How far would you drive... (1 Viewer)

What is the maximum distance you drive with a stock sized spare on if you had 315/75r16?

• Not an inch

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Finish a trail

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Down a gravel road

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • On pavement, directly to a tire shop

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • What's the problem? I've been driving around like this for months

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think it would for me at least depend on circumstance and distance more than the above.

I not just how far, it's how fast.

I would go 1000 miles at 5 mph.

From personal experience, you can make it about 15 miles at 100 MPH before the diff gets hot enough to shear off the pinion and start the rear axle on fire.

*slowly* to home or the nearest tire shop, whichever is closer. This is my current setup. Looking for a 285/75/17 for an "almost full size" spare that will still fit under the truck.

So begs the question why? I was in that position sometime ago running 35's without a spare. Simply run down to any tire store and buy a pull-off or used one in the 315 size. Think I paid maybe $20 for one. Was it pretty or matched or great? no. But was closer than a whole size mistmatch.

So begs the question why? I was in that position sometime ago running 35's without a spare. Simply run down to any tire store and buy a pull-off or used one in the 315 size. Think I paid maybe $20 for one. Was it pretty or matched or great? no. But was closer than a whole size mistmatch.
This is directed at me? My thought is I want the spare under the truck. 315 doesn't fit (maybe a nearly bald one?) 285/75/17 is 34" versus 34.5" so it's pretty darn close. Enough that I would feel comfortable reaching highway speed rather than holding up traffic on my way to the tire shop. I also carry a patch/repair kit FWIW.

They also sell an interco 34x10.5x16, but reports from the local tire guy is that it's actually more like 33" once mounted. 35x10.5x16 is mega expensive and also might not fit under the truck.

This is directed at me? My thought is I want the spare under the truck. 315 doesn't fit (maybe a nearly bald one?) 285/75/17 is 34" versus 34.5" so it's pretty darn close. Enough that I would feel comfortable reaching highway speed rather than holding up traffic on my way to the tire shop. I also carry a patch/repair kit FWIW.

They also sell an interco 34x10.5x16, but reports from the local tire guy is that it's actually more like 33" once mounted. 35x10.5x16 is mega expensive and also might not fit under the truck.
No, lol, it wasn't. Just saying picking a close to full size spare can be pretty affordable. And of course depends are where you are going to haul it or store it. :)

Unfortunately, yes. 1972 Chrysler Town & Country Wagon with Chrysler Corp 9" HD rear axle. Standard tire on the left. Had a flat on the right before I left for school. I was already late when I had to install the spare. I was 17. I "knew" about it, but didn't think it would happen to me.

The spare was about 3" diameter LARGER than the rest of the tires. I gave it hell and we were running 100-120 on the way to school. Stopped at a stop sign, accelerated hard off the line and the driveshaft popped off. I figured I sheared the U-Joint, but when I looked under the car, the DS was banging around on the ground with the yoke still attached and there were flames coming out of the differential. It had actually sheared off the pinion and started the gear oil on fire.
We were even later for school.

That was a tough one to explain to Dad.

Last edited:
How far would you drive with a stock spare with 315/75r16's?

That's what a differential is for, right?!

Depending on rig year and speed, the first thing to happen will be the VC locking up.

Unfortunately, yes. 1972 Chrysler Town & Country Wagon with Chrysler Corp 9" HD rear axle. Standard tire on the left. Had a flat on the right before I left for school. I was already late when I had to install the spare. I was 17. I "knew" about it, but didn't think it would happen to me.

The spare was about 3" diameter LARGER than the rest of the tires. I gave it hell and we were running 100-120 on the way to school. Stopped at a stop sign, accelerated hard off the line and the driveshaft popped off. I figured I sheared the U-Joint, but when I looked under the car, the DS was banging around on the ground with the yoke still attached and there were flames coming out of the differential. It had actually sheared off the pinion and started the gear oil on fire.
We were even later for school.

That was a tough one to explain to Dad.

That's a great story! Should have stuck that spare on the front. :) Tough to do when you're 17 and late for school, I guess.

Depending on rig year and speed, the first thing to happen will be the VC locking up.

What does VC stand for?

Run small 315’s and use a 255/85 as a spare :meh:.

Carry a tire plug kit, compressor, and get AAA.

The real question is why are you driving around with a spare that is not the same size as your regular tires? That constitutes poor planning in my opinion. There is no comparison on the potential cost of buying a used tire vs. the cost of replacing a diff.

The real question is why are you driving around with a spare that is not the same size as your regular tires? That constitutes poor planning in my opinion. There is no comparison on the potential cost of buying a used tire vs. the cost of replacing a diff.

This kind of what i am thinking. If you are just driving around town with out a proper spare then you are going to have to accept calling AAA. Where i drive my cruiser there is no AAA. So i better be willing to fix it. A spare is a must as well as a compressor and a patch kit. If that is not enough you can find tubes that will work in a pinch. But you will have to break the bead, install tube and be able to seat the bead. Doable but not always easy. But a lot better than leaving the truck on the trail.

One more advantage I see to part time kit. Can run a mismatch up front to get home.

Do the whole "lock center diff, pull fuse, remove front driveshaft" deal and put the mis-match tire up front.

Another reason being part time 4x4 is convenient

This is the answer for me. Thanks.

I run 33" tires most of the time on my daily driver, but I just bought a set of 35" for offroading that I put on another set of rims. The larger spare will not fit without major mods, so I plan on just taking the 33" tire spare. The goal was to just be able to get back to a tire store with it.

there is a thing i picked in the army in case of emergency
deflate the large one and over inflate the small one

I've heard folks on here argue that's a myth: Larger tire still has just as much tread/circumference; it's just that the contact patch is larger.

Haven't really thought it through myself...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom