. Like I said earlier, this truck is lucky you adopted it.:wrench:

I was thinking the same, maybe rocking from D to R trying to get unstuck...maybe doing Neutral drops to try and peel out. Whatever happened, I think we may have found the root cause of why it was parked many moons ago.
That looks more like a neutral drop catastrophe than rocking back and forth. To have THAT much of the gear completely sheared off is just NUTZ!.

I'm guessing you're right - looks like the kind of thing that would get a rig put in the pasture for the 'ol "I'll get to is someday" repair. Like I said earlier, this truck is lucky you adopted it.:wrench:
Now I just need some luck finding a used case or a gear set. Georg didn't have any right now.

That looks more like a neutral drop catastrophe than rocking back and forth. To have THAT much of the gear completely sheared off is just NUTZ!.
No doubt, it's hard telling how long they drove it around while it chipped off more gears.

Call Torfab and see if they have one.

I don't known what the going rate it, but there's a complete h42 and t-case for sale locally for $400 (Canadian) - I think that's like $300 your money. I think he also has it posted to this site in the Canadian section. Anyway. Good for comparison- or maybe check into freight...

I have one but I need to move it before I start pulling it apart. I will PM you my number and we can talk.

The difference between the transmission and TC is crazy.

IMG_8474.JPG

IMG_8475.JPG

IMG_8468.JPG

IMG_8479.JPG

That is nuts... at least you know the seal between the two seemed fine!

Decisions decisions...as I'm breaking this T Case down, and it's reluctantly giving up its parts, the 4:1 gear set is on my mind. With the lift, 33s will run no problem as far as fit is concerned. The 4:1 has a 10% under for overdrive, pretty much negates the difference between stock and 33s. Not to mention the lower range...So...is the change worth the $$. I'm going to tag you @LAMBCRUSHER as I know you have a lot of miles in the 62. All opinions from others are welcome and I would appreciate them. Any other drivetrain change recommendations?
@74fj40 you planted the seed...

Last edited:
Anytime you have to use a gear puller to get the output shaft center race assembly (probably not the accurate name) out...makes for a good time.

IMG_8488.JPG

Gotta say, the ultrasonic cleaner is clutch...makes progress a balancing act...it works amazing, just takes an hour and a half per batch. Meanwhile, I'm just sipping beers waiting...normally would be scrubbing parts. So, several batches later and many beers later, here's where it's at..ready to send the cases to the hot tank (just have to press the front output shaft out) and ready for a gear set.

IMG_8500.JPG

Last edited:
My gears did not look like that. I am still running them. you could swap in all parts and front half of a late 60 series case, and not have to make driveshaft changes, etc... you should hit up @cruiserfj45

My gears did not look like that. I am still running them. you could swap in all parts and front half of a late 60 series case, and not have to make driveshaft changes, etc... you should hit up @cruiserfj45
We talked yesterday, good guy. I'm going to swing by his place today.

One of my biggest complaints about the splitcase is the 1.9:1 low range, but I run an h42 in front of it. You have a huge benefit with an automatic. Most torque converters have a 2:1 multiplication factor, essentially doubling your overall crawl ratio.

It’s easy enough to pull the transfer case and do gears another time. I say get this thing in the road. $1000 is a lot of money for gears, plus a rebuild kit, plus machining the case etc. Maybe just get it running and driving well and assess the low range situation after?

Anytime you have to use a gear puller to get the output shaft center race assembly (probably not the accurate name) out...makes for a good time.

View attachment 1591812

Gotta say, the ultrasonic cleaner is clutch...makes progress a balancing act...it works amazing, just takes an hour and a half per batch. Meanwhile, I'm just sipping beers waiting...normally would be scrubbing parts. So, several batches later and many beers later, here's where it's at..ready to send the cases to the hot tank (just have to press the front output shaft out) and ready for a gear set.

View attachment 1591813
what kind of utrasonic cleaner are you using?

One of my biggest complaints about the splitcase is the 1.9:1 low range, but I run an h42 in front of it. You have a huge benefit with an automatic. Most torque converters have a 2:1 multiplication factor, essentially doubling your overall crawl ratio.

It’s easy enough to pull the transfer case and do gears another time. I say get this thing in the road. $1000 is a lot of money for gears, plus a rebuild kit, plus machining the case etc. Maybe just get it running and driving well and assess the low range situation after?
I'm thinking the same thing. I have a few good leads on a stock gear set. Everything else looks like it will clean up ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom