transmission fluid ok? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I drained the trans, changed the A/T filter and filled it back up with Valvoline max life full synthetic. is this an acceptable Automatic trans fluid for a A343F? should i be using penfrost
i noticed some slight whine ever so often...not all the time when its cold and only when I'm accelerating but stops whining when i let off the gas.

is my Transmission breaking? A/T fluid is slightly over the max hot measurement, ive been thinking of draining a little out. i drove with fluid being warmed up for about 30 miles below the minimum level hot and above the cold max level. i did not notice any slippage or burn smell.

The Valvoline max life full synthetic is perfectly fine. What did the old fluid look like?

To check the AFT level make sure the engine and trans are warmed up (drive 10 miles or so) and check the ATF level with the engine running.

I replaced mine ( all 15 quarts) with the Valvoline max life 1500 miles ago everything is all good.

I vaguely remember reading something about the transmission being picky about being overfilled. Maybe try a search on that.

I replaced mine ( all 15 quarts) with the Valvoline max life 1500 miles ago everything is all good.
When changing the trans fluid, you may want to remind members that Toyota used 2 different automatic transmissions in the Land Cruiser. The A440F and A442F will take more fluid to refill after draining, then the A343F does. The A440F and A442F used from 1990 to 1994 has a capacity of 16.4 quarts, and the A343F used from 1995 to 1997 has a capacity of 11.7 quarts

Last edited:
To recap on this the method i used to change my atf was via transcooler by disconnecting one of the lines...start engine drain 2 quarts,turn off engine add 2 quarts, shifted thru all the gears, i went thru 15 quarts and stopped there when i confirmed atf was nice and red.
Then checked dip stick.

I drained the trans, changed the A/T filter and filled it back up with Valvoline max life full synthetic. is this an acceptable Automatic trans fluid for a A343F? should i be using penfrost
i noticed some slight whine ever so often...not all the time when its cold and only when I'm accelerating but stops whining when i let off the gas.

is my Transmission breaking? A/T fluid is slightly over the max hot measurement, ive been thinking of draining a little out. i drove with fluid being warmed up for about 30 miles below the minimum level hot and above the cold max level. i did not notice any slippage or burn smell.

Valvoline max life is fine. Being just 'slightly' over the full 'hot' mark should not hurt anything.

Do you remember about how much fluid you used to replace that which was drained?

When I do a 'drain and fill' it takes almost 3 qts. to refill mine. BUT...when I had my pan off recently, more fluid dripped down from the valve body and other internals and it required a full 4 qts. to get it back up to level.

In any case, let your dipstick be the 'judge'. Engine and transmission warm, engine at idle, check fluid level.

When changing the trans fluid, you may want to remind members that Toyota used 2 different automatic transmissions in the Land Cruiser. The A440F and A442F will take more fluid to refill after draining, then the A343F does. The A440F and A442F used from 1990 to 1994 has a capacity of 16.4 quarts, and the A343F used from 1995 to 1997 has a capacity of 11.7 quarts

The door sticker on my says A343F. Is that even a transmission?

Valvoline max life is fine. Being just 'slightly' over the full 'hot' mark should not hurt anything.

Do you remember about how much fluid you used to replace that which was drained?

Yes, i believe it was 6qrts...maybe 6.5. I changed the filter as well and more drained. I let it drip for and hour while i scraped gasket material off the pan.

When I do a 'drain and fill' it takes almost 3 qts. to refill mine. BUT...when I had my pan off recently, more fluid dripped down from the valve body and other internals and it required a full 4 qts. to get it back up to level.

In any case, let your dipstick be the 'judge'. Engine and transmission warm, engine at idle, check fluid level.

Are you checking the fluid level while the engine is running? It will often read high when checking while not running. Also just so you are aware the drain and fill is a partial change (about 25% of the volume). A good start but even better (in my opinion) is a full fluid exchange via the transmission cooler.

As for fluid choice thats the same stuff I use, as do many other folks on the forum.

As @ZackR stated, you only changed PART of the transmission oil. There is a torque converter full of oil that needs to be drained and refilled.

If you swapped out the old transmission oil with a new synthetic, you now have some bastard of a blend in there of part synthetic and part standard oil.

Follow the FSM and look at how many quarts for a full fill.

I used 20 quarts (yes, that's 5 gallons) to do the exchange from the transmission cooler. There are a few threads on the forum about this.

The door sticker on my says A343F. Is that even a transmission?
Yes that's the model of automatic transmission that's installed in your truck. The A343F transmission was installed in the 1995 through the 1997 model year Land Cruisers delivered in the U.S. market.

Yes that's the model of automatic transmission that's installed in your truck. The A343F transmission was installed in the 1995 through the 1997 model year Land Cruisers delivered in the U.S. market.

Yep.

I believe you will find it in the 1998-2001 Land Cruiser/LX470 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom