Towing with your LX470 or LC with AHC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I keep the OD off and keep my speeds at 55-60 mph. I only got about 9.5 MPG though but thats to be expected.

I took my 2002 LX470 to the Outer Banks, NC last week without towing a trailer.
I got 15.4mpg, 15.9mpg, and 15.4mpg. Looks like towing is going to require 40% more fuel.

This is a 23LB microlite. It weighs 4014. Tongue weight of 519. The advertised weight for these is about 3850. My weight is as it left the factory with options. I looked at R Pods but they're too small for me. I don't anticipate any trouble with pulling this. I am ordering a weight dist hitch and brake controller. I pulled it about 8 miles the other day with my 99 Land Rover Discovery which has less power than the LX. I had no sway or weight dist and kept it slow on side roads. It definitely made the Disco sag and I knew it was back there.

Shaggy, what are your impressions towing your Travel Trailer with your 2002 LX470?
I'm still trying to figure out how much trailer my 2002 LX470 can comfortably tow.

Shaggy, what are your impressions towing your Travel Trailer with your 2002 LX470?
I'm still trying to figure out how much trailer my 2002 LX470 can comfortably tow.

While it's not ideal it is working for me. If you are on flats most of the time you will probably be good. I've towed in the mountains a bit and I'm slow but steady. The AHC works fantastic at keeping her level.

Shaggy, got any more towing comments and perceptions ???
What towing mirrors are you using???
Like to know as its getting close to vacation time.

Probably a little later than most of these replies, but here's the rig I used from Michigan to Tennessee and back. No distro or sway control just the Toyota OEM hitch assembly from the "hidden" bumper hitch with a 5k capacity. Will have a new distro set up for the newer/bigger rig, along with an under mounted class III, but looking at dry weight of 5800 or so and want the 6500lbs spec. Love the 03 so much, I have trouble thinking about upgrading to a truck or some other TV worthy of a 5th wheel. Plus, admittedly it's very cool to go into your standard KOA or other commercial campground with a Lexus....

IMG_4575.JPG

Probably a little later than most of these replies, but here's the rig I used from Michigan to Tennessee and back. No distro or sway control just the Toyota OEM hitch assembly from the "hidden" bumper hitch with a 5k capacity. Will have a new distro set up for the newer/bigger rig, along with an under mounted class III, but looking at dry weight of 5800 or so and want the 6500lbs spec. Love the 03 so much, I have trouble thinking about upgrading to a truck or some other TV worthy of a 5th wheel. Plus, admittedly it's very cool to go into your standard KOA or other commercial campground with a Lexus....

View attachment 1589431

Wow. No weight distribution or Sway?
How about Brake Controller?
What was your Fuel Consumption?

I tow an Rpod 180 that is stickered at 2841 dry but still only 3300 lbs fully loaded
with all our stuff including bicycles and get approximately 10mpg with my 2002 LX470.
Nice thing about the Rpod is that I don't need to slap on towing mirrors.
I do have a Weight Distribution Hitch with Sway Control and a Brake Controller.
01 - Ready to pull out.jpg

Would have preferred WD, but the OEM Assy insert is made with rounded corners sufficient to prevent most receivers fitting so the WD hitch set up wouldn't fit. Totally wanted to use it, but went old school, slow down easy braking and and just staying alert. I did have a Prodigy brake controller, and really had no issues. Through the mountains, with OD off the entire time, I averaged 10 or so MPG. Really not bad considering all factors. AHC was amazing throughout and kept her in low, NOT limp mode. Worked as designed, comfortable ride the whole time, and was awesome. The TT was actually a Murphy bed, so tongue was probably close to 600 lbs,

WD and sway will be better, but this is a rugged, refined, and capable TV!! I've barely broken her in at 220k miles....

Through the mountains, with OD off the entire time, I averaged 10 or so MPG. Really not bad considering all factors. AHC was amazing throughout and kept her in low, NOT limp mode.

10mpg with what you were towing is much better than me.
Most of my towing was on flat ground.

I don't understand that you kept AHC in "low"? My AHC automatically switches to Normal when I get speed up to around 15mph. Also, what is "limp mode"?

when the tongue exceeds a certain weight, not sure what that is, but the AHC will keep the truck in low automatically. It attempts to go to normal, but then stays in low. As opposed to limp mode, where cars "limp" you along preventing catastrophic damage to the affected components.

I did inflate all tires, to near max on both the TT and rig, which helped increase MPG given the weight.

when the tongue exceeds a certain weight, not sure what that is, but the AHC will keep the truck in low automatically. It attempts to go to normal, but then stays in low. As opposed to limp mode, where cars "limp" you along preventing catastrophic damage to the affected components.

I did inflate all tires, to near max on both the TT and rig, which helped increase MPG given the weight.

I don't believe that is normal operation. As @cwmoser mentioned, you should raise back to 'N' once above 15-18 mph. I think you are overloading the system and it therefore cannot raise back to 'N'. I recommend looking into what is going on there.

Lots of great info here: Definitive list of AHC maintenance items

I don't believe that is normal operation. As @cwmoser mentioned, you should raise back to 'N' once above 15-18 mph. I think you are overloading the system and it therefore cannot raise back to 'N'. I recommend looking into what is going on there.

Lots of great info here: Definitive list of AHC maintenance items
Yes. @Ray J AHC can only hold so much weight. IIRC it’s 1,200lbs, including gear and passengers inside. Once you go over that it’ll stay in low and ride on the springs. Another thing is that if your rear springs are old and compressed, they won’t offer the same support for the system and your neutral pressures will be out of whack. If your pressures are higher than normal than the amount of weight the system can hold is degraded. It is a great system if you learn the ins and outs, limitations and proper care and maintenance. With over 200k on that LX I’d bet my next paycheck your pressures are high. New rear springs and a set of slew off-road coil spacers along with a diagnostic on the front end by way of TechStream may indicate you need a few turns on your torsion bars to adjust the front too.

@taco47001, depends on the paycheck :). Couldn't agree more about the quality overall of the LX for towing, comfort, reliability, and awesomeness of this rig.

Great advice and actually planning on replacing the springs and possibly putting in some bags this winter. Haven't heard about the slew off road coil spacers? Any more info on those? Intriguing. Better than bags?? Worth a complete AHC flush? Using the proper fluid of course.

I need to find a good shop in Detroit with Techstream. Dealer is decent, but couldn't find the electric brake pigtail so my confidence is less than high (I am in ground zero for the big 3 automakers). I may need a new VGRS and want a reading to find out if the wheel being off center requiring a simple adjustment or actually a failed VGRS. Hoping for the former.

Appreciate the tips, particularly since I don't plan to launch this anytime soon.

Yes. @Ray J With over 200k on that LX I’d bet my next paycheck your pressures are high. New rear springs and a set of SLEE off-road coil spacers along with a diagnostic on the front end by way of TechStream may indicate you need a few turns on your torsion bars to adjust the front too.

I only have 80k on my LX but I'm experiencing the same issues with high pressure/firm ride. I have new OEM AHC Springs and Slee 30mm spacers (thanks @beno and @cruiseroutfit !!) on the way as we speak. I'm hoping to gain back that buttery smooth ride soon. I may go the extra mile and replace AHC fluid as well since its been at least 3 years since it was done last.

Last edited:
Yes. @Ray J AHC can only hold so much weight. IIRC it’s 1,200lbs, including gear and passengers inside.

Wonder when towing its better to be in Sport Mode or in the more smoother riding modes?

I only have 80k on my LX but I'm experiencing the same issues with high pressure/firm ride. I have new OEM AHC Springs and Slee 30mm spacers (thanks @beno and @cruiseroutfit !!) on the way as we speak. I'm hoping to gain back that buttery smooth ride soon. I may go the extra mile and replace AHC fluid as well since its been at least 3 years since it was done last.

My 2002 LX470 now has about 39K miles.
Not sure I would describe the ride as "buttery smooth".
Have turned the Torsion Bar bolts 2 turns to lower AHC pressures.

My 2002 LX470 now has about 39K miles.
Not sure I would describe the ride as "buttery smooth".
Have turned the Torsion Bar bolts 2 turns to lower AHC pressures.

It's all relative. I was being somewhat facetious... it's "buttery smooth" compared to my previous BJ73 :rofl:.

Have you done anything to address your rear pressure?

It's all relative. I was being somewhat facetious... it's "buttery smooth" compared to my previous BJ73 :rofl:.

Have you done anything to address your rear pressure?

Before I made adjustments, Front=7.5Mpga-g and Rear=6.9Mpga-g.
I got my pressures down to Front=6.9Mpga-g, and Rear=6.6Mpga-g after 2 full CW Torsion Bar turns.

Not sure how beneficial for me to install 30mm spacers at the rear springs.

Check the thread I posted above. It convinced me to go with new rear springs and spacers. 6.9/6.6 is on the higher end of the threshold. @PADDO is very knowledgeable on AHC and recommends the lower end closer to 5.7 for the rear. I’m going to get as close to that as I can and then dial in the front near 6.5 and see how it rides.

Check the thread I posted above. It convinced me to go with new rear springs and spacers. 6.9/6.6 is on the higher end of the threshold. @PADDO is very knowledgeable on AHC and recommends the lower end closer to 5.7 for the rear. I’m going to get as close to that as I can and then dial in the front near 6.5 and see how it rides.

How much work is involved in installing 30mm spacers?
Is it something one can do without a lift?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom