Next Meeting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is this smoke on the old or new version? Keep me posted. :(

Sort of a long story. I did try a different sort of oil this summer and it totally broke down to carbon colored water viscosity. Engine started burning a bit blue after that. I'm going to start by rebuilding the turbo tomorrow. I strongly suspect the crappy oil did in the turbo seals. However, my short block was abused when the truck was still in Japan (owners let water sit in the rear cylinders and rust them pretty badly). I've known for years I'd eventually have to address this. So, I have a spare short block now too. But I'm hoping I can push that job off for a little bit yet. Symptom there is above average blow-by. Although the new short block I bought turned out to have similar damage....but less severe. So thinking about full bottom end rebuild now. It seems to be somewhat common for this damage to occur when the owners in Japan kept driving the trucks after they cracked the cylinder heads. It pits the head and cylinder, and will rust things bad if they're running straight water for coolant, which is what many of them do. :bang:

Can I ask what oil? I’d like to avoid it. Lol. Hope the turbo rebuild helps enough to push off the block rebuild awhile. Good luck!

It's a re-branded oil, so I'm not sure who the manufacturer actually is. If you stick with the Shell Rotella and other popular oils guys talk about on here you'll be fine. This was the stuff I had bad luck with: MotoMaster 10W30 Semi-Synthetic Diesel Oil | Canadian Tire Pretty sure it initially broke down while I was towing hard this summer. Also, the oil requirements for modern CRD diesels are different than the requirements for our ancient IDI turbo diesels. What is good for one is not necessarily good for the other.

It's a re-branded oil, so I'm not sure who the manufacturer actually is. If you stick with the Shell Rotella and other popular oils guys talk about on here you'll be fine. This was the stuff I had bad luck with: MotoMaster 10W30 Semi-Synthetic Diesel Oil | Canadian Tire Pretty sure it initially broke down while I was towing hard this summer. Also, the oil requirements for modern CRD diesels are different than the requirements for our ancient IDI turbo diesels. What is good for one is not necessarily good for the other.

Yeah crappy tire oil always struck me as dodgy.

The ct app is actually quite useful, believe it or not.

you can get alerts when something you want goes on sale.

The big 5gallon pails of rotella get marked down every few months. I got last two in duncan a few months back. App said there were 22 in stock, figgered I'd be ok to wait, then someone bought 20 pails...:eek: :lol:

Yeah crappy tire oil always struck me as dodgy.

The ct app is actually quite useful, believe it or not.

you can get alerts when something you want goes on sale.

The big 5gallon pails of rotella get marked down every few months. I got last two in duncan a few months back. App said there were 22 in stock, figgered I'd be ok to wait, then someone bought 20 pails...:eek: :lol:

Yeah, I've always bought the Rotella at CT on sale and used that. Thought I'd try something different. Fail.

20 pails! Jeez. Maybe they use it in their heavy equipment or something.

Actually, I went through the whole thing and settled on 15W40. I had the 12HT running funny on 10W30, so
I switched back. It was Motomaster 10W30, but I felt it wasn't viscous enough so went to a heavier weight.
I'm using the Motomaster 15W30 Semisynthetic now. Seems to be okay, still clean after the Yukon run ~2500 kms now.

Well, I popped a spare turbo on today, and the problem did not change. Being that the valve seals were done just a couple years ago, the problem is most likely the short block. Meh. Back to swapping out the short block sooner than later. January maybe. This time of year is just too busy with all the stuff I don't want to be doing...LOL.

Actually, I went through the whole thing and settled on 15W40. I had the 12HT running funny on 10W30, so
I switched back. It was Motomaster 10W30, but I felt it wasn't viscous enough so went to a heavier weight.
I'm using the Motomaster 15W30 Semisynthetic now. Seems to be okay, still clean after the Yukon run ~2500 kms now.

I had been running 10w30 winter and 15w40 summer. I have started my engine in -25C with 15w40 before when I was in the interior in winter. NOT a good idea. Had bearing bits from my cam bearings in my oil after that start. Put new bearings in since... Lesson learned.

Webasto!! doesn't seem so expensive now. I was running the 10W30 but it just wasn't cold enough.
I ran that Royal Purple to the Yukon in 2015, but I didn't change it until I was back and after close to 12,000 kms.
I'll keep with the 15W40 for now. No winter trips planned for near future.

Cruiser pilot sent me a rather lengthy write up on oils by a vetran diesel mechanic, long and drawn out but very good information..

In the end with all the oil jargan talk and stuff, he concluded that motorcycle oil is one of the last oils not being regulated and highly recommends 20w50 fully synthetic in a diesel for up to 15000KM..

Last edited:
wow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom